Franklin County (10-1) at Highlands (8-3)

72birdman

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep hearing about the youth of Highlands, I noticed they had 19 seniors on their roster? Do these kids not play?

Some start and some don't. Some get on the field a lot and some rarely get on the field.

However, those that don't play much at all are just as valuable and important to the team as those that do in my opinion. Maybe even more valuable.

You don't have to be a starter or even get on the field to be a leader of a team. Leaders in my opinion are the ones that set the example; that the others look to when times are tough; they are the ones that are the most respected by the coaches, fans and other players.

Its easy to play football at Highlands when you are the star athlete, when you start as an underclassman. But the real people that I respect a lot are the seniors that have busted their tails for 4 years but get little or no playing time; yet they hang in there. That's real leadership to me. Not the jumping up and down before the game; not the "cheerleading" after a big hit or big run. Its the sheer will and dedication that is needed to make it through long days of triple sessions; the sacrifices on Saturday mornings; the gassers and the lost job opportunities knowing along that you'll not probably see the field on Friday night. To me its these kids are the ones that show real leadership.

Sure they'd like to play more, their egos get bruised when some underclassman takes their spot. But rather than quit or cause problems, they suck it up and continue to come to practice and try to the best of their abilities. These are the kids that lead by example, that personify the "no I in team"; and that want desperately for the team to win state and if the coach thinks the chances of that happening are better with the underclassmen starting in front of them, they are able to put their disappointment aside to best support the team.

These are the kids that provide the leadership needed on a young team. When the underclassmen get tired, they need only look at that senior who's at practice busting his tail knowing that he'll be lucky to get into the game on Friday night to find their inspiration to run that last gasser, to look at the scouting report one more time before going to sleep.

We do have a fair number of seniors that unfortunately for them were not blessed with the athletic talent that the good Lord gave some of the underclassmen; but they were given the qualities of persistance, dedication, committment and loyalty to team that make them the best of leaders in my eyes and will make them leaders throughout their lives. And for that, I say thank you.

Some start and some don't. Some get on the field a lot and some rarely get on the field.

However, those that don't play much at all are just as valuable and important to the team as those that do in my opinion. Maybe even more valuable.

You don't have to be a starter or even get on the field to be a leader of a team. Leaders in my opinion are the ones that set the example; that the others look to when times are tough; they are the ones that are the most respected by the coaches, fans and other players.

Its easy to play football at Highlands when you are the star athlete, when you start as an underclassman. But the real people that I respect a lot are the seniors that have busted their tails for 4 years but get little or no playing time; yet they hang in there. That's real leadership to me. Not the jumping up and down before the game; not the "cheerleading" after a big hit or big run. Its the sheer will and dedication that is needed to make it through long days of triple sessions; the sacrifices on Saturday mornings; the gassers and the lost job opportunities knowing along that you'll not probably see the field on Friday night. To me its these kids are the ones that show real leadership.

Sure they'd like to play more, their egos get bruised when some underclassman takes their spot. But rather than quit or cause problems, they suck it up and continue to come to practice and try to the best of their abilities. These are the kids that lead by example, that personify the "no I in team"; and that want desperately for the team to win state and if the coach thinks the chances of that happening are better with the underclassmen starting in front of them, they are able to put their disappointment aside to best support the team.

These are the kids that provide the leadership needed on a young team. When the underclassmen get tired, they need only look at that senior who's at practice busting his tail knowing that he'll be lucky to get into the game on Friday night to find their inspiration to run that last gasser, to look at the scouting report one more time before going to sleep.

We do have a fair number of seniors that unfortunately for them were not blessed with the athletic talent that the good Lord gave some of the underclassmen; but they were given the qualities of persistance, dedication, committment and loyalty to team that make them the best of leaders in my eyes and will make them leaders throughout their lives. And for that, I say thank you.

Well said :thumb:

That is my point. The highlands faithful point to the tough out of district schedule as a positive in preparing for the playoffs. Meanwhile your playoff opponent may have prepared with a bunch of district cupcakes. Fewer district games is an andvantage. Being allowed to schedule more games of your choice is a plus.

I think this will be covered by Proposal 21, under which all teams in districts with less than 6 teams will play in a separate state championship tournament from those in districts with 6 or more! (insert smiley face here; I forgot how to do that. I'm kidding about Proposal 21 by the way).

County hasn't played near the competition Highlands has...If the game is in Fort Thomas, Bluebirds win by 2 TD's.

What are you talking about? They beat Breathitt County. :D

I like Highlands to roll in this game. No slight to Franklin intended there.

If you guys really think the players/coaching staff at HHS has the same opinion and approach that some posters do, well I can't help you. What I can tell you is that HHS does not overlook anyone come playoff time. They may, not sure, have been caught off guard against South Oldham during the regular season but that wasn't a playoff game. I can assure you that the Birds will be ready to go.

I don't expect Highlands to overlook FC. But if their attitude is like some of their supporters then FC will shock them. My question is how do you overlook a District game when those games decide whether you stay home for the playoffs or have to travel. Besides the games that Highlands lost is the caliber of the rest of their schedule any different than other teams? Their 3 District games did not prepare them for the playoffs.

Besides the games that Highlands lost is the caliber of the rest of their schedule any different than other teams? Their 3 District games did not prepare them for the playoffs.
Definitely!

As for the second question: They don't rely on a few district games to prepare for the playoffs. That's why they play such a tough non-didtrict schedule.

But if their attitude is like some of their supporters then FC will shock them.
I don't think it's a matter of "attitude." You can't deny the history of the matchups between the 5th and 6th districts. It's been very one-sided. But, don't expect any kind of a let down on our side Friday night.

I don't think it's a matter of "attitude." You can't deny the history of the matchups between the 5th and 6th districts has traditionally been one-sided. But, don't expect any kind of a let down on our side Friday night.

I don't know where everyone is getting that Highlands will be over looking County...Why would they? Most coaches emphasize taking EVERY game serious, and I'd assume the same thing is happening in Ft. Thomas. The Birds will be ready, the question is, will County?

Definitely!

As for the second question: They don't rely on a few district games to prepare for the playoffs. That's why they play such a tough non-didtrict schedule.

Well then I just hope our little country boys can compete. Just keep in mind we are not Grant, S. Oldham, or CC. Our District has 8 teams so our out of conference schedule is limited. I'm a true football fan and know that HHS is one of the top programs in the state, win or lose FC will come out of this game with respect also.