Officials - Bad Calls

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As an official I know when I miss a call. I can also tell you that I am very upset with myself when I know that I missed a call. I don't need someone to tell me, I know. These kids work hard to get where they are, and I don't want to mess it up for any kid. I also believe MOST officials feel the same way!

LexCath is notorious for getting a friendly whistle. They remind me of watching Duke play at home!

PTB, I am in full agreement on this one!

NO QUESTION that is one of the worst places to play. Refs allow them to mug you with their press but if your team fights back to get free they get the foul. Had one of our key players whistled for his fifth trying to get free from an obvious hold after drawing two other phantom fouls earlier.

If I was an AD I wouldn't play at that place unless I had to for the region.

It's unfortunate because their kids play well but their home court gets a bad reputation because of the recurrent terrible officiating.

Obviously, coaches have the right and should have the right to scratch officials. The number of officials they can scratch is debateable. I believe the state gives all coaches the ability to scratch 10% of the officials on their assignment list. So, if you have forty eligible officials, coach can scratch four.

Coaches should be allowed one or two scratches at the most. Additionally, coaches should not be allowed to scratch an official for more than two consecutive years.

Just my two cents!!!

What is your logic in only allowing a coach to scratch an official for 2 years?

Not my idea, just what I've heard.

I know in the 10th and 11th region coaches get 5 scratches. The problem comes in the post-season. The coaches of these two regions want to keep their officials (which they should because they are the best in the state) for region play. Coaches have figured out how different officials call different games and they base thier scratches on who they do/don't want to see in the region. So, here is a possible scenario:

Team A coach scratches the officials who are ranked #1, 3, 5, 6, and 8 in the association.

Team B coach scratches the officials who are ranked #2, 4, 7, 9 and 10 in the association.

Team A and Team B make it to the finals of the region. You have the #11, 12 and 13 ranked officials in that particular region working the final game. I don't think that's what the ranking system is set up to accomplish.

What is your logic in only allowing a coach to scratch an official for 2 years?

Most scratches occur due to a call or series of calls in a season (could be multiple games). Coaches need to realize that officials change and evolve with experience.

Take two years apart. Then give the guys another chance. It could be that the reason for the scratch, that one call or one game, was the turning point in a career.

If you still don't like it, then you get another two years.

I know in the 10th and 11th region coaches get 5 scratches. The problem comes in the post-season. The coaches of these two regions want to keep their officials (which they should because they are the best in the state) for region play. Coaches have figured out how different officials call different games and they base thier scratches on who they do/don't want to see in the region. So, here is a possible scenario:

Team A coach scratches the officials who are ranked #1, 3, 5, 6, and 8 in the association.

Team B coach scratches the officials who are ranked #2, 4, 7, 9 and 10 in the association.

Team A and Team B make it to the finals of the region. You have the #11, 12 and 13 ranked officials in that particular region working the final game. I don't think that's what the ranking system is set up to accomplish.

I agree -- one or two each and you move well up the food chain..

Don't think that's how it works for the "region" tourney. The top 6 from each region, regardless of a coaches scratch is who makes the region tourney. Does the 10 & 11 switch officials for the region tourney?

Don't think that's how it works for the "region" tourney. The top 6 from each region, regardless of a coaches scratch is who makes the region tourney. Does the 10 & 11 switch officials for the region tourney?

I thought that the 10th and 11th both use officials from the Bluegrass Basketball Association.