Josh Sewell for Mr. Basketball

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The season is NOT over yet!!!

Your right. Lets see how things play out.

Now I all the stuff Justice has accomplished in the past don't really matter. The award is based on what he does his sr year. Based on that hes definitly a strong candidate along with Watts and Sewell. Although I wouldn't rule out some other guys yet either.

I guess I just get the overall sense that you feel Sewell has opportunities that other players don't, and I don't understand it. I think he has a fair chance to win it. And I don't necessarily think that if he doesn't it's because he's from Trinity. But, I don't understand how anyone thinks it was easy for him to even enter into consideration, let alone be one of the top contenders. When you think basketball schools in the state of Kentucky I'd say Trinity is WAY down the list of first schools on anyone's list. And, to top that, I don't think it would be easy for ANY player in the 7th region to win, especially if much hinges on getting to the state tournament. There are a lot of great players in the 7th, and there always are. So, the fact that he's standing out among them seems like an incredible accomplishment to me. And that he's won 3 major tournament MVP awards as well.

But, the kid doesn't seem to let the Mr. Basketball award be the end-all of his success. He's already stated that his goal is to lead Trinity to success. To me, Mr. Basketball or not, he's a winner.

That's exactly my point--- Sewell has opportunities that others don't. However, not all of these are positives, nor are all negative. I just wanted to point out that playing for a private school in Louisville has its upside.

Each player going for the award has aspects of their candidacy that are advantageous and disadvantageous in their own ways. There's nothing wrong with it, it's just how it is.

I have never implied that Sewell was undeserving of the award, or that he didn't work hard to get where he has. Anyone even considered for the award has undoubtedly worked very hard to get where they are.

Up to this point, Sewell is the most deserving of the award. If Sewell's team gets knocked out early in the post season and/or he play poorly, then that may leave the door open for another player to sneak in if their team makes a deep run and they play well.

State Championships 2- Elisha Justice 0- Josh Sewell

Region Championships 2- Elisha Justice 0- Josh Sewell

Sweet 16 wins 1- Elisha Justice 0- Josh Sewell

State records 1- Elisha Justice 0 - Josh Sewell

Size of school SV-500 (boys and girls) Trinity -3000 (Boys only)

They should be better in the regular season and post season because of what they have to pull from, but they have never been to RUPP. Still have a chance though.

As far as winning all 3 REGULAR season tournaments, one is saying only Louisville players can win Mr. Basketball. The LIT did not take any outside teams this year.

Over the last four years you can see above Justice has done more for his team!

Elijah Justice has 0 State Championships. All A Classic does not count as state titles. Holmes was the state champion last year, not Valley.

I'm pretty sure that Shelby Valley would not have won the 7th region, and I'm pretty sure that if Trinity had been in the 15th region they could have gone to Rupp. I'll tell you what why not let Valley play in the 7th regional tournament this year and Trinity in the 15th and see how well that works out.

The bottom line is Justice wins against weaker competition. The 15th region is not the 7th. If Valley played a schedule like Trinity's they would have several losses.

There's always a brightside and in this case there's quite a few.

1. He's not competing against a UK commit.

2. He'll be playing in the MAC and getting a 'free' education. (His main comp is paying his way)

3. He didn't get injured and stayed healthy.

4. Played in and won all three major tourneys.

5. TEAM is in position to compete for the state.

I think Josh should win Mr. Basketball....but the thing I appreciate about him is how great a kid he is. He is what high school athletes should strive to be like. I have been around him for 4 years and watched him play and watched him at school. I promise you...you wont find a better kid anywhere than Josh. I only hope any bias doesnt come into play regarding the voting for Mr. Basketball. The chances of him getting to Rupp are tough based on the district and region...that being said...if he gets there...people will see.

Size of school SV-500 (boys and girls) Trinity -3000 (Boys only) (:lol::lol::lol::lol:)

They should be better in the regular season and post season because of what they have to pull from, but they have never been to RUPP. Still have a chance though.

As far as winning all 3 REGULAR season tournaments, one is saying only Louisville players can win Mr. Basketball. The LIT did not take any outside teams this year.

Wow, this is what frustrates me. Can no one understand or look properly at enrollment figures? Even the folks running the "All A Classic" can't get it right. Is there some course that basketball fanatics have to take so they don't understand how the KHSAA calculates enrollment on their site?

Size of school SV-500 (boys and girls) Trinity -3000 (Boys only)

1. As others have said, winning the All "A" state tournament doesn't make you state champions. This why it's funded from outside parties and not the KHSAA. All those tournaments proved is that you're the best "small school" in the state. And honestly, the All A field this year wasn't anything to write home about.

2. Who has Elisha Justice & co beat to make it to the sweet 16 the two years they went? The one year there was a legit team in the 15th (Paintsville), SV didn't make it out of the region.

3. This is a senior season based award...not career. Who cares how many sweet 16 wins a player has? Jon Hood was hands down the best senior and player in the state last year. Did he not deserve the award either because he had no sweet 16 wins in his career?

4. State records don't make you the best player in the state. Justice has set the steals record while playing against horrible competition. BTW, Ferguson from Elliott Co didn't get Mr. Basketball last year and he had better numbers than Justice, while also winning MORE sweet 16 games, region titles, and is among the state's all time leading scorers.

5. Lastly, if you want to get in to what a player has done over a career, no senior has done anything on a personal level compared to what Aaron Watts of McCreary Central has accomplished. Kid has scored over 3,000 points in his career.

If we're going to use the above criteria that you provided for why a player should win Mr. Basketball, no player being named has a more impressive resume than Elijah Pittman and Ricardo Johnson of Holmes:

KHSAA State Championships: 1

KHSAA State Championship APPEARANCES: 2

KHSAA Final Four Appearances: 2

KHSAA Sweet 16 wins: 7 (Overall record of 7-1)

KHSAA Sweet 16 MVP Awards: 1

KHSAA Sweet 16 All tournament team selections: 2 (soph and jr years)

Region Championships: 2

With all of the above being said, Josh Sewell has proved THIS YEAR that he is the best senior in the state and he deserves the award. While there are many other worthy candidates, Sewell continues to step up against the best competition in the state while also being a model STUDENT/athlete.

1. As others have said, winning the All "A" state tournament doesn't make you state champions. This why it's funded from outside parties and not the KHSAA. All those tournaments proved is that you're the best "small school" in the state. And honestly, the All A field this year wasn't anything to write home about.

2. Who has Elisha Justice & co beat to make it to the sweet 16 the two years they went? The one year there was a legit team in the 15th (Paintsville), SV didn't make it out of the region.

3. This is a senior season based award...not career. Who cares how many sweet 16 wins a player has? Jon Hood was hands down the best senior and player in the state last year. Did he not deserve the award either because he had no sweet 16 wins in his career?

4. State records don't make you the best player in the state. Justice has set the steals record while playing against horrible competition. BTW, Ferguson from Elliott Co didn't get Mr. Basketball last year and he had better numbers than Justice, while also winning MORE sweet 16 games, region titles, and is among the state's all time leading scorers.

5. Lastly, if you want to get in to what a player has done over a career, no senior has done anything on a personal level compared to what Aaron Watts of McCreary Central has accomplished. Kid has scored over 3,000 points in his career.

If we're going to use the above criteria that you provided for why a player should win Mr. Basketball, no player being named has a more impressive resume than Elijah Pittman and Ricardo Johnson of Holmes:

KHSAA State Championships: 1

KHSAA State Championship APPEARANCES: 2

KHSAA Final Four Appearances: 2

KHSAA Sweet 16 wins: 7 (Overall record of 7-1)

KHSAA Sweet 16 MVP Awards: 1

KHSAA Sweet 16 All tournament team selections: 2 (soph and jr years)

Region Championships: 2

With all of the above being said, Josh Sewell has proved THIS YEAR that he is the best senior in the state and he deserves the award. While there are many other worthy candidates, Sewell continues to step up against the best competition in the state while also being a model STUDENT/athlete.

I believe Watts has been just as impressive IMO. Justice is also a great player. His value to his team is tremendouse. Then there are a lot of other great players this year too. I think what Sewell's team has done has been very impressive and hes the obvious leader of the bunch. But I think its completely wrong to act as though he should be a lock for the award right now.

I believe Watts has been just as impressive IMO. Justice is also a great player. His value to his team is tremendouse. Then there are a lot of other great players this year too. I think what Sewell's team has done has been very impressive and hes the obvious leader of the bunch. But I think its completely wrong to act as though he should be a lock for the award right now.

I mentioned Watts in my post and said that he has had a tremendous year as well. I personally think he is one of the most underrated players in the state. Reminds me a lot of Shelvin Mack his senior year.

I also agree that Justice is a great player. The reason I don't see him deserving of the award though, is because of the competition he's gone against. Obviously, it's not the kid's fault and scheduling falls back on the coach but I really would have liked to see him against some of the better guards around the state. Hickey and Lewis came in to SV and stole the show from him on SV 's home court.

I never said that Sewell was a lock, but simply that IMO he was the most deserving of the award AT THIS POINT.

Things could change though...you never know. Ricardo Johnson, Elijah Pittman, Chad Jackson, or Dakotah Euton could all lead their team to a state championship and knock Sewell & Co off while doing so and solidify them as the Mr. Basketball. That's the great thing about this year's race. There are many deserving candidates whereas in years' past it was a one or two man race. :thumb:

I mentioned Watts in my post and said that he has had a tremendous year as well. I personally think he is one of the most underrated players in the state. Reminds me a lot of Shelvin Mack his senior year.

I also agree that Justice is a great player. The reason I don't see him deserving of the award though, is because of the competition he's gone against. Obviously, it's not the kid's fault and scheduling falls back on the coach but I really would have liked to see him against some of the better guards around the state. Hickey and Lewis came in to SV and stole the show from him on SV 's home court.

I never said that Sewell was a lock, but simply that IMO he was the most deserving of the award AT THIS POINT.

Things could change though...you never know. Ricardo Johnson, Elijah Pittman, Chad Jackson, or Dakotah Euton could all lead their team to a state championship and knock Sewell & Co off while doing so and solidify them as the Mr. Basketball. That's the great thing about this year's race. There are many deserving candidates whereas in years' past it was a one or two man race. :thumb:

As of right now, Sewell or Johnson would be my pick.:ylsuper:

:thumb: Good post

Can't agree on this one. The race isn't even close after the first two!

1-Sewell

2- Justice

3- everybody else- none of the other guys you mentioned have shown near the consistency that Sewell has so unless you want to give it a player who has a 4-5 game run at the end, I can't agree with you. I would say that Chad has been the best of the group but the others have gone through stretches where they really haven't done that much. Granted, they play on teams with a lot of talent but none have stood out.

With your logic, just give it to the MVP of state and forget the rest of the season:idunno: