Tebow a Bronco!!!!!!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/03/sports/football/03draft.html

By no means am I predicting Tebow to be the next Brady, just find it interesting that all these pundits and experts who are so sure that Tebow will fail, so fit to draft Brady as the #199 pick in 2000. Brady didn't wow people at all that year.

And somehow he has had a fairly successful career.

To be fair, Brady never totally had the QB job at Michigan, so scouts never got a true appreciation for his abilities in game situations.

And just because you're dying for Tebow to succeed for the wrong (non-athletic) reasons doesn't mean it's going to happen. He can send up all the platitudes he wants, but God doesn't care about sports.

To be fair, Brady never totally had the QB job at Michigan, so scouts never got a true appreciation for his abilities in game situations.

And just because you're dying for Tebow to succeed for the wrong (non-athletic) reasons doesn't mean it's going to happen. He can send up all the platitudes he wants, but God doesn't care about sports.

Jim, do you really believe that wanting someone to succeed because you believe they are a good person is wrong? I agree that God has far bigger interests than athletics, .... but I can think of no better reason to want someone to succeed than because they are a good person. I am more disturbed that so many really want him to fail because the media put a camera in front of his face constantly and he openly stated what his beliefs were. It doesn't mean he will succeed as a NFL QB, ... but hoping for it is a good thing IMHO. It would be nice to see a 'good guy' doing well on the field of athletics than some of our star athletes who have not exactly been role models for the kids who watch them play.

Having said that, I am not sold that he will be a good NFL QB. I am surprised that Tebow was taken ahead of Clausen who IMHO has proven he is a more pro style QB. If I was really looking for a QB in the this draft, I would have picked Clausen before I picked Tebow. I guess the Broncos must have really liked something they have seen from Tebow. One thing is for sure, Denver will really be under the microscope if he is not productive within a couple of seasons at one position or another.

Exhibit 2: Those draft pundits and experts that say Tebow will not be a good pro QB had Akili Smith rated high and an outstanding pro QB. How did that work out?

About the same way that Tebow is going to work out at QB.

Jim, do you really believe that wanting someone to succeed because you believe they are a good person is wrong? I agree that God has far bigger interests than athletics, .... but I can think of no better reason to want someone to succeed than because they are a good person. I am more disturbed that so many really want him to fail because the media put a camera in front of his face constantly and he openly stated what his beliefs were. It doesn't mean he will succeed as a NFL QB, ... but hoping for it is a good thing IMHO. It would be nice to see a 'good guy' doing well on the field of athletics than some of our star athletes who have not exactly been role models for the kids who watch them play.

Having said that, I am not sold that he will be a good NFL QB. I am surprised that Tebow was taken ahead of Clausen who IMHO has proven he is a more pro style QB. If I was really looking for a QB in the this draft, I would have picked Clausen before I picked Tebow. I guess the Broncos must have really liked something they have seen from Tebow. One thing is for sure, Denver will really be under the microscope if he is not productive within a couple of seasons at one position or another.

:thumb:

I'm done.

Critisizing the Broncos decisions from here on out.

Jon Gruden, who I feel is a top 5 coach in the NFL and a better man than most in the league has sold me.

I'm going to just get behind every McDaniel move and either sink or swim with them.

I don't know why, because I did not like Tebow one bit in college (mainly because of UF) but this move just made me feel good inside. I'm glad he is Denver and I actually like the Thomas draft at WR over Dez Bryant.

Go Broncos!

Maybe people are pulling for him not just because he is a Christian but because he represents what is good and right with student atheletes. He is a young man with character, on the field and off of it.

He appears to be that way, and I have no reason to doubt it, but people used to feel that way about Michael Jordan + Tiger Woods, and they have proven not to be worthy of all the personal praise.

I think folks are better off not to worship their athletic heroes, and instead concentrate on improving their own character to become better humans.

Having said that I hope Tebow succeeds for the Broncos.

He appears to be that way, and I have no reason to doubt it, but people used to feel that way about Michael Jordan + Tiger Woods, and they have proven not to be worthy of all the personal praise.
Rumors about Jordans infidelities were always out there, he just didn't play in a TMZ era. Most fans didn't really care what he did off the court and the media had no interest in getting the story out.

I think folks are better off not to worship their athletic heroes, and instead concentrate on improving their own character to become better humans.

I agree, there is no one that should be worshipped. Tebow however is a great example of how you would want a kid to be.

Gutsy pick, IMO.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out. Tebow obviously has some improvements to make in his game, specifically as a pocket passer, but by all accounts, he's got a great work ethic.

I'm not writing him off like many. Let's see where he's out three years from now.

I wouldn't have picked him in the first round, but that's what the draft is all about. Getting the guy you want. Denver wanted Tebow.

There's nothing wrong with it. But you're setting yourself up for disappointment by putting too much stock in his "good guy" status and ignoring the realities of how his skills will/won't apply to the league.

As far as the schadenfreude angle, it is what it is. Some people, such as me, get tired of having it hammered into their heads how great a person is when, in actuality, nobody really knows for sure. For all we know, he may have a predilection for little boys.

I'm done.

Critisizing the Broncos decisions from here on out.

Jon Gruden, who I feel is a top 5 coach in the NFL and a better man than most in the league has sold me.

I'm going to just get behind every McDaniel move and either sink or swim with them.

I don't know why, because I did not like Tebow one bit in college (mainly because of UF) but this move just made me feel good inside. I'm glad he is Denver and I actually like the Thomas draft at WR over Dez Bryant.

Go Broncos!

I agree with that one. He seems to be a high quality individual and McDaniel is showing a pattern of what type of person he wants on his team.

I will take the Kiper stance on Tebow. I don't believe he will be a top notch QB in the NFL, but hope that he proves me wrong.

Maybe people are pulling for him not just because he is a Christian but because he represents what is good and right with student atheletes. He is a young man with character, on the field and off of it.

Rumors about Jordans infidelities were always out there, he just didn't play in a TMZ era. Most fans didn't really care what he did off the court and the media had no interest in getting the story out.

I agree, there is no one that should be worshipped. Tebow however is a great example of how you would want a kid to be.

... as far as you know. How much time have you spent with him to form this opinion?

People are obviously going to do it, and continue to do it, because it's been that way for centuries. But putting these guys up on pedestals just because they craft a favorable public image is folly.

There's nothing wrong with it. But you're setting yourself up for disappointment by putting too much stock in his "good guy" status and ignoring the realities of how his skills will/won't apply to the league.

As far as the schadenfreude angle, it is what it is. Some people, such as me, get tired of having it hammered into their heads how great a person is when, in actuality, nobody really knows for sure. For all we know, he may have a predilection for little boys.

I don't have a problem with the masses who don't believe he will be a good NFL QB, I am one of those. I think that he doesn't fit the skill set as a passer, which is a gianormus part of what a QB has to do. But there are some who want him to fail because of the positive reputation he has. It's not like he is holding press conferences everyday, ... but the media just follows his every move, and reports everything he says. Not his fault, and I support someone who is not afraid to say what they believe.

I also like to believe the best in people until proven wrong. So far, all the indications are that Tebow is a quality person. Because of that, I do hope he succeeds as an NFL QB, and will cheer for him to do well, ... but I don't expect it based on what I have seen from him as a passer.