Is a compromise about to head off the great divide?

Birdsfan

The Kentucky High School Athletic Association is taking steps to forestall a controversial proposal that would create separate playoffs for public and private high schools in all sports.

The KHSAA conducted a meeting Tuesday for public and private school officials to discuss the issue and KHSAA assistant commissioner Julian Tackett called it "a very productive session."

Full Story

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Arte Johnson would say, "Very Interesting."

This has been an issue that public schools have felt for awhile but the privates have always blown it off. It seems both sides now realize it is an issue and hopefully something can be worked out.

Lawrence Bowman, director for Catholic education in the Diocese of Covington, said private schools aren't violating any current KHSAA bylaws, but they would discuss setting up enrollment boundaries as an alternative to separate playoffs.

As Arte Johnson would say, "Very Interesting."

This has been an issue that public schools have felt for awhile but the privates have always blown it off. It seems both sides now realize it is an issue and hopefully something can be worked out.

Lawrence Bowman, director for Catholic education in the Diocese of Covington, said private schools aren't violating any current KHSAA bylaws, but they would discuss setting up enrollment boundaries as an alternative to separate playoffs.

Well that kind of a no-brainer for the Diocese of Covington since they most likely have 0 to maybe 10 students that live more than 20 miles from their school.

The KHSAA conducted a meeting Tuesday for public and private school officials to discuss the issue and KHSAA assistant commissioner Julian Tackett called it "a very productive session."

This should have happened years ago rather than leave this issue to fester.

My concern about the "terratories" issue is this....A kid who goes to Immaculate Conception in LaGrange would not be able to attend a private high school in Louisville, without foregoing a year of sports participation. I just don't see how this is fair to the kids.

My concern about the "terratories" issue is this....A kid who goes to Immaculate Conception in LaGrange would not be able to attend a private high school in Louisville, without foregoing a year of sports participation. I just don't see how this is fair to the kids.

How many times do we have to tell you? It's no longer about the kids. It's about the administrators and parents and the fact that they are trying to make every single person a winner. Or so it seems.

How many times do we have to tell you? It's no longer about the kids. It's about the administrators and parents and the fact that they are trying to make every single person a winner. Or so it seems.

I'm pretty hard headed. :D

I think that enacting the 20 mile rule is a bad idea. First it would have almost no effect on competitive balance, so in a couple of years we are right back where we started. Second, as worded it only applies to private schools. That makes it blatant discrimination. Third, A very large number of people do not live within 20 miles of any private school and most especially do not live within 20 miles of the religious school of their choice. I think that the parents of some such kid would sue and win. I am glad that the two sides are talking. If the publics are worried about athletic based recruiting, I think that a very reasonable compromise would be to remove the coaches and athletic officials from any contact with any prospective student, except in a supervised school setting. If the coaches can't talk to prospective students, they can't very well recruit them for athletics. Since most coaches are also teachers, some contact would happen during shadow visits and that sort of thing. Those visits should be supervised to make sure that athletic recruiting is not on the agenda.

I think that enacting the 20 mile rule is a bad idea. First it would have almost no effect on competitive balance, so in a couple of years we are right back where we started. Second, as worded it only applies to private schools. That makes it blatant discrimination. Third, A very large number of people do not live within 20 miles of any private school and most especially do not live within 20 miles of the religious school of their choice. I think that the parents of some such kid would sue and win. I am glad that the two sides are talking. If the publics are worried about athletic based recruiting, I think that a very reasonable compromise would be to remove the coaches and athletic officials from any contact with any prospective student, except in a supervised school setting. If the coaches can't talk to prospective students, they can't very well recruit them for athletics. Since most coaches are also teachers, some contact would happen during shadow visits and that sort of thing. Those visits should be supervised to make sure that athletic recruiting is not on the agenda.

Me thinks that if the 20 mile radius cures all, then this all wasn't about more state champions for public schools, it wasn't about more regional champions for public schools, it wasn't about so-called minor sports being dominated by private schools, it wasn't about Girls sports being dominated by private schools,...................it was about limiting Trinity, St.X, and LexCath.

Basically nothing will change in NKY, nothing will change with the Louisville Girls schools. Most of the Christian schools will be largely uneffected especially sports-wise.

And I believe as Trinity Alum has listed that it will not really resolve anything.

I agree, Rockmom...same as a kid from across the river (in another STATE, oh my goodness!!!)

It is not going to be fair to everyone, no way to accomplish that. As been pointed out on here, Life is not fair. It has not been fair to the other schools in the 11th region that they have to compete against a school that is made up of some of the best players from a 5-6 counties surrounding Fayette County.

IF and this is a huge IF

IF the private schools agree with this then there had better be some assurance from the powers that be (in writing) that this settles the issue for ever and that there will be no effort in 5, 10 or 15 years to separate the publics from the privates again.

I have no peoblem with a compromise and if the administrators of the private schools feel they are still able to perform their missions within this type of limit then so be it, but if as I suspect it makes no real difference in the competative balance then I don't want the public schools to be able to bring this up again and again and again.