Josh Sewell for Mr. Basketball

Regardless of what most in this state and on message boards think about private schools particularly private schools in Jefferson County, let's hope the coaches in this state do the right thing and acknowledge Josh Sewel as Mr. Basketball. :ylsuper:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regardless of what most in this state and on message boards think about private schools particularly private schools in Jefferson County, let's hope the coaches in this state do the right thing and acknowledge Josh Sewel as Mr. Basketball. :ylsuper:

Mr. Basketball should have stayed in Louisville last year, but injury prevented that from happening. Here's hoping Sewell gets it and he's earned it. Keep it here in Louisville!

I don't think anyone should have decided yet who Mr. Basketball is. The votes are not due now until after the Sweet 16 (correct me if I'm wrong). Therefore its should still be a wide open race with a lot of candidates still out there like:

Josh Sewell

Chad Jackson

Ricardo Johnson

Elijah Justice

Dakota Euton

Aaron Watts

Pittman

Ge'lawn Guyn

Ian Chiles

Thomas Jackson

Donovan Gibbs

etc.

I know I'm missing some great players, but my point is I believe its still wide open as it should be!

I don't think anyone should have decided yet who Mr. Basketball is. The votes are not due now until after the Sweet 16 (correct me if I'm wrong). Therefore its should still be a wide open race with a lot of candidates still out there like:

Josh Sewell

Chad Jackson

Ricardo Johnson

Elijah Justice

Dakota Euton

Aaron Watts

Pittman

Ge'lawn Guyn

Ian Chiles

Thomas Jackson

Donovan Gibbs

etc.

I know I'm missing some great players, but my point is I believe its still wide open as it should be!

Amazing. Scott County has three Mr. Basketball candidates and yet not even a lock or the favorites to win their own region.

Here's a good article not only about Josh Sewell, but the challenges a Louisville player in general, and a player from a Private school in Louisville, faces in winning Mr. Basketball.

It is a good article, but some of those challenges don't just apply to private schools in Louisville, but city schools in general.

The mountain is a powerful ally in who gets selected in addition if a player might happened to be headed to a certain college in Lexington.

Amazing. Scott County has three Mr. Basketball candidates and yet not even a lock or the favorites to win their own region.

I don't know if all 3 are candidates or any of them are really strong candidates as far as having a good shot at it, but the point of my post is the Mr. Basketball race should be wide open at this point. You could add:

Josh Whitaker

Cameron Hall

Tate Cox

Keiston Jones

Samsel from Manual

The PG at Eastern (forgot his name)

Madison Johnson

Vance Hall

Josh Sewell

Chad Jackson

Ricardo Johnson

Elijah Justice

Dakota Euton

Aaron Watts

Pittman

Ge'lawn Guyn

Ian Chiles

Thomas Jackson

Donovan Gibbs

etc.

That's a ridiculous statement!:ohbrother:

Sewell has had a year that none of the others can even come close to replicating. He has done it playing against and beating no less than ten(Ballard, Eastern, Jtown, Seneca, at Lex Cath, Clark Co, Iroquois, Male, Scott Co scrimmage, Bowling Green scrimmage) of the BGP top twenty teams in the state and winning THE three hardest tournaments in the state as MVP.

His team has to play the #12 team JUST to get to the regional, then #2 in the district final,then potentially three top ten teams to make it to state.

Justice, his closest competitor IMO for the award, will not even see a top twenty team until the second round at Rupp. You put Trinity in SV's place and they are CRUISING into the state semis with only McCreary having a shot to play with them. It just happens to be a horrible year to try to get out of the 7th but you can't penalize the kid for that!

Sewell has led the team with the best regular season in the state, he is the clear favorite even if Trinity gets upset in the region/district and if Trinity gets to Rupp the award will be a bit of a farce if he doesn't get it!!

Hope he makes it to Rupp so you can see what everybody over here in Louisville already knows! :thumb:

It is a good article, but some of those challenges don't just apply to private schools in Louisville, but city schools in general.

The mountain is a powerful ally in who gets selected in addition if a player might happened to be headed to a certain college in Lexington.

I know. I just posted my post to the tone of his article, which was local.

That's a ridiculous statement!:ohbrother:

Sewell has had a year that none of the others can even come close to replicating. He has done it playing against and beating no less than ten(Ballard, Eastern, Jtown, Seneca, at Lex Cath, Clark Co, Iroquois, Male, Scott Co scrimmage, Bowling Green scrimmage) of the BGP top twenty teams in the state and winning THE three hardest tournaments in the state as MVP.

His team has to play the #12 team JUST to get to the regional, then #2 in the district final,then potentially three top ten teams to make it to state.

Justice, his closest competitor IMO for the award, will not even see a top twenty team until the second round at Rupp. You put Trinity in SV's place and they are CRUISING into the state semis with only McCreary having a shot to play with them. It just happens to be a horibble year to try to get out of the 7th but you can't penalize the kid for that!

I don't see how my statement is ridiculous unless it was just a regular season award.

Sewell has led the team with the best regular season in the state, he is the clear favorite even if Trinity gets upset in the region/district and if Trinity gets to Rupp the award will be a bit of a farce if he doesn't get it!!

Hope he makes it to Rupp so you can see what everybody over here in Louisville already knows! :thumb:

I am not throwing off on Sewell at all. Hes had a great year. But I think he needs to perform in the post season well also. It reminds me of 08. I believe Shelvin Mack had easily the best regular season of all the candidates. But in the post season Darius Miller led his team to a State title and deserved the award. IMO if Trinity loses to Seneca and is eliminated and say McCreary Central wins a couple games in the Sweet 16 and Watts has great numbers then I think he would deserve the award.

BTW I think Watts has a nice resume for Mr. Bball too.

I don't see how this statement is ridiculous unless it was just a regular season award.

I am not throwing off on Sewell at all. Hes had a great year. But I think he needs to perform in the post season well also. It reminds me of 08. I believe Shelvin Mack had easily the best regular season of all the candidates. But in the post season Darius Miller led his team to a State title and deserved the award. IMO if Trinity loses to Seneca and is eliminated and say McCreary Central wins a couple games in the Sweet 16 and Watts has great numbers then I think he would deserve the award.

BTW I think Watts has a nice resume for Mr. Bball too.

I don't see how this statement is ridiculous unless it was just a regular season award.

The difference this year is that Sewell and Trinity have accomplished feats that no one else has in the history of the state in the midst of a 23 game winning streak while the other players have done well but nothing spectacular(Justice 1-2 in top 20 games). I'm not sure that I can agree that a four game run at state overcomes the whole season and I would bet that Darius Miller wasn't too far behind Mack with his regular season play that season.

The 7th is brutal with at least eight teams(Trinity, Ballard, Eastern. Manual, Jtown, Moore , Male, Seneca) in the position that they would be favorites in 10/16 other regions(exclude 2, 4, 9, 10, 11, 15).

I hope for the kid's sake that the award isn't a Rupp love fest as that isn't truly going to identify the top player for the year!

And I agree Watts is a nice player!

The difference this year is that Sewell and Trinity have accomplished feats that no one else has in the history of the state in the midst of a 23 game winning streak while the other players have done well but nothing spectacular(Justice 1-2 in top 20 games). I'm not sure that I can agree that a four game run at state overcomes the whole season and I would bet that Darius Miller wasn't too far behind Mack with his regular season play that season.

The 7th is brutal with at least eight teams(Trinity, Ballard, Eastern. Manual, Jtown, Moore , Male, Seneca) in the position that they would be favorites in 10/16 other regions(exclude 2, 4, 9, 10, 11, 15).

I hope for the kid's sake that the award isn't a Rupp love fest as that isn't truly going to identify the top player for the year!

And I agree Watts is a nice player!

No. The difference is NO ONE is committed to play to UK as Darius Miller was. Hopson was hands down the best talent and college prospect that year, but Miller was UK bound as was Hood last year.

No. The difference is NO ONE is committed to play to UK as Darius Miller was. Hopson was hands down the best talent and college prospect that year, but Miller was UK bound as was Hood last year.

IMO Mack played the best out of anyone that year, but Miller did lead his team to a state championship. He was deserving of the award IMO. Hopson did not deserve Mr. Basketball at all.

Agree that makes a huge difference. Don't have that factor this year,