Guns or Bows

Whackem'n'Stackem'

I don't think it's true hunting when you can smack a deer from 300yds away. Bowhunters are the true hunters in this great country of ours. I can understand those that hunt with guns b/c they may be physically unable to hunt with a bow, but for all those that take up arms to bag a buck b/c they can't get him with a bow is pretty sad IMO. I've done both and their is no comparison between the rush of slicin'n'icin' a deer from 25yds v/s pulling the trigger at 225....:taz:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I definitely love bow hunting and would much rather take one with my Bowtech but to call anyone sad for using a gun is the only thing that's sad. I support and encourage any legal method of hunting if it means there are more people are taking up the sport. There are plenty of those that think using a compound bow instead of tradition equipment isn't really hunting. I assume you are using a true stick and string?

I agree somewhat with Whack, but would express the point a little different. Bow hunting is definately tougher and requires more skill. I love bowhunting because of the challenge to get a deer close and manage to stay un-detected and make the shot. I don't think we could ever control the deer population with bows though. It almost seems un-fair to use the high powered rifle, but, I pack it when the season is in.... I really enjoy the muzzleloader seasons. Seems more fair to the animal and requires a good deal of skill having only 1 shot at closer ranges. My range is only about 100 yds with the smokepole.

The frustrating thing with me about modern firearms is that I have already been bowhunting for a couple months and usually have seen a few nice bucks and have deer activity figured out. Then here comes orange from every direction and a lot of these people are not responsible, ethical hunters and they keep me nervous and on edge.

I agree somewhat with Whack, but would express the point a little different. Bow hunting is definately tougher and requires more skill. I love bowhunting because of the challenge to get a deer close and manage to stay un-detected and make the shot. I don't think we could ever control the deer population with bows though. It almost seems un-fair to use the high powered rifle, but, I pack it when the season is in.... I really enjoy the muzzleloader seasons. Seems more fair to the animal and requires a good deal of skill having only 1 shot at closer ranges. My range is only about 100 yds with the smokepole.

Most modern muzzleloaders have a range of 250 yards. Why not use a flint lock? Wouldn't that be more challenging? Or I will ask the same question to you...why use a compound bow instead or a long bow or recurve? Seems un-fair to use a compound.

I'll tell you, I'm all for people using the method they appreciate the most for hunting, and I can certainly see where some people would find the reward in bagging a buck with a bow much greater than using a gun, but I can also tell you, the first time I took a deer using a flintlock pretty fantastic in my book. There are many ways to challenge yourself in hunting.

Bowhunters have to get a deer right in next to them and then meet the physical challenges of shooting the bow, flintlock hunters deal with the physical challenge of wielding and aiming a 5' long gun that can weight 10+ pounds. There's also the delay from flash to bang in a flintlock. It's a very challenging twist to hunting...

I also have a friend who hunts specifically from 400 yards or more. He has a few stands on his property and then a couple more at friends' properties where he hunts from, and I can tell you from tagging along and watching him take a doe at 520 yards, his hunting is very challenging as well. The drop and the windage you have to figure into your shot at a distance like that, along with the steady hand required is something of an art in itself.

In my opinion, the "truth" of your hunting is whatever you make it. To each his own I guess. :idunno:

Most modern muzzleloaders have a range of 250 yards. Why not use a flint lock? Wouldn't that be more challenging? Or I will ask the same question to you...why use a compound bow instead or a long bow or recurve? Seems un-fair to use a compound.

I have a CVA Optima Pro decked with a nice scope. It's a modern ML and I'm sure it could reach further. However, I personally do not feel comfortable shooting any further than around 100yds. I also have a CVA Hawken with percussion ignition and use patch and ball with it. I've prolly taken 20 deer with the old Hawken... True, a flintlock and recurve would be more challenging and I may purchase both some day.... I'm challenged enough with the compound WR. :D

I don't think it's true hunting when you can smack a deer from 300yds away. Bowhunters are the true hunters in this great country of ours. I can understand those that hunt with guns b/c they may be physically unable to hunt with a bow' date=' but for all those that take up arms to bag a buck b/c they can't get him with a bow is pretty sad IMO. I've done both and their is no comparison between the rush of slicin'n'icin' a deer from 25yds v/s pulling the trigger at 225....:taz:[/quote']

I believe that as long as a hunter takes the game in a responsible and humane manner with a quick/clean and ethical kill that it doesn't matter the method used.

Anti hunters and groups like P.E.T.A. love to hear controversey amoungst our own. Let's not give them anything elsee to expoit their lies/agenda on. :thumb:

BTW.....I am a member of PETA, I Prefer Eating Tasty Animals.

What a ridiculous statement. Hunting is so much more than just killing and there are many legal ways to enjoy the heritage of this sport.

A sportsman would understand, a slicer n icer, whatever that is, probably wouldn't.

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb: Well said Watusi!!

What a ridiculous statement. Hunting is so much more than just killing and there are many legal ways to enjoy the heritage of this sport.

A sportsman would understand, a slicer n icer, whatever that is, probably wouldn't.

Who said anything about killing? We City Boyz call it harvesting. And I never meant to disrespect the heritage of the sport but was merely stating that bowhunting represents a true hunting experience. Let's face it, there are quite a few folks that pull up in their cars, aim, and squeeze....

I love how some posters will degrade others of what they do and when they are called out on it, their first response is, "oh I didn't mean to offend/disrespect anyone". Yeah right! Then why write this stuff. I guess showing everybody who is da man! HAHAHAHA!!!! To each his/her own.

I hunt with both a bow and also a gun. Though mostly with a gun, and a mostly at that with a muzzle loader. I enjoy both equally well, however, I tend to do more gun hunting than bow hunting. Not because I prefer that method over bow hunting, but because I have more time to do this after November when the footballs stop flying through the air.

I generally will harvest 2 deer per year as that seems to be the right amount for my family. Since my son also is an avid hunter, if he takes 1, then that leaves me to just 1 also. When that occurs, I hunt for the big boyz only! I love to hunt, and to just be outdoors is the thrill for me. I don't really have to bag a deer to consider my time in the woods a success!:D

Who said anything about killing? We City Boyz call it harvesting. And I never meant to disrespect the heritage of the sport but was merely stating that bowhunting represents a true hunting experience. Let's face it' date=' there are quite a few folks that pull up in their cars, aim, and squeeze....[/quote']

Many would say the same about hunting in the city limits. You're argument has holes. And a true sportsman wouldn't be A. hunting with the window down, as a matter of fact those are criminals. B. A true sportsman wouldn't be degrading other sportsmen/women who enjoy hunting with a modern firearm. C. I think you're sadly mistaken to discount the effort and skill that it takes to kill a deer with any weapon.

I agree with oldrambler that non-hunting organizations feed off of garbage like this.