Tebow a Bronco!!!!!!

I'm not judging him, I don't know him. I am skeptical about him because of how he acts from time to time. He's abrasive to me with his religious beliefs, to the point where it comes off to me as arrogance and it seems fake to me.

But mainly it kills me to hear about how good he is. Why's he a good role model? Is it because he professes his faith at any and every chance he gets? Or is it because he never gets in trouble?

Many other Christian athletes have been outspoken about their faith such as David Robinson or Reggie White, but they didn't make a spectacle out of it. Was David Robinson any less of a role model than Tebow? Tebow gets a pass for alot of things IMO by people. Tebow's ministry is always a story and he keeps it that way with the things he does.

Tebow is a great football player and stays out of trouble off the field. You never hear a coach say a bad word about him as a person. That should be enough. I believe in God as much as the next person, but I feel that Tebow's relgion becomes more about HIM than about Jesus or God. That's JMO.

How is it Tebow's fault that ESPN, Sports Illustrated or the others choose to do stories on him?

ESPN just reported an interesting stat.

Jacksonville had the worse attendance this past NFL season.

Jacksonville, Tebow's hometown, had the HIGHEST rating watching the draft last night.

I could see how the MEDIA MAKES it seem his faith is about more of him than God. I disagree that Tebow does that.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CCC, I have more. My wife is the secretary for the FCA here in Louisville. And for the last four years the FCA has done a lot of stories on Tim. Everything they have ask from Tim they have recieved it. I probaby read a lot more about him than the average person. Some things you just can't fake, people will find you out. In order to travel over seas and risk your life just in bringing a Bible to a country can be a hazard.

Going over seas just the trainning/shots/long travel/backward counties...why do this? Can a person not be true to go thru this?

I respect your thoughts, and I'm just shedding some thoughts.

One way or another, Tebow will define McDainals career...

If Tebow turns into a good QB, JM will look like a genius.

If Tebow just doesn't work, then JM will look like the idiot that I believe he is...

That's the bottom line. I'm a fan of Tebow but skeptical because he's a project I think. I know this if I had one college player in history that I had to bank on based on character and work ethic it would be Tebow. Denver has blown it not getting any defense though.

I'm not judging him, I don't know him. I am skeptical about him because of how he acts from time to time. He's abrasive to me with his religious beliefs, to the point where it comes off to me as arrogance and it seems fake to me.

But mainly it kills me to hear about how good he is. Why's he a good role model? Is it because he professes his faith at any and every chance he gets? Or is it because he never gets in trouble?

Many other Christian athletes have been outspoken about their faith such as David Robinson or Reggie White, but they didn't make a spectacle out of it. Was David Robinson any less of a role model than Tebow? Tebow gets a pass for alot of things IMO by people. Tebow's ministry is always a story and he keeps it that way with the things he does.

Tebow is a great football player and stays out of trouble off the field. You never hear a coach say a bad word about him as a person. That should be enough. I believe in God as much as the next person, but I feel that Tebow's relgion becomes more about HIM than about Jesus or God. That's JMO.

I can understand where you are coming from. For me it's the opposite though. I think it's refreshing to see a kid that young that is comfortable enough in his skin to share his faith. I'll be honest it's hard for me to think of anybody that has been a bigger role model at that age since I've been alive. I spent some time a few months ago in Jacksonville with an old roomate of mine that played WR with Moss and Marshall. The impact Tebow has in Florida is beyond words! That's just Florida!

How is it Tebow's fault that ESPN, Sports Illustrated or the others choose to do stories on him?

ESPN just reported an interesting stat.

Jacksonville had the worse attendance this past NFL season.

Jacksonville, Tebow's hometown, had the HIGHEST rating watching the draft last night.

I could see how the MEDIA MAKES it seem his faith is about more of him than God. I disagree that Tebow does that.

We see him differently then. Fair enough?

CCC, I have more. My wife is the secretary for the FCA here in Louisville. And for the last four years the FCA has done a lot of stories on Tim. Everything they have ask from Tim they have recieved it. I probaby read a lot more about him than the average person. Some things you just can't fake, people will find you out. In order to travel over seas and risk your life just in bringing a Bible to a country can be a hazard.

Going over seas just the trainning/shots/long travel/backward counties...why do this? Can a person not be true to go thru this?

I respect your thoughts, and I'm just shedding some thoughts.

It's too much IMO. He could do just as much by stating his faith, praising Jesus Christ and going on about his business in my mind. I don't question his faith, it just seems that he likes to here his name along with it to me.

I can understand where you are coming from. For me it's the opposite though. I think it's refreshing to see a kid that young that is comfortable enough in his skin to share his faith. I'll be honest it's hard for me to think of anybody that has been a bigger role model at that age since I've been alive. I spent some time a few months ago in Jacksonville with an old roomate of mine that played WR with Moss and Marshall. The impact Tebow has in Florida is beyond words! That's just Florida!

I can respect that, but for the bolded other athletes have done that. DWade and Dwight Howard come to mind when they came into the league. Tebow is just way too abrasive about his faith for my taste. Obviously with the media coverage and the Tebow faithful out there, many people have a different view of him. He just pushes my buttons with the way that he does it. I think Tebow's ministry goes along better with the extremely religious people that I know, which is not the way that I feel his outspoken platform should be. By taking a little more subtle (but still proactive) approach, he could reach alot more of the people who do not have a strong religious background or faith. Of course that's just my opinion, formed from my experience.:thumb:

Understandable. The media pushes him so much that I too can understand why people get tired of hearing about him. I listened to some guys that I put more stock into than about anybody in the NFL. They are usually dead on. They said he would have to scale back the aw shucks attitude some or he would rub a lot of his lockeroom the wrong way real fast if he talks as much as he does now. Will be interesting to see how that goes. I personally think it all depends on what he does on the field. If he plays like he did at Fla then the teammates will follow like they did at Fla. If he struggles he will have a lot of people dying to knock him down.

I just hope they wait a couple of years to put him full time at QB. Denvers front office has signed off on every deal. That makes me think they don't really care what everybody has to say. They believe in McDaniels philosophy of building around high character guys and will give him a pass longer than the experts think IMO.

So, do you think character should have any say into who I should root for as a professional athlete?

I mean if Charley Manson showed some mad skills I should root for him? Or should I have any value system at all?

Adding to this, I was proud of how the Steelers was handling the issues going on with their players. Are you saying that 1) the Steelers are wrong for expecting the players representing their team should act better; 2) am I wrong for liking how the Steelers are handling their situations?

Root for whomever you want; just don't be surprised when they disappoint you.

I'm more for Tim Tebow after reading this thread than ever before. He sure seems like a great kid, with his priorities in line. He doesn't ask for the publicity, but has definately earned it with his play on the field, and actions off of it. I also think that, in time, he'll be a success in the NFL.

He's going to mess up, we all do. Tebow's not Jesus Christ, just a follower. I've never heard him claim to be perfect, or better than anyone else.

The post about his girlfriend's appearance being an indictment of him being less of a person is ridiculous. Are Christians supposed to date ugly women?

Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad

Maybe people are pulling for him not just because he is a Christian but because he represents what is good and right with student atheletes. He is a young man with character, on the field and off of it.

Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad

Rumors about Jordans infidelities were always out there, he just didn't play in a TMZ era. Most fans didn't really care what he did off the court and the media had no interest in getting the story out.

I agree, there is no one that should be worshipped. Tebow however is a great example of how you would want a kid to be.

... as far as you know. How much time have you spent with him to form this opinion?
Do you know any of this to be to the contrary?

People are obviously going to do it, and continue to do it, because it's been that way for centuries. But putting these guys up on pedestals just because they craft a favorable public image is folly.

We are let down daily by people in all walks of life; slimeball athletes, narsicistic (sp?) actors; blind bitter media; egotistical musicians etc... They don't let us down because we think they are perfect. They let us down because by nature most good humans wish for and try to see the best in their fellow man.

I guess maybe it is safer to look for the bad and imperfections in everyone. Then you can always say "I told you so". However I find my life is better trying to find the best in people. I'm not devastated when Tiger is caught, or when Big Ben does what he does. I am dissapointed.

Imagine if everyone treated their children like this and always looked and expected the worse in them!!!!