Running Enthusiasts??

UNDERTHEBRIDGE

Yesterday afternoon I signed up for the Florida Ironman. My legs paralyzed once I received the official confirmation. I have no idea what I just got myself into. Longest registration of any event I have ever completed. When asked why I am competing in this event, I put down: "For the tattoo". I have 1 year to get ready for this event. I feel like I have a solid base with 3 (soon to be 4) marathons under my belt and swimming lessons the past 8 months.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brings back some great memories. Back about..........goodness gracious, didn't realize it was that long..........30+ years ago I was a pretty serious runner. Tried all distances and was better the longer it got.

I had always been an athlete and didn't start running until my second daughter came along, and I quit baseball and basketball with the idea of staying home more. Little did I know where running was going to take me! Over several years I built mileage to the point I ran over 4000 miles one year. I had a marathon best of 2:44 and ran Boston twice with a best of 2:50.

I think I had about every running injury known to man! I was always fascinated by the body and how it functioned so I had all the running injury books I could find. I always wanted to know the details of injuries........what caused them and how to cure them and prevent them in the future.

All that mileage eventually took its toll and I had a knee problem (not from running actually) that resulted in removal of my left anterior meniscus and that eventually led to giving up running all together as the knee just couldn't take the pounding with the bone to bone contact.

Loved it though and wouldn't trade the memories and friendships made and experiences at different races for a good knee now!

You guys that can still run, keep it up but do so with moderation and intelligence. My competitiveness and compulsiveness blinded me to those two important measures and ultimately robbed me of the ability to do something I really enjoyed.

Brings back some great memories. Back about..........goodness gracious, didn't realize it was that long..........30+ years ago I was a pretty serious runner. Tried all distances and was better the longer it got.

I had always been an athlete and didn't start running until my second daughter came along, and I quit baseball and basketball with the idea of staying home more. Little did I know where running was going to take me! Over several years I built mileage to the point I ran over 4000 miles one year. I had a marathon best of 2:44 and ran Boston twice with a best of 2:50.

I think I had about every running injury known to man! I was always fascinated by the body and how it functioned so I had all the running injury books I could find. I always wanted to know the details of injuries........what caused them and how to cure them and prevent them in the future.

All that mileage eventually took its toll and I had a knee problem (not from running actually) that resulted in removal of my left anterior meniscus and that eventually led to giving up running all together as the knee just couldn't take the pounding with the bone to bone contact.

Loved it though and wouldn't trade the memories and friendships made and experiences at different races for a good knee now!

You guys that can still run, keep it up but do so with moderation and intelligence. My competitiveness and compulsiveness blinded me to those two important measures and ultimately robbed me of the ability to do something I really enjoyed.

Wow. Cool stuff. People often have the impression that since I run in marathons that I run all time, which is not the case at all. I log very few miles compared to most serious marathon runners. I focus a lot on core training, flexibility, and plyometric work to supplement the miles.

Yesterday afternoon I signed up for the Florida Ironman. My legs paralyzed once I received the official confirmation. I have no idea what I just got myself into. Longest registration of any event I have ever completed. When asked why I am competing in this event, I put down: "For the tattoo". I have 1 year to get ready for this event. I feel like I have a solid base with 3 (soon to be 4) marathons under my belt and swimming lessons the past 8 months.
:lol:

If I ever completed one it would probably go on my forehead so EVERYONE would know.

Wow. Cool stuff. People often have the impression that since I run in marathons that I run all time, which is not the case at all. I log very few miles compared to most serious marathon runners. I focus a lot on core training, flexibility, and plyometric work to supplement the miles.

Based on my own experience I'd say you're making a wise choice. But I ran at a time when the running craze was at a peek and, competitive as I was, if my chief competition (a good friend I trained some with and always ran close with in races) trained 100 miles in a week I wanted to do 101! I did some flexibility work but would have been better off spending less time running and more time in some of the areas you're using.

Based on my own experience I'd say you're making a wise choice. But I ran at a time when the running craze was at a peek and, competitive as I was, if my chief competition (a good friend I trained some with and always ran close with in races) trained 100 miles in a week I wanted to do 101! I did some flexibility work but would have been better off spending less time running and more time in some of the areas you're using.

Also the shoe technology has improved immensely since your running days. I could not imagine logging 100+ miles a week. I am sure I could do it, but just know it would be terrible for me.

Also the shoe technology has improved immensely since your running days. I could not imagine logging 100+ miles a week. I am sure I could do it, but just know it would be terrible for me.

I'm sure you're correct on shoes. I haven't bought a pair for actual running in a long time. I do catch some of the ads and even check Runner's World when the occasion presents itself and it's obvious that evolution has continued.

Yeah 100 miles can be grueling. I could do it OK, generally building up my mileage no more than 5% or so per week, but it eventually broke me down. Where I really ran into trouble was when I ran 4 marathons in 13 months. Typically I'd build mileage to get to 100 for several weeks prior to a marathon, back way off the week before, and then dropped back to something more normal for me, say 65-70 miles per week. But in that 13 month stretch of 4 marathons I never got to drop back very much. That's the year I ran over 4000 miles.

The result was breakdown and injuries. I was so obsessed I'd get up from my desk at work, limp around for a while until the injured part limbered up, then go out and run 12-15 miles, all on an injury. Problem there is that the endorphins kick in after a couple miles and you don't feel the injury much. That is until you quit! Then you realize what you'd done to yourself. But I'd keep doing it until the body simply said......NO MORE. Dumb I know......and I knew it then.......but just kept on.

Had a PR yesterday in the WhoDey 5K by over 2 minutes. :banana: This year I have gone from never running a 5K in my life to running one in 28 mins. at 114 pounds lighter. I Bought me a "Pig in training" shirt at the party afterwards to wear while I train for my first 1/2 in the Flying Pig on May 1st. Not to sure what I am getting into, unknown territory. I want it bad, to just say I did it!

Had a PR yesterday in the WhoDey 5K by over 2 minutes. :banana: This year I have gone from never running a 5K in my life to running one in 28 mins. at 114 pounds lighter. I Bought me a "Pig in training" shirt at the party afterwards to wear while I train for my first 1/2 in the Flying Pig on May 1st. Not to sure what I am getting into, unknown territory. I want it bad, to just say I did it!

Good work, Rebel! You will be signed up for your first full marathon before you know it :D

When you guys are training do you follow any certain kind of specific diet or do you basically eat what you want? Also, I need something just to keep track of how many miles I run, is there anything out there less expensive than the GPS watches.