Franklin County (10-1) at Highlands (8-3)

72birdman

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so sick of people crying about Ft. Thomas not giving anybody respect. These are not the players posting here people. The players are busy getting ready to win a game. If you are saying people aren't respecting them because of what's on here, then I can cry about some of your posters claiming Highlands will get whipped, but I don't.

Some start and some don't. Some get on the field a lot and some rarely get on the field.

However, those that don't play much at all are just as valuable and important to the team as those that do in my opinion. Maybe even more valuable.

You don't have to be a starter or even get on the field to be a leader of a team. Leaders in my opinion are the ones that set the example; that the others look to when times are tough; they are the ones that are the most respected by the coaches, fans and other players.

Its easy to play football at Highlands when you are the star athlete, when you start as an underclassman. But the real people that I respect a lot are the seniors that have busted their tails for 4 years but get little or no playing time; yet they hang in there. That's real leadership to me. Not the jumping up and down before the game; not the "cheerleading" after a big hit or big run. Its the sheer will and dedication that is needed to make it through long days of triple sessions; the sacrifices on Saturday mornings; the gassers and the lost job opportunities knowing along that you'll not probably see the field on Friday night. To me its these kids are the ones that show real leadership.

Sure they'd like to play more, their egos get bruised when some underclassman takes their spot. But rather than quit or cause problems, they suck it up and continue to come to practice and try to the best of their abilities. These are the kids that lead by example, that personify the "no I in team"; and that want desperately for the team to win state and if the coach thinks the chances of that happening are better with the underclassmen starting in front of them, they are able to put their disappointment aside to best support the team.

These are the kids that provide the leadership needed on a young team. When the underclassmen get tired, they need only look at that senior who's at practice busting his tail knowing that he'll be lucky to get into the game on Friday night to find their inspiration to run that last gasser, to look at the scouting report one more time before going to sleep.

We do have a fair number of seniors that unfortunately for them were not blessed with the athletic talent that the good Lord gave some of the underclassmen; but they were given the qualities of persistance, dedication, committment and loyalty to team that make them the best of leaders in my eyes and will make them leaders throughout their lives. And for that, I say thank you.

This has to be the best post I have ever read about what football is like here at Highlands!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

A good Franklin team may well have knocked-off Highlands three weeks ago. But the Bluebirds have improved soooooo much in their last two outings. Timing is everything. While I expect FC to throw the whole bag of tricks at Highlands, I don't see a team not ranked among the top ten advancing in this round.

A good Franklin team may well have knocked-off Highlands three weeks ago. But the Bluebirds have improved soooooo much in their last two outings. Timing is everything. While I expect FC to throw the whole bag of tricks at Highlands, I don't see a team not ranked among the top ten advancing in this round.

Well this all seems so obvious, since Highlands has improved sooooooo much in their last two outings, Franklin County must have gotten sooooooo bad over that same period. They couldn't possibly have gotten any better. I mean 10-1, they must have to resort to trickery to even be in the game Friday night, or maybe they might not be so bad, and maybe Highlands might not be so good. Hmmmm, never thought of that.

Some start and some don't. Some get on the field a lot and some rarely get on the field.

However, those that don't play much at all are just as valuable and important to the team as those that do in my opinion. Maybe even more valuable.

You don't have to be a starter or even get on the field to be a leader of a team. Leaders in my opinion are the ones that set the example; that the others look to when times are tough; they are the ones that are the most respected by the coaches, fans and other players.

Its easy to play football at Highlands when you are the star athlete, when you start as an underclassman. But the real people that I respect a lot are the seniors that have busted their tails for 4 years but get little or no playing time; yet they hang in there. That's real leadership to me. Not the jumping up and down before the game; not the "cheerleading" after a big hit or big run. Its the sheer will and dedication that is needed to make it through long days of triple sessions; the sacrifices on Saturday mornings; the gassers and the lost job opportunities knowing along that you'll not probably see the field on Friday night. To me its these kids are the ones that show real leadership.

Sure they'd like to play more, their egos get bruised when some underclassman takes their spot. But rather than quit or cause problems, they suck it up and continue to come to practice and try to the best of their abilities. These are the kids that lead by example, that personify the "no I in team"; and that want desperately for the team to win state and if the coach thinks the chances of that happening are better with the underclassmen starting in front of them, they are able to put their disappointment aside to best support the team.

These are the kids that provide the leadership needed on a young team. When the underclassmen get tired, they need only look at that senior who's at practice busting his tail knowing that he'll be lucky to get into the game on Friday night to find their inspiration to run that last gasser, to look at the scouting report one more time before going to sleep.

We do have a fair number of seniors that unfortunately for them were not blessed with the athletic talent that the good Lord gave some of the underclassmen; but they were given the qualities of persistance, dedication, committment and loyalty to team that make them the best of leaders in my eyes and will make them leaders throughout their lives. And for that, I say thank you.

Good try. But, there's zero way the households of the seniors who aren't playing are happy.

A couple of early morning thoughts.

Sandman, you may be right. I am sure that there may be some households that aren't happy. But I've yet to see a team (including Dixe, or maybe particularly Dixie this year) that everyone was happy with the amount of playing time. Nonetheless the purpose of my post was not to question their happiness quotient; rather it was to express my respect and gratitude for the upperclassmen that keep working their tails off, keep providing good examples and keep being leaders even though they don't get much playing time and aren't "happy". I don't understand people that try and turn something positive into some negative or controversial. I guess they feel somehow better about themselves.

As for respecting FC, I know the players and coaches do; a lot. And I think most of the fans do. A friend of mine happened to catch the last FC game. FC is fast and quick and matches up with our style of play very nicely. He thinks we can beat them, but we have to play very, very well. Likewise, FC needs to play well if it expects to beat us. If they come up here really tight, with the Birds mystique heavily placed on their backs, it just may affect them.

Its the way it should be. Two good teams playing each other. Both needing to play well in order to advance.

FC is ranked in the top ten in 3a according to the lexington Herald, we are yet to break the Bluegrass Preps ranking this year however, who last time I checked had Johnson Central at #10.