Strasburg --- who is watching and what do you think?

How big was the crowd?

Sell out, 40,315 (which ESPN.com says is 96.2% full). The announcers on MLB's broadcast said the game sold out in two hours after it was announced that Strasburg was starting tonight.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe how much ESPN is hyping this up. The kid is good, but its not like he is going to transcend the game to a new level or anything. With all that being said, it looks like he is on the way to his first win with 11 K's.

ESPN follows headlines, which in this scenario is this kid due to the $$$$$ he was given. Not gonna lie after his first game he may be worth it. We'll see how he does the rest of the season and over the course of the next few years before I'm a believer. However, first game alone kid seems LEGIT!!!!!

As someone else said previously he still hasn't done what Leake has thus far, and I'll be shocked if he can swing a bat half as well. Also in case anyone else didn't see it a week ago(sorry no link), Leake was on the cover of the sports section of USA today, just saying....

14 strikeouts, 0 walks, got past his nerves early but even with all the balls he threw, he didn't walk a batter. ended with 7 straight K's? One of the best debuts in major league history. I think he more than lived up to the expectations, especially given the hype on this kid. A very impressive first outing.

Who cares if it was the Pirates? You're not looking for someone to throw a no hitter in their MLB debut. You're finding out if they can get MLB hitters out and you can definitely tell that from any MLB team. 7.0 innings, 94 pitches, 65 strikes, 4 hits, 0 walks. Doesn't matter who that is against, it's a good outing.

What will make him good is having Pudge behind the plate for at least this season. In game adjustments will keep him tough to hit.

I agree that it was as impressive a MLB pitching debut as I've ever seen. By the same token, however, ESPN has the guy walking on water, changing water into wine and doing all kinds of crazy things with loaves and fishes.

I agree that it was as impressive a MLB pitching debut as I've ever seen. By the same token, however, ESPN has the guy walking on water, changing water into wine and doing all kinds of crazy things with loaves and fishes.

That's what they do, unfortunately.

What will make him good is having Pudge behind the plate for at least this season. In game adjustments will keep him tough to hit.

I agree 100%. I don't think it was any coincidence that Pudge was off the DL the night they brought Strasburg in. Strasburg can pitch to a bad catcher certainly, but it can't hurt him any to have a Hall-of-Famer that's caught more games than anyone in history coaching him through this season from behind the plate.

You wouldn't happen to have a copy of the Gospel of Van Pelt, would you?

I just finished the Gospel of Stuart.