Running up the score?

PureFan

With several very lopsided games this week:

Lawrence County 75 Shelby Vally 14

Perry Central 63 Knott County 8

Pike Central 50 Boyd County 0

How much is to much? Are the days of putting in the second or even third string players when a team is so obviously outmatched a class act from a bygone era? What are your thoughts?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the sake of debate, let me go ahead and be the voice from the other side.

If you make a scheduling mistake (mismatch), you have to play the game. Telling your team to go easy, or that the game will be easy, undermines your team's preparation.

When you play the game, you run your base offense and defense, and nothing more. That includes passes. It is a Friday night practice, but the repetition is just as important as a Wednesday afternoon full pad practice. You must maintain repetition and discipline to be effective.

If the lead balloons to more than 4 TD's in the first half and the other team does not appear to be scoring, the starters come out, and they cheer their teammates. When the clock starts running, the second team comes out. Empty the bench. Put a tight end at fullback and run wedge. But you run your base offense and defense, because that is your training. If the other team does not stop you, then that is the lessons of high school football. You sure as heck fall on the other team's fumble, and try to intercept their pass, and you rush your down 4 lineman and try to get the sack without stunting.

If 75 is what you get, then 75 is what you get.

If you make a scheduling mistake (mismatch), you have to play the game. Telling your team to go easy, or that the game will be easy, undermines your team's preparation.

When you play the game, you run your base offense and defense, and nothing more. That includes passes. It is a Friday night practice, but the repetition is just as important as a Wednesday afternoon full pad practice. You must maintain repetition and discipline to be effective.

If the lead balloons to more than 4 TD's in the first half and the other team does not appear to be scoring, the starters come out, and they cheer their teammates. When the clock starts running, the second team comes out. Empty the bench. Put a tight end at fullback and run wedge. But you run your base offense and defense, because that is your training. If the other team does not stop you, then that is the lessons of high school football. You sure as heck fall on the other team's fumble, and try to intercept their pass, and you rush your down 4 lineman and try to get the sack without stunting.

Agree with this philosophy...not sure that is what is happening in these situations...

Let me say this first, I think that running up the score as an awful practice. However I don't think that most coaches out there do it. Lopsided scores are going to happen in HS football. Sometimes a team is just that much better than the other team. If you have your freshman in the game and they're still scoring on simple run plays while you're trying to milk the clock what can you do? I don't believe in telling your kids not to play hard or to stop trying. I hate seeing two teams play when the talent disparity is too great because I think it benefits no one. The better team basically waste a week of practice preparing for the game (not working on everyday fundamentals though obviously) and you have to feel awful for the team on the losing end because those kids and coaches practice, play hard and try to win as well. It's really a no-win.

When I was in HS I played in games where we won by a comfortable margin and games where we got absolutely drilled. Our HC always had enough respect for an over-matched opponent to never run it up on them. Russell is a great example of this as well in EKY (as are most programs in the area I just have experience playing against Russell alot so I used them as an example). There have been Russell teams that could win district games by 200 points if they wanted to IMO, but Ivan McGlone and his staff refuse to embarrass teams. I always like to see McGlone and Russell do well because they are so classy in victory (& defeat), and you'll never hear me or another WC person with a brain say a bad word about their program.

I agree. I'd hate to hang 75 on someone, but if you honestly can't help it there isn't much you can do. Go vanilla and hope the clock runs out very quickly. I'd hate to tell a freshman getting his first varsity experience that he couldn't recover a fumble or try to get a first down.

Every game is different, but in their strongest seasons, Breathitt County (Coach Holcomb) typically played his starters for one possession in the third quarter in games that were severe mismatches. Generally speaking, BC would score anywhere from 42-56 points in the first half, and then would tack on one more to open the second half before pulling the starters. Once the second string was in, the playcalling would go very conservative and typically one more TD might be scored, but many times no more points would go on the board.

I haven't seen every game and can't remember every score, but 70 points are the most I can remember seeing the Bobcats post. I thought it was a pretty good system.

But they didn't and it has some of the Fort Thomas natives restless because of the cold fusion in the 2nd half.

HHS did the right thing playing the 2nd group up 35... although allowing the starters to play the entire 1st half seems like it may have been the thing to do. #42 Vocke for BW is a tough runner