Running Enthusiasts??

UNDERTHEBRIDGE

Well I just finished up the Bluegrass 10K this past weekend and figured I'd start up a thread get people maybe posting any good upcoming races this summer.

I've been doing the running thing now a little over two years (at least seriously) and must say that it has been a lot of fun and helped out with the beer pooch UTB had from the college years.

Anyways, any ideas or run's to promote? Next good one in Lexington is the Midsummer's Night Run 5K though any serious runner's probably should look elsewhere as its usually crowded and not much room except up at the front for actual running.

I also know of the Louisville half for their Parks and Rec which is in October. Nice run down river road in mid October. Some narrow paths but very scenic.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a runner. How serious you looking to get with it?

The summer makes it a lot more difficult to get out and log some miles. The summer heat forces me to head out before 6:00 a.m. on Saturdays for my long runs. Last week we had a little break with the weather so I was fortunate and able to tack off 12 on Saturday morning. I was really wanting to do the Bourbon Chase in October but they were sold out when I looked in to it in April. http://www.bourbonchase.com/

I plan on doing the St. Jude Marathon again on December 4. I highly recommend it. Great cause and probably the best organized Marathon around with tons of support.

I did my first 5K a week ago and thought I was going to die... :lol: With that said, I plan on running at least another one this summer. My dad is a runner, I can safely say I haven't followed in his foot steps.

I am a runner. How serious you looking to get with it?

The summer makes it a lot more difficult to get out and log some miles. The summer heat forces me to head out before 6:00 a.m. on Saturdays for my long runs. Last week we had a little break with the weather so I was fortunate and able to tack off 12 on Saturday morning. I was really wanting to do the Bourbon Chase in October but they were sold out when I looked in to it in April. http://www.bourbonchase.com/

I plan on doing the St. Jude Marathon again on December 4. I highly recommend it. Great cause and probably the best organized Marathon around with tons of support.

I'm running the Bourbon Chase.

What program did you all use to build yourselves up?

I am trying to get my cardio back to where I want it to be. I have no plans on doing any big runs, but I wouldn't mind some advice in trying to rebuild my endurance.

What program did you all use to build yourselves up?

I am trying to get my cardio back to where I want it to be. I have no plans on doing any big runs, but I wouldn't mind some advice in trying to rebuild my endurance.

I never used a set program to get myself to what I would call "running condition". Running is a skill. It comes naturally to some, but for others it may take 2-3 years before you feel totally comfortable running 1-2 miles. When I started, I could not run more than 1/4 a mile on the treadmill at 5.5 mph.

Form is key. Being an experienced runner, it pains me to watch people struggle jogging 1 lap around the track despite being in good shape.

If you are just getting in to the game, I would start gradual. Instead of targeting a distance, target a time for how long you are going to run. Go at a comfortable pace for 5 minutes, then walk for 1 minute. Do that for half an hour. The next week run for 6, walk for 1, etc. Or do just what is comfortable. There is nothing wrong incorporating some walking in to your training. Also, sign up for a 5K. There are an abundance of 5Ks out there. They are fun, give you an attainable goal to shoot for, plus it gets you more in shape.

Been pretty serious on it. Did two half's this past year, a bunch of 5K's, and two 10k's. I try to log between 13-20 miles a week. Definately during the summer though I only get maybe one get outdoors run in a week. Luckily I work out at a gym with a pretty nice sized indoor track.

Been pretty serious on it. Did two half's this past year, a bunch of 5K's, and two 10k's. I try to log between 13-20 miles a week. Definately during the summer though I only get maybe one get outdoors run in a week. Luckily I work out at a gym with a pretty nice sized indoor track.

You going to sign up for a full?

Haha, thought about it but frankly the half's wear me down a lot and the training to get up to them is a lot of time. I'm not sure I have a full in me. Worst part is my knees. I do well on four to 4 or 5 mile runs a week but when I run a lot of miles at once my knees take a hit. I am lacking a lateral meniscus in my left knee and had a distal femoral osteotomy 6 years ago which is spacing my knee right now and while rarely does my knees bother me, they definately take a beating on the longer runs. I think i'm gonna stick with the halfs and 10K more though it is on my bucket list to do a full.

I remember a year or so ago talking to you about fulls I believe and you had done a few, correct?

Haha, thought about it but frankly the half's wear me down a lot and the training to get up to them is a lot of time. I'm not sure I have a full in me. Worst part is my knees. I do well on four to 4 or 5 mile runs a week but when I run a lot of miles at once my knees take a hit. I am lacking a lateral meniscus in my left knee and had a distal femoral osteotomy 6 years ago which is spacing my knee right now and while rarely does my knees bother me, they definately take a beating on the longer runs. I think i'm gonna stick with the halfs and 10K more though it is on my bucket list to do a full.

I remember a year or so ago talking to you about fulls I believe and you had done a few, correct?

I have completed 3 full marathons. While I am sure to get in my long runs, I am not a type that logs a lot of weekly miles. I do a lot of cross-training. If you have your baseline of 13 down, I recommend getting the full out of your way if it is on your bucket list. It is not one of those things you want to start back from scratch.

I've been on a diet since Jan. 1st. and have lost 82 pounds. I entered a local 10K race last month and thought I died. I wear my event shirt with a lot of pride. A couple of weeks ago I thought if I can do a 10K a 5K would be a piece of cake. So I entered and did very good for my standards (38:23) I have neverd practiced or trained just entered and did the best I could. My son has been a runner for many years and runs distance for a small college here in Kentucky. I barrowed his GPS watch so I could follow my pace to break the 40's. I always wanted to run in a race with him and with the weight loss that I have had this year has allowed me to do that. I have now done this twice. This weekend is another 5K that me and him will both run in again.

I've been on a diet since Jan. 1st. and have lost 82 pounds. I entered a local 10K race last month and thought I died. I wear my event shirt with a lot of pride. A couple of weeks ago I thought if I can do a 10K a 5K would be a piece of cake. So I entered and did very good for my standards (38:23) I have neverd practiced or trained just entered and did the best I could. My son has been a runner for many years and runs distance for a small college here in Kentucky. I barrowed his GPS watch so I could follow my pace to break the 40's. I always wanted to run in a race with him and with the weight loss that I have had this year has allowed me to do that. I have now done this twice. This weekend is another 5K that me and him will both run in again.

Very cool... :thumb:

Runner's World is full of wonderful stories like yours and it serves as great motivation. What a better way to spend some quality time with your son.