Josh Sewell for Mr. Basketball

If anything this thread shows that the voting for the award is a farce. People, who have the responsibility of voting the state's premier player, exorcise personal agendas. I don't know what's going to happen in the district's or regional, however at this point Sewell has separated himself from all competition, it's a shame that I feel he has minimal chance to win it.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anything this thread shows that the voting for the award is a farce. People, who have the responsibility of voting the state's premier player, exorcise personal agendas. I don't know what's going to happen in the district's or regional, however at this point Sewell has separated himself from all competition, it's a shame that I feel he has minimal chance to win it.

There's always a brightside and in this case there's quite a few.

1. He's not competing against a UK commit.

2. He'll be playing in the MAC and getting a 'free' education. (His main comp is paying his way)

3. He didn't get injured and stayed healthy.

4. Played in and won all three major tourneys.

5. TEAM is in position to compete for the state.

Mr. Basketball should have stayed in Louisville last year, but injury prevented that from happening. Here's hoping Sewell gets it and he's earned it. Keep it here in Louisville!

The right guy won it last year and the year before. Jenkins is a good player but not Mr. Basketball talent. Injury or Not.

IMO I think that Sewell and Watts should be the favorites right now. McCreary Central would be very mediocre without Watts. Yet with him a small school like McCreary who is usually bad in bball has been able to beat some good 7th region schools and play with good teams. Hes also put up huge numbers best I can tell.

As for Sewell he has been the best player on a team that has had the best regular season of anyone. Hes made big plays and is a great player. I just think that the post season should factor in on this as well.

The right guy won it last year and the year before. Jenkins is a good player but not Mr. Basketball talent. Injury or Not.

Hindsight. Believe what you wish. No one was playing better until his injury, not even the guy that won it and it wasn't close.

Like last year, its a two man race and Sewell does carry extra obstacles. I'm hopeful the voters get it right.

Hindsight. Believe what you wish. No one was playing better until his injury, not even the guy that won it and it wasn't close.

Like last year, its a two man race and Sewell does carry extra obstacles. I'm hopeful the voters get it right.

Vee Sanford and Richie Phares were also very good last year. They were dominant players. Unfortunately Phares' season was cut short because of injury. And Sanford missed a few games with an injury as well.

The difference this year is that Sewell and Trinity have accomplished feats that no one else has in the history of the state in the midst of a 23 game winning streak while the other players have done well but nothing spectacular(Justice 1-2 in top 20 games). I'm not sure that I can agree that a four game run at state overcomes the whole season and I would bet that Darius Miller wasn't too far behind Mack with his regular season play that season.

The 7th is brutal with at least eight teams(Trinity, Ballard, Eastern. Manual, Jtown, Moore , Male, Seneca) in the position that they would be favorites in 10/16 other regions(exclude 2, 4, 9, 10, 11, 15).

I hope for the kid's sake that the award isn't a Rupp love fest as that isn't truly going to identify the top player for the year!

And I agree Watts is a nice player!

I was skeptical at the beginning of the year, but I will say now that Sewell has led his team to the kind of year (regardless of the state tournament) that makes him (of course IMO) a favorite for the award.

I think of the Sewell/Watts debate like this:

Over their careers, would there be much difference if the two had traded places? Remember that Watts has put up some nice numbers since his 8th grade year. I think that considering this, it looks like more of a push. Sewell's teams have certainly done better, but he has more talent around him to get it done with, more exposure, and more competition to push him day-in and day-out.