8th Region Outlook

Her family has made a residence move and should be ruled eligible by the KHSAA before October of this year.
I generally refrain from discussing the personal matters of minor children on a public forum. That is an affirmitive on the residence change, except not to the W-V school district. The KHSAA could very well rule her eligible, but I would be surprised. Good luck to all involved.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the family didn't move into the district, she should not be eligible. Even if she is ruled eligible, Walton's weakness will be point guard. I still see them as a regional contender.

Edited by madman
spelling

If the family didn't move into the district, she should not be eligible. Even if she is ruled eligible, Walton's weakness will be point guard. I still see them as a regional contender.

I totally agree with you on this one.

• 4 weeks later...
I totally agree with you on this one.

Overall talent-wise, Anderson is head and shoulders above the rest. I doubt many would disagree.

It's also no secret that W-V probably won't knock out Anderson if they can't improve their point guard position, although they came tantalizingly close last year without much there.

Likewise, the secret to South Oldham evolving from a perennial district champ to a region champ will likely depend on the Lady Dragons' ability to figure out how to shoot straight.

Owen County is a team I'm really intrigued with. There's no doubting the tremendous talent they have in Rianna Gayheart, but they have to find a second or third scorer that can keep her from being practically mugged by opposing defenses. It's frankly amazing what Gayheart has been able to do, since the rest of the team hasn't been able to generate much scoring to give her any relief. But Owen is a well-coached, gritty, solid team with a good defense, and if they find another scorer, watch out...

Oldham County has the opposite issue...the Lady Colonels can score, score, score...but must find a way to defend, defend, defend if they are to make noise...

North Oldham has a quality starting unit, but needs depth...fouls crippled North quickly last year...

And on it goes throughout the region...in short, what we have is an awful lot of teams with at least one major question mark - and Anderson County. The Lady Bearcats will start this season as heavy favorites.

Overall talent-wise, Anderson is head and shoulders above the rest. I doubt many would disagree.

It's also no secret that W-V probably won't knock out Anderson if they can't improve their point guard position, although they came tantalizingly close last year without much there.

Likewise, the secret to South Oldham evolving from a perennial district champ to a region champ will likely depend on the Lady Dragons' ability to figure out how to shoot straight.

Owen County is a team I'm really intrigued with. There's no doubting the tremendous talent they have in Rianna Gayheart, but they have to find a second or third scorer that can keep her from being practically mugged by opposing defenses. It's frankly amazing what Gayheart has been able to do, since the rest of the team hasn't been able to generate much scoring to give her any relief. But Owen is a well-coached, gritty, solid team with a good defense, and if they find another scorer, watch out...

Oldham County has the opposite issue...the Lady Colonels can score, score, score...but must find a way to defend, defend, defend if they are to make noise...

North Oldham has a quality starting unit, but needs depth...fouls crippled North quickly last year...

And on it goes throughout the region...in short, what we have is an awful lot of teams with at least one major question mark - and Anderson County. The Lady Bearcats will start this season as heavy favorites.

Colonel Mike, good assessments all, no doubt. Collins High School will be a force to be reckoned with, though. Basically, the Lady Rocket program has moved across the county into the new digs and great facilities. They went far last year, and will do so again this time around. Don't overlook them.

Anderson is the favorite, but they are not head and shoulders better than Walton. Anderson lost a starter from last year and Walton didn't lose anyone, plus they will probably get a terrific transfer in Taulbee. Plus, not to mention Walton was actually beating Anderson by 5 with 3 minutes left in last year's regional semi-final. So with that said, I would put Anderson at 1 but Walton is right on their tail.

Anderson is the favorite, but they are not head and shoulders better than Walton. Anderson lost a starter from last year and Walton didn't lose anyone, plus they will probably get a terrific transfer in Taulbee. Plus, not to mention Walton was actually beating Anderson by 5 with 3 minutes left in last year's regional semi-final. So with that said, I would put Anderson at 1 but Walton is right on their tail.

Plus Judy only played a handful of games last year because of knee surgery and looked great over the summer (she is receiving a lot of college attention). Clinkenbeard played hurt all last year and looks to be getting close to 100%. With Taulbee Walton will be the deepest team in the region. I like Walton's chances this year if everyone is healthy. I agree with Colonel they need to improve at the point, but nobody in the region will have the 3 headed monster on the inside like Walton.

Anderson - I agree should be the favorite, but I'm not sure if it is clear cut. It should be interesting.

Do i detect "excuses" again? Last line is correct though it should be very intersting in eighth as well as fun. While the season is still months away it looks as though Anderson will be starting 3 freshmen, maybe more, and the top nine includes four freshmen and an eighth grader. Still not veterans however the girls are now out of their diapers and the future in Bearcat land looks bright but lets enjoy today.

Do i detect "excuses" again? Last line is correct though it should be very intersting in eighth as well as fun. While the season is still months away it looks as though Anderson will be starting 3 freshmen, maybe more, and the top nine includes four freshmen and an eighth grader. Still not veterans however the girls are now out of their diapers and the future in Bearcat land looks bright but lets enjoy today.
The unsung hero from last season, Yeast, will be very hard to replace.

I do think that Anderson is the favorite but I do not think they are "head and shoulders" above the rest (sorry CM). Top four IMO- Anderson, South Oldham, Walton, and I like Owen's chances this year. I know that South Oldham has much to prove (Can they finally make some shots?) but I do think the "potential" is there to make it interesting. No one is picking them so there are no expectations or hype to live up to. Perhaps they will respond better in this role.

I do think that Anderson is the favorite but I do not think they are "head and shoulders" above the rest (sorry CM). Top four IMO- Anderson, South Oldham, Walton, and I like Owen's chances this year. I know that South Oldham has much to prove (Can they finally make some shots?) but I do think the "potential" is there to make it interesting. No one is picking them so there are no expectations or hype to live up to. Perhaps they will respond better in this role.
Owen County might not even win the 31st District. I also find it interesting that everyone keeps forgetting Simon Kenton being a contender, they still have the best player in the 8th Region and quite possibly the best coach.

Owen County might not even win the 31st District. I also find it interesting that everyone keeps forgetting Simon Kenton being a contender, they still have the best player in the 8th Region and quite possibly the best coach.

I think SK has a great coach. But I am not too sure about them having the best player in the 8th. I dont think they have the best player in their own district.

I think Wainscott is a quality player but I am not sure that she is the best player though. I realize that she was POY last season but there was a weak class of seniors IMO and it is rare that people vote for a Fresh/Soph for POY. I think there will be some juniors that will give her some pretty stiff competiton this year. (Whitfiled, South Oldham & Gayhart, Owen )

Coach Stowers is a great coach no doubt about that.

Wells from Shelby or Collins (unsure where she is at) is close to the top if not the very top player in the region. Kid can play. Wainscott can do so much (score, handle the ball, defend) is why I think she is deserving.

I would not call Yeast an unsung hero, just a hero, however an 8th grader lead the team in every statistical category (scoring,rebounding, steals, assists, free throw, field goal percentage, three point shooting) except blocks which was a sophomore. Yeast's role was vital to the success last season but mainly she "potty trained for the future".