Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Officials - Bad Calls

Featured Replies

I would think that most coaches don't take the time to do this.

 

It depends on how bad they feel they were wronged. I'd bet the assignor gets more calls than you would expect.

  • Replies 59
  • Views 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can a coach put a ref on a list that means that he will not ever referee a game involving that coach?

Yes a coach can scratch an official.

Yes a coach can scratch an official.

 

I hear the number of scratches for coaches next year is going to be cut to 2 per coach in some regions. Is this right? I hear it is because some coaches abuse their scratches.

As an official I know when I miss a call. I can also tell you that I am very upset with myself when I know that I missed a call. I don't need someone to tell me, I know. These kids work hard to get where they are, and I don't want to mess it up for any kid. I also believe MOST officials feel the same way!

LexCath is notorious for getting a friendly whistle. They remind me of watching Duke play at home!

 

PTB, I am in full agreement on this one!

 

NO QUESTION that is one of the worst places to play. Refs allow them to mug you with their press but if your team fights back to get free they get the foul. Had one of our key players whistled for his fifth trying to get free from an obvious hold after drawing two other phantom fouls earlier.

 

If I was an AD I wouldn't play at that place unless I had to for the region.

 

It's unfortunate because their kids play well but their home court gets a bad reputation because of the recurrent terrible officiating.

Most are pretty bad. The worse thing is the inconsistency. I would hate to have a job where I had to or chose to run away after it was over.

Obviously, coaches have the right and should have the right to scratch officials. The number of officials they can scratch is debateable. I believe the state gives all coaches the ability to scratch 10% of the officials on their assignment list. So, if you have forty eligible officials, coach can scratch four.

 

Coaches should be allowed one or two scratches at the most. Additionally, coaches should not be allowed to scratch an official for more than two consecutive years.

 

 

Just my two cents!!!

What is your logic in only allowing a coach to scratch an official for 2 years?

What is your logic in only allowing a coach to scratch an official for 2 years?

 

Not my idea, just what I've heard.

I know in the 10th and 11th region coaches get 5 scratches. The problem comes in the post-season. The coaches of these two regions want to keep their officials (which they should because they are the best in the state) for region play. Coaches have figured out how different officials call different games and they base thier scratches on who they do/don't want to see in the region. So, here is a possible scenario:

Team A coach scratches the officials who are ranked #1, 3, 5, 6, and 8 in the association.

Team B coach scratches the officials who are ranked #2, 4, 7, 9 and 10 in the association.

Team A and Team B make it to the finals of the region. You have the #11, 12 and 13 ranked officials in that particular region working the final game. I don't think that's what the ranking system is set up to accomplish.

What is your logic in only allowing a coach to scratch an official for 2 years?

 

Most scratches occur due to a call or series of calls in a season (could be multiple games). Coaches need to realize that officials change and evolve with experience.

Take two years apart. Then give the guys another chance. It could be that the reason for the scratch, that one call or one game, was the turning point in a career.

If you still don't like it, then you get another two years.

Not my idea, just what I've heard.

I know in the 10th and 11th region coaches get 5 scratches. The problem comes in the post-season. The coaches of these two regions want to keep their officials (which they should because they are the best in the state) for region play. Coaches have figured out how different officials call different games and they base thier scratches on who they do/don't want to see in the region. So, here is a possible scenario:

Team A coach scratches the officials who are ranked #1, 3, 5, 6, and 8 in the association.

Team B coach scratches the officials who are ranked #2, 4, 7, 9 and 10 in the association.

Team A and Team B make it to the finals of the region. You have the #11, 12 and 13 ranked officials in that particular region working the final game. I don't think that's what the ranking system is set up to accomplish.

 

I agree -- one or two each and you move well up the food chain..

If I were an official, why would I want to officiate a game knowing that the coach didn't want me there. I probably wouldn't want to be there either. Has the chemistry for a "mad marriage".

Not my idea, just what I've heard.

I know in the 10th and 11th region coaches get 5 scratches. The problem comes in the post-season. The coaches of these two regions want to keep their officials (which they should because they are the best in the state) for region play. Coaches have figured out how different officials call different games and they base thier scratches on who they do/don't want to see in the region. So, here is a possible scenario:

Team A coach scratches the officials who are ranked #1, 3, 5, 6, and 8 in the association.

Team B coach scratches the officials who are ranked #2, 4, 7, 9 and 10 in the association.

Team A and Team B make it to the finals of the region. You have the #11, 12 and 13 ranked officials in that particular region working the final game. I don't think that's what the ranking system is set up to accomplish.

 

Don't think that's how it works for the "region" tourney. The top 6 from each region, regardless of a coaches scratch is who makes the region tourney. Does the 10 & 11 switch officials for the region tourney?

Don't think that's how it works for the "region" tourney. The top 6 from each region, regardless of a coaches scratch is who makes the region tourney. Does the 10 & 11 switch officials for the region tourney?

 

I thought that the 10th and 11th both use officials from the Bluegrass Basketball Association.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.