Running Enthusiasts??

UNDERTHEBRIDGE

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use to run religously but have really let it slip in the last year. I can really tell it too when I do finally get out. I can also tell in my waist line. I lift 4-5 days a week before work and use to run at night when I got home. Since slacking on the running I have definitely put on a few pounds. I am going to try and start back to running at least 3 days a week if not 4.

• 1 month later...

Of course the second I start a thread like this I manage to get swamped in work, school, and life things and forget to follow up with it. Very cool stuff from everybody on here.

I can say that running to some degree has been one of the biggest integral things of my life the past three years. I started it as a simple way to workout and relieve stress after I had left graduate school prematurely. I had built up a good amount of extra weight (220lbs) which for a guy at 5'5'' wasn't ideal and with added knee and health issues I needed something. I started out as simply a couple laps in the neighborhood where I lived and would get about a mile to a mile and a half here and there. As I kept going I kept pushing myself and in no time I was both losing weight, feeling better, decreasing my stress, and increasing both my distance, endurance, and pace. Over the past few years I've kept with it quite religiously and while I'm not much for real competitive runs though I am always looking to better my personal times.

I shed about 45 lbs over the 3 years and as I said previously, have done numerous 5K's at about 21-22 mins, 2 10k's in the 46min range, and 2 half marathons in the hour and 48 min range. My next half marathon is scheduled for October 31st in Midway, KY. Ironhorse half marathon.

With running it is simply the drive or push on my body physically to perform and overcome adversities that I love. I also enjoy the peacefullness of the activity. There is a calming effect at least with me to running. I can think for minutes on end in my head and simply get lost on different little tangents. Furthermore, simply the sense of accomplishment each time I finish is amazing.

I just got thru running the "Mid Summer Nights Run" in downtown Lexington this past weekend. I had a PR and ran the the whole 3.1 without walking. Came in the top half of the final results. Had a blast and look forward to my next 5K this weekend at Railroad Days. Since I've started taking better care of myself this year, I've done a 10K and 4 5K's this summer, the results have been 97 pounds lost.

It has been so darn hot to run too much this summer. Each Saturday I am sure to get in a "longer" run of 8-12 miles. During the week I do one interval training session (Yasso 800s) and a couple miles before one of my workouts that I do. My swimming has really helped my running these past few months.

I did the Music City Sprint Tri a few weeks ago and had a blast. My run sucked in it but it was extremely hilly and hot.

I just got thru running the "Mid Summer Nights Run" in downtown Lexington this past weekend. I had a PR and ran the the whole 3.1 without walking. Came in the top half of the final results. Had a blast and look forward to my next 5K this weekend at Railroad Days. Since I've started taking better care of myself this year, I've done a 10K and 4 5K's this summer, the results have been 97 pounds lost.

:eek: Wow!

I also ran the mid-summer nights run. I couldn't get in a good steady pace because it was so crowed...

:eek: Wow!

I also ran the mid-summer nights run. I couldn't get in a good steady pace because it was so crowed...

It was hard to do. IMO it's more difficult running in this type of race just becasue you have to stay alert at all times with people everywhere through out the 3.1 miles.

The midsummer's was crowded. And imagine if the rain hadn't come how big it could have been!!! My fiancee and I both competed in it this year and definately had a hard time through the first mile just getting in the clear. Still my last 2.1 miles was pretty clean though I didn't leave much in the tank for them.

Rebel that is just awesome!!!!

Bugatti you are simply tough my man. I have been pretty lame of late about venturing outside for runs. I simply hate the heat but I definately am needing some longer outdoor runs to keep my legs fresh for my upcoming half.

• 4 weeks later...
I'm running in a 5K this weekend and taking my daughter to downtown Nashville for a All Womens half marathon next weekend.

I will be in Nashville for that half! My wife is participating in preparation for her first marathon in December. In looking at the course for Nasvhille, tell your daughter to be prepared for some serious hills.

Tomorrow I will be running about 12 then participating in a 5K just afterward.

I will be in Nashville for that half! My wife is participating in preparation for her first marathon in December. In looking at the course for Nasvhille, tell your daughter to be prepared for some serious hills.

Tomorrow I will be running about 12 then participating in a 5K just afterward.

Are you staying at the Renaissance Hotel friday night? Made my reservations a couple of months ago. My daughter is looking forward to attending all the event displays and booths at the hotel on Friday.

Are you staying at the Renaissance Hotel friday night? Made my reservations a couple of months ago. My daughter is looking forward to attending all the event displays and booths at the hotel on Friday.

We are staying with friends. I saw the registration will be at the Renaissance so I will be by there at some point mid-Friday afternoon.

I'm an athlete, I play real sports. I'm not tryin' to be the best at workin' out. Sorry, I have just been waiting to say that for a for a little while now.

:lol: How old are you, ThrillVille Cardinal51?

I have yet to concede I am in the "old" category yet. But once all organized sport activities end, us former athletes race in these type of arenas for not only the health benefits but also for the competition. I view my swimming, biking, running, and other "workin' out" activities as sports. I am in 10 times better shape than I have ever been, and in 10 times better shape than most people still in organized sports.