Gomes and Rolen

Preachit

Anyone else sick of the Johnny Gomes show. A guy who can't field, throw, or hit. He had an amazing six week stretch and some people think he is having a solid year. The Reds would be better off without him. Maybe Heisy in Left field?

Also, should the Reds re-sign Scott Rolen?

Gomes is what he is. A streaky hitter that will hit around .260, hit 15-20 HR, drive in 60-80 RBI and play below average defense. Heisey is a much better defensive player, but didn't show much offensively when filling in for Bruce. I believe Rolen is already signed thru at least 2013.

I could be wrong, but I have felt like the two guys you mention are the two leaders on this team. Rolen for sure and Gomes I think brings a lot to the table with his intensity and other players feed off that.

I agree with these two being leaders. Rolen needs the Reds to clinch this thing so he can rest up for the playoffs. I think he is tired. Gomes just is what he is, as others have pointed out. He is right on his typical numbers (down a little in HR's) and giving the Reds pretty much what they should expect. Get Nix healthy. Get Edmonds healthy. Then Gomes can be spotted more versus having to rely on him every day. He already has probably 50 more at bats than he should have for the season. Next year, Gomes should get less than 300 at bats for the Reds as the younger players like Heisey develop and take over.

I agree with these two being leaders. Rolen needs the Reds to clinch this thing so he can rest up for the playoffs. I think he is tired. Gomes just is what he is, as others have pointed out. He is right on his typical numbers (down a little in HR's) and giving the Reds pretty much what they should expect. Get Nix healthy. Get Edmonds healthy. Then Gomes can be spotted more versus having to rely on him every day. He already has probably 50 more at bats than he should have for the season. Next year, Gomes should get less than 300 at bats for the Reds as the younger players like Heisey develop and take over.

I agree with you 100%. Rolen seems like the rock of this team. Gomes is probably playing too much, but injuries have played a part in that. The Reds are still 7 up so even if his stats are phenomenal the team hasn't really suffered much. And getting Nix and Edmonds back, among others, will only help going into October.

Just out of curiosity I pulled up this year's numbers for the Reds' previous left fielder for comparison.

G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS

143 590 508 80 135 35 2 35 93 0 0 70 175 .266 .361 .549 .910

133 512 453 66 117 22 2 16 77 3 3 38 108 .258 .326 .422 .748

175 STRIKEOUTS!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!? That is the most horrible player ever. On top of that he would probably make 2 or 3 more errors than Gomes. Forget that .910 OPS! I bet he doesn't even have a sacrifice fly this year. You can keep that guy, whoever he is ... :rolleyes:

175 STRIKEOUTS!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!? That is the most horrible player ever. On top of that he would probably make 2 or 3 more errors than Gomes. Forget that .910 OPS! I bet he doesn't even have a sacrifice fly this year. You can keep that guy, whoever he is ... :rolleyes:

Just went back and looked up 162 game averages for both players, based upon their career numbers so far.

Player "A" would average 182 SO per year, with an OPS of .904

Player "B" would average 152 SO per year, with an OPS of .789

It should be noted though, that Player "A" would average an extra 100 plate appearances over the season too. So to be more accurate than just year-end totals... Player "A" would average a SO every 3.73 plate appearance, while Player "B" would average one every 3.79 plate appearance.

Frankly, up until the past two months, Bruce's career was based off a short stretch when he first came up to the bigs. It looks like he's really starting to come into his own now. Perhaps Gomes' just needs his regular opportunities also. Obviously, however, I am not comparing defensive abilities. Gomes is and always will be a defensive liability, while Bruce is a major plus in that area even during the times he struggles with his bat.