8th Region Outlook

As for strength of schedule goes:

A loss from a quality opponent can mean more than a win over a poor/mediocre team so the opponent record thing means nothing IMO. I am a firm believer that you have to play the best teams(better than you) to get better along with how well you play in close games. Simon Kenton has played a tougher schedule for several years along with Shelby Co. a few years back and I think that it paid off for them once it came to region. Teams that play against tougher competition may not have an impressive record but the experience means everything when it comes to putting together a run to the sweet 16. I am not a huge fan of the LIT ratings but you can lose to a ranked opponent and your LIT rating can go up .

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now one other thing that I totally disagree with is strength of schedule. All I hear is that Walton played a weak schedule last year, so lets state the facts:

Anderson's opponents record was .577% from last year

Simon Kenton's opponents record was .524% from last year

South Oldham's opponents record was .504% from last year

Walton's opponents record was .52% from last year

So how does everybody keep saying that one or the other has a tougher schedule?

On the 25 games that Walton won, their opponents were a combined 315 wins and 348 losses (47.5%). Of these wins, 4 were against Carroll Co (14-14)., 3 each were against Owen Co. (17-10), Gallatin Co. (13-12) and Grant Co. (10-17), 2 wins were against Williamstown (9-18) and 1 each against Connor (12-13), Holy Cross (12-16), Dixie (6-19), Henry Co (15-10)., Dayton (12-15), Trimble Co. (6-17), North Oldham (14-10), Owsley Co. (18-8), Lloyd (5-22) and Simon Kenton (21-9).

In their 5 losses, their opponents were a combined 111 wins and 41 losses (73.0%). Looks to me Walton's schedule certainly played into their favor.

Good post. But, Walton is still very very good.

On the 25 games that Walton won, their opponents were a combined 315 wins and 348 losses (47.5%). Of these wins, 4 were against Carroll Co (14-14)., 3 each were against Owen Co. (17-10), Gallatin Co. (13-12) and Grant Co. (10-17), 2 wins were against Williamstown (9-18) and 1 each against Connor (12-13), Holy Cross (12-16), Dixie (6-19), Henry Co (15-10)., Dayton (12-15), Trimble Co. (6-17), North Oldham (14-10), Owsley Co. (18-8), Lloyd (5-22) and Simon Kenton (21-9).

In their 5 losses, their opponents were a combined 111 wins and 41 losses (73.0%). Looks to me Walton's schedule certainly played into their favor.

Totally agree about the schedule. But in Walton's defense they had to schedule 12 conference games and 6 district games. The Williamstown games count for both so that makes a total of 16 games before you even start to think about scheduling anyone else. The Dixie Tournament, the All A region count for one game. So that makes 18 games and two games in the All A state made for 20. They ended up having to cancel games with Trimble and Henry to stay under the KHSAA rule of 23. This year the NCKC conference rule was changed and now you only have to play conference opponents once. That freed up a few games and they are using the 1st round of the All A as a conference game with Gallatin. Their schedule is much better this year and it remains to be seen how they do.

Just saying that we have no transfers.. all have been in the CC schools since they were youngsters and some of them playing for Coach since 7th grade. This is a big year for them and it will be a fun team to watch. We are a little far away to get the benefit of any transfers...

WV has been very fortunate to get the transfers they have gotten regardless of the circumstances. But, if you could put those transfers on Owen Co., Grant Co., Gallatin Co., Williamstown, Carroll Co., etc..., they would be near the top of the Region and WV would be an average team.

With that being said, WV will be very good this year. I look for Sandlin to have a breakout year. She has the ability to lead the team in scoring.

Regardless of the other teams records, WV still had to beat some good teams on your list. Carroll, Owen and Gallatin took turns beating up on each other in their district and were formidible opponents as was Simon Kenton, Owsley Co. and North Oldham.

The Bearcats will be lead in scoring again this year by senior Kelli Dixon. I look for Taulbee to be 2nd in scoring (not far behind Dixon), then Slavey and Sandlin will be 3rd and 4th. I look for Judy and Clinkenbeard to both get BIG minutes this year. The bearcats will be a solid team this year. Should be some good battles in the 8th region this year, as a lot of teams have greatly improved. I don't see any clear cut favorite.

[quote=Cannon Crazy;3942730Now one other thing that I totally disagree with is strength of schedule. All I hear is that Walton played a weak schedule last year, so lets state the facts:

Anderson's opponents record was .577% from last year

Simon Kenton's opponents record was .524% from last year

South Oldham's opponents record was .504% from last year

Walton's opponents record was .52% from last year

So how does everybody keep saying that one or the other has a tougher schedule?

Look at the teams that each played.

If Walton played South Oldham or Anderson County's schedule, my guess would have been 12 - 15 wins. Most of the teams South and Anderson played were much larger schools where the talent pool is greater. Most of the teams have an abundance of athletic players on them. That is something Walton lacks. Walton seems to have nice basketball players with good size, but lack the overall athletes and speed that other teams may have. Coach Miller did a great job molding his team into his system, but when they come up against a quick athletic teams like a South Oldham or Anderson that will pressure them and force the tempo, Walton will have issues. JMO.

Well if you want break down the wins and losses here is South Oldham's wins their opponents were a combined 221 wins and 256 losses (46%) and on the losses, their opponents were a combined 123 wins and 83 losses (.60%). Look, I am just saying that we ALL play in the 8th region and most of our games are against 8th region teams.

Look at the teams that each played.

If Walton played South Oldham or Anderson County's schedule, my guess would have been 12 - 15 wins. Most of the teams South and Anderson played were much larger schools where the talent pool is greater. Most of the teams have an abundance of athletic players on them. That is something Walton lacks. Walton seems to have nice basketball players with good size, but lack the overall athletes and speed that other teams may have. Coach Miller did a great job molding his team into his system, but when they come up against a quick athletic teams like a South Oldham or Anderson that will pressure them and force the tempo, Walton will have issues. JMO.

I have never seen a girls high school basketball team have a abundance of athletic players on them. We played Anderson last year and lost in the 8th region semi's (46-40) and then we played them this summer and won in overtime. Their PG did miss the game but we did not have Taulbee either.

You lost to Shelby County(42-41) and then they lost to SK (69-49) granted Wells got hurt in that game. All that being said, Anderson is the team to beat this year because they are the CHAMPIONS!

"Look, I am just saying that we ALL play in the 8th region and most of our games are against 8th region teams. "

South has only 9 games (of 24) against 8th region opponents which is different that most of the schools in northern part of the 8th region who probably play 75% of there schedule within region. Wins and losses can be very deceiving to base anything on unless you take into consdieration strengtrh of schedule. South plays Walton and SK this year during the regular season which I think is a good motivator all around.

Anderson is still the team to beat IMO. The pressure to"repeat" is a big task though , which could bode well for South, Owen or Walton. Hard to win wire to wire so to speak - more pressure on Anderson as everyone is looking to them.

"Look, I am just saying that we ALL play in the 8th region and most of our games are against 8th region teams. "

South has only 9 games (of 24) against 8th region opponents which is different that most of the schools in northern part of the 8th region who probably play 75% of there schedule within region. Wins and losses can be very deceiving to base anything on unless you take into consdieration strengtrh of schedule. South plays Walton and SK this year during the regular season which I think is a good motivator all around.

Anderson is still the team to beat IMO. The pressure to"repeat" is a big task though , which could bode well for South, Owen or Walton. Hard to win wire to wire so to speak - more pressure on Anderson as everyone is looking to them.

If we were looking at part of the season I would agree but over the entire schedule the best teams have more wins than losses. How do you figure the strength of schedule without your opponents wins and losses?

I agree Anderson is the team to beat but they are a talented team with a very good coach and they have been their before so I do not think it is that much pressure.

Expectations are much different in Anderson County this year. Nobody knew how the young kids would respond being pressed into action so early, and obviously they found a way to keep it together through a tough schedule and put together a nice run at the end.

Summer games are completely useless as far as wins and losses go. Last summer South Oldham beat Anderson by over 30. I really wouldn't put much stock in how specific teams did in terms of winning and losing this summer. What you can see is the progression of certain players. For example, Gayheart looked outstanding the few times I saw her play this summer.

Anderson County is still projected to start THREE freshman this year. That's truly unbelievable when you consider the fact that two of those freshman are considered "veterans" after both playing as 7th graders and starting as 8th. I just don't know that you will see a team starting two 8th graders come out of the 8th region ever again.

I don't see things being a whole lot different in the 8th. Last year there were 5 to 6 teams capable of winning it. I think this is the case this year. The region was young as a whole and i think most of the top teams will be improved just from experience alone. With that being said I am picking Anderson to win it again. Overlooked in previous post they certainly have more than two players but thats okay some like flying a little under radar. Down "south" in AC land all we can say is "Get Your Popcorn". We (The Fans) are ready to get it on!!!

I think having the target removed (a bit) from their backs will certainly help South Oldham this year. That was a pretty young team that wore the mantle of pre-season favorite all year... South is generally one of the premier defensive teams in the region, and I think that's the starting point where you built championships. Last year, they just didn't shoot straight in their regional loss to Shelby...

I still say Anderson is the clear-cut favorite to win the 8th. Until somebody comes along and defeats the defending champs.... Anderson pretty much has all the pieces to the puzzle, which is what I see lacking (or perhaps - more accurately - UNPROVEN) from the other teams.

Despite AC being the favorite, I don't think there is a huge gap. W-V and South are definite contenders. I think Collins, Owen, and Oldham County will be teams to watch. And that incredibly talented junior class has a number of other players at other schools that may lift their teams into the conversation.

Bottom-line: Nothing is ever decided in November. We can speculate all we want - it's fun! - but the ladies will make the final decision in March.