Officials - Bad Calls

Unfortanately BEZ, The Bluegrass Basketball Association Assigning Secretaries have always honored the coaches scratches even in the District and Regional Tournaments. I know several of the top officials that have not worked the regional finals because of a certain school making it to the final.

Last year was a prime example as 4 of the top 6 rated officials were not working the regional FINALS. This is not what the scratch system is all about. Thoses guys and gals work hard all year long to get top games and top regional games and for them to get scratch from the finals is not deserving to them. They should get what they deserve. The teams do.:sssh:

I totally disagree.... it's not about the ref and what games he gets!!! It's about the student athlete. If a coach scratches a ref, whether it is his calls or personality conflict etc... he has a reason....

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally disagree.... it's not about the ref and what games he gets!!! It's about the student athlete. If a coach scratches a ref, whether it is his calls or personality conflict etc... he has a reason....

So Wire, You are saying the Student Athlete deserves the best and deserves to move on based on their performance on the court.? But it is not fair for the officials to advance based on their performance on the court? Why is it fair for a coach to scratch a good official and remove him from a game in the regional tournament from what he/she deserves? I really have a hard time seeing your reasoning. Is it fair to the other coach and kids on the other teams that has no conflict only to get a lessor rated official? Your reasoning is exactly why it sounds like they are going to only two scratches for the officials next year. If they vote for them to stay in each year, because they feel they are better, than what they may get from another region, then the scratches must get fewer..:ylsuper::thumb::clap:

So Wire' date=' You are saying the Student Athlete deserves the best and deserves to move on based on their performance on the court.? But it is not fair for the officials to advance based on their performance on the court? Why is it fair for a coach to scratch a good official and remove him from a game in the regional tournament from what he/she deserves? I really have a hard time seeing your reasoning. Is it fair to the other coach and kids on the other teams that has no conflict only to get a lessor rated official? Your reasoning is exactly why it sounds like they are going to only two scratches for the officials next year. If they vote for them to stay in each year, because they feel they are better, than what they may get from another region, then the scratches must get fewer..:ylsuper::thumb::clap:[/quote']

I am saying the student athlete trumps all. That's what it is about. If a coach for what ever reason don't think his team will get a fair unbiased game from an official, he has every right to scratch him. Even more so in the championship game of the regional tourney.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sick of the refs who use a kids basketball game to draw attention to themselves. They just like the sound of blowing their own whistle. I watched a girls game last night and the refs called over 15 fouls in 1 quarter; watched the same refs this morning call 21 fouls in the first half. With every call one of the refs would look to the stands to get everyone's attention, then shout the call. The ref called a foul, the kid asked what he did and the ref answered, 'I don't know exactly but it was a foul'. WHAT!!!

Apparently, this ref felt he wasn't getting enough attention from the crowd because he then started arguing with a guy in the stands about where a player should stand to be checked into the game. Once he figured out he was WRONG, he told the guy to get out of HIS gym. EXCUSE ME, I thought the gym was there for the kids. When did it become the ref's gym.

It's pretty bad when the JV and Varsity coaches of the winning middle school team tell the losing team, 'Wow, you guys got HOMERED'. :madman::madman:

Edited by ttank
spelling

It really amazes me how bad some officials are. I watched a ballgame last Thursday that the home team shot the ball and it got stuck between the goal and the backboard...the officials called time out and had to go into a deep discussion on who to give the ball to. This is just one example of them calling official time out to discuss what they should call. It wasn't that the game was called against one team it was truly the worse overall officiating I have ever seen. The sad thing is I have seen these same officials at several other ballgames.

Is there a shortage of officials? If so, are the standards for being certified to officiate at the varsity level being lowered in order to have enough officials for all the games? Just wondering? I suppose it is too costly to have an evaluator at every varsity game to evaluate the officials. Do you think that would help increase the quality of officiating?

Is there a shortage of officials? If so, are the standards for being certified to officiate at the varsity level being lowered in order to have enough officials for all the games? Just wondering? I suppose it is too costly to have an evaluator at every varsity game to evaluate the officials. Do you think that would help increase the quality of officiating?

I don't believe there is a shortage of officials and they are evaluated. There are too many games to evaluate officials at every varsity game. There is also training throughout the year and camp and clinic opportunities throughout the summer months.

I've never understood why people continually take what is said on here about the awful officiating of a game and the numbers of missed calls as if that is the gospel truth. :idunno: Where did their expertise come from to be able to give such definitive and accurate labels on the way a game is officiated?

I don't believe there is a shortage of officials and they are evaluated. There are too many games to evaluate officials at every varsity game. There is also training throughout the year and camp and clinic opportunities throughout the summer months.

I've never understood why people continually take what is said on here about the awful officiating of a game and the numbers of missed calls as if that is the gospel truth. :idunno: Where did their expertise come from to be able to give such definitive and accurate labels on the way a game is officiated?

So if I understand your statement correctly, you are saying that the comments critiquing the officials' performance are coming from individuals that are far less qualified to make those judgements than those officials being critiqued. That sounds about right. :thumb:

I can't tell you how often I sit next to someone yelling and screaming about calls when they are just flat wrong about the rules. Must be some of the same folks.

So if I understand your statement correctly, you are saying that the comments critiquing the officials' performance are coming from individuals that are far less qualified to make those judgements than those officials being critiqued. That sounds about right. :thumb:

I can't tell you how often I sit next to someone yelling and screaming about calls when they are just flat wrong about the rules. Must be some of the same folks.

Some of these people probably would not last a quarter of a game before they would want to turn in their whistles. I for one do not wanna do it but man some of the fans,coaches, and players blame the ref for everything that goes wrong in their games, don"t get me wrong I have seen games i thought could have been officiated better but i'm sure those guy's have off night's just like everybody else.:sssh:

They're rated based on their mechanics and not their judgement.

they are based on the coaches ratings . a list is sent to each coach to list the top 40 refs. it is like alot of things a popularity contest. being an basketball ref for more bthan 25 years, it hard when you go to summer camps and not be rated by some coaches for some reason