Who has the best fish fry?

Colonels_Wear_Blue

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ That's the name of a little place in Mayslick, western end of Mason County. Best fried chicken and mashed potatoes around, but I've never tried their fish.

Been a long time, but it was very good the last time I ate there!

Can you go into a little more detail on why these are the 5 best? Also, location?

As a more generalized question. How religious are these events? Someone told me beer was served.

Beer is served at St. Gabriel, St. Agnes and St. Raphael most definitely.

The fish fries are really religious, per se. But they do facilitate Catholics ability to abstain from eating meat on Fridays. I guess you could call it fellowship. :D

I think I'm going to try St. James this week. It's right in the neighborhood, and as St. Brigid (where I usually go to mass) doesn't have one, I'll pop over to St. James.

As to why I think they're the best, it's hard to define. St. Agnes does have beer battered fish. But they all have great, crispy outside, flaky and juicy inside fish.

Green River isn't a church. I'm not quite sure what it is. It's located on 3rd Street near Churchill Downs. Basically on the back side of Papa John's home side.

St. Gabriel is on Bardstown Road in Fern Creek, at Hudson Lane.

St. Agnes is on Newburg Road (you and I took our dogs over and let them romp in their field one time)

St. Joseph is in Butchertown

St. Raphael is on Bardstown Road right next to Assumption High School.

St. James is on on Bardstown Road at Edenside, the school is on Edenside. I'll let you know more about their fish after I go Friday. :D

Heading to St. Elizabeth of Hungary in the Germantown neighborhood of Louisville on Friday. Never been, really looking forward to it.

I didn't know they had one! I'm going to hit a different fish fry every Friday this Lent. Who's with me? :D

It's by no means a "small" parish, but I don't think it's even close to being one of the largest in the Diocese of Covington. It may, however, be one of the only fish fries for MILES down in southern Boone County & northern Grant County I have no idea what the actual percentages are up here for Catholics to non-Catholics, but I would guess that there's a good chance Northern Kentucky is the pretty easily densest population of Catholics in Kentucky. The Louisville area may have more just by sheer number, but I think the percentage per capita is probably highest up here in NKY.

I'd have to agree. If you trip on the sidewalk in Covington, there's a better-than-average chance you'll fall into a confessional.

• 11 months later...