PPP: Obama, Palin tied 46/46 in 2012 polling

Yeah......Sarah.....

With his approval numbers hitting new lows it's no surprise that Barack Obama's numbers in our monthly look ahead to the 2012 Presidential race are their worst ever this month. He trails Mitt Romney 46-43, Mike Huckabee 47-45, Newt Gingrich 46-45, and is even tied with Sarah Palin at 46. The only person tested he leads is Jan Brewer, who doesn't have particularly high name recognition on the national level at this point.

It's not that any of the Republican candidates are particularly well liked. Only Huckabee has positive favorability numbers at 37/28. Romney's at 32/33, Gingrich at 32/42, Palin at 37/52, and Brewer at 17/20. But with a majority of Americans now disapproving of Obama it's no surprise that a large chunk of them would replace him as President if they had that choice today.

There are two things driving these strong poll numbers for the Republican candidates. The first is a lead with independents in every match up. Romney leads 48-35 with them, Gingrich is up 50-39, Huckabee has a 46-40 advantage, Palin's up 47-42, and even Brewer has a 38-37 edge.

The other thing causing the Republicans to do so well is that their party is unified around them to an equal or even greater extent than Democrats are around Obama. Huckabee's getting 85% of the Republican vote to Obama's 82% of the Democrats, Romney's at 82% in his party to Obama's 80%, Gingrich and Obama are each getting 83% of their party vote, and Palin and Obama are each getting 81% of theirs.

Link

So at Obama's lowest approval ranking yet he is within the margin of error against all the likely opponents. I think Republicans need to find a better candidate than any of those used in this poll. Who is a dark horse candidate that might be able to beat Obama? How about Gary Johnson - tow term Governor of New Mexico?

So at Obama's lowest approval ranking yet he is within the margin of error against all the likely opponents. I think Republicans need to find a better candidate than any of those used in this poll. Who is a dark horse candidate that might be able to beat Obama? How about Gary Johnson - tow term Governor of New Mexico?

That's one way to look at it, or you could look at it from the "if Obama's numbers continue to fall, and I suspect they will, he'll be pummelled" perspective.

That's one way to look at it, or you could look at it from the "if Obama's numbers continue to fall, and I suspect they will, he'll be pummelled" perspective.

I agree. His numbers have done nothing but decline since taking office and the more he does the faster they fall. If it continues the Dems may need to consider running someone else against him in a primary.

I agree. His numbers have done nothing but decline since taking office and the more he does the faster they fall. If it continues the Dems may need to consider running someone else against him in a primary.

ala 1980 with Ted Kennedy challenging Jimmy Carter???? That didn't work out too well with the Dems. It rarely has for any party.

1968 LBJ vs. McCarthy & Kennedy

1976 Reagan vs. Ford

1980 Carter vs. Kennedy

A little further back you could go to the original "Tea Party" kinda guy in 1912: T.R. vs Taft and then T.R. runs as Bull Moose and the two garner enough votes to whip Wilson but split, Wilson wins.

If Palin is the best the R's have to offer, it will be a battle of dumb vs. dumber when 2012 rolls around, and that's about it. Having recently relinquished my party affiliation (talk about energizing!!), I can honestly say that no potential candidates in either of the "parties" impress me at the current time. What this country needs at present is not more politicians, but more snipers.

This poll to me shows nothing more than how crummy we have gotten when it comes to our candidates. It is really quite pitiful that someone as poor as Palin is within 20 points of Obama (albeit in a poll) at this junction of his Presidency.

Palin has a good message and delivers it well. But she walked away from the job in Alaska. That taints her as a candidate IMHO.

I disagree with both of those statements. She has not put forth any kind of message and is certainly not presidential in any delivery I have seen.