Obama: Uniter or Divider?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It became pretty evident to me from the reactions on my college campus the night that he got elected that he would not be a Uniter.

Your post however, says more about your college campus that it does about the President. I have not read the article yet, but his speech on race during the campaign, he said that he would not be the panacea for race relations and that his campaign was not about race.

I think the division comes b/c the right is simply not choosing to work with him or the leaders in Congress on anything.

Your post however, says more about your college campus that it does about the President. I have not read the article yet, but his speech on race during the campaign, he said that he would not be the panacea for race relations and that his campaign was not about race.

I think the division comes b/c the right is simply not choosing to work with him or the leaders in Congress on anything.

Of course it has absolutely nothing to do with his extremely liberal views. :rolleyes:

Either way, he was the reason for more separation. And I'd imagine many other campuses at the same things occur.

You cannot unite those that refuse to be united.

I agree. There was a big segment that never gave the President a chance and never will. I can't really say that he has gone out of way though to unite the masses. It always cracks me up he speaks of Republicans never working across party lines in their votes, but the Democrats are just as guilty never crossing party lines in votes. Obama is just like every other politician.

I agree. There was a big segment that never gave the President a chance and never will. I can't really say that he has gone out of way though to unite the masses. It always cracks me up he speaks of Republicans never working across party lines in their votes, but the Democrats are just as guilty never crossing party lines in votes. Obama is just like every other politician.

This is simply not true at all. One, they made all kinds of compromises on the big legislation they have passed - at the republicans behest and the republicans still chose to not support the legislation. Secondly, the democrats are not nearly as disciplined as the republicans when it comes to crossing party lines. I am sure there were some, but I would bet very few pieces of legisltation passed between 2000-2006 that did not have a decent number of democrats voting for it.

This is simply not true at all. One, they made all kinds of compromises on the big legislation they have passed - at the republicans behest and the republicans still chose to not support the legislation. Secondly, the democrats are not nearly as disciplined as the republicans when it comes to crossing party lines. I am sure there were some, but I would bet very few pieces of legisltation passed between 2000-2006 that did not have a decent number of democrats voting for it.

Whatever makes you sleep better at night. The point being neither party has shown much of a propensity to work across party lines, especially when it comes to voting. If party labels do not matter like they say, votes should be crossed over a lot more than they are.

Whatever makes you sleep better at night. The point being neither party has shown much of a propensity to work across party lines, especially when it comes to voting. If party labels do not matter like they say, votes should be crossed over a lot more than they are.

:thumb: