Officials - Bad Calls

For the officials out there, I am sure there are many times when you know you have missed a call or made a bad call. The question is, do officials ever discuss the bad calls after the game? Would you ever talk to another official after the game or at half time about a call he/she made that was clearly a bad one? For example, it is apparently clear that Edgington made a bad call on the T in the Holmes game. If you were another official in that game, would you discuss the call with her? What do officials discuss at half time? Do you have a game plan? Let us all inside the officials locker room and in particular, let us know if you discuss calls at half time and after games .

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the officials out there, I am sure there are many times when you know you have missed a call or made a bad call. The question is, do officials ever discuss the bad calls after the game? Would you ever talk to another official after the game or at half time about a call he/she made that was clearly a bad one? For example, it is apparently clear that Edgington made a bad call on the T in the Holmes game. If you were another official in that game, would you discuss the call with her? What do officials discuss at half time? Do you have a game plan? Let us all inside the officials locker room and in particular, let us know if you discuss calls at half time and after games .

In Northern Ky. a few of them discuss them later at local establishments and have a few laughs.

Edited by EZ Living
spelling

Officials do discuss calls. They also admit to their partners when they blew one.

Prior to a game you will mainly discuss situations and rotations. You'll talk about communicating with each other. You might talk about the teams/players/coaches if you've had them before. You might talk about plays that came up in other games and how you handled it and discuss how it should be handled in the future.

In the case of the Holmes game last night I'm sure the T came up. I'd also guess that since its not a rule question but more of a judgement call that the official said in her judgment it was excessive. Not much to discuss there.

I'm sure they sat around and laughed at how they stole the game from Manual at Lexington Catholic last week. What a joke that game was. If I was a Louisville high school coach, I would never take a team to Lexington Catholic and play a game unless you want a L on your record. It's tough to beat the ref's. I don't like to blame officiating because usually the team that lost could've done things differently or adjusted their strategy to win the game, but this game was different.

Two college programs were at the game and commented on how bad it looked that one particular ref made many questionable calls and influenced the game. Hey that was their opinion not mine. I heard them talking about it after the game.

I think most all ref's try to do the best job they can possibly do when out on the court. They all miss calls, but this game was different.

I'm sure they sat around and laughed at how they stole the game from Manual at Lexington Catholic last week. What a joke that game was. If I was a Louisville high school coach, I would never take a team to Lexington Catholic and play a game unless you want a L on your record. It's tough to beat the ref's. I don't like to blame officiating because usually the team that lost could've done things differently or adjusted their strategy to win the game, but this game was different.

Two college programs were at the game and commented on how bad it looked that one particular ref made many questionable calls and influenced the game. Hey that was their opinion not mine. I heard them talking about it after the game.

I think most all ref's try to do the best job they can possibly do when out on the court. They all miss calls, but this game was different.

I think we all have seen games that we felt like you do on this one concerning officials. I also think emotions often cloud judgment and sometimes a few "bad calls" can start to snowball and cause fans to question every call or non call in a game. I also think that if you were to go back and watch that game on tape objectively, you will see a lot of those calls you questioned earlier are borderline calls that emotion caused you to view differently during the game. If we could watch games on tape a second time, I believe our opinions on many calls during the game would change or we would at least see why the ref made the call.

LexCath is notorious for getting a friendly whistle. They remind me of watching Duke play at home!

I think we all have seen games that we felt like you do on this one concerning officials. I also think emotions often cloud judgment and sometimes a few "bad calls" can start to snowball and cause fans to question every call or non call in a game. I also think that if you were to go back and watch that game on tape objectively, you will see a lot of those calls you questioned earlier are borderline calls that emotion caused you to view differently during the game. If we could watch games on tape a second time, I believe our opinions on many calls during the game would change or we would at least see why the ref made the call.

Hey, as I stated earlier in this thread, I usually always give the officials the benefit of the doubt and a few bad calls isn't what caused a team to lose a game. It is usually execution, defense, or coaching that normally affects the outcome of the game. I don't know if you where present for this game, but Manual's best player to be ejected at the 3 minute mark of the 4th quarter was rediculous and did affect this game. :puke:

Hey, as I stated earlier in this thread, I usually always give the officials the benefit of the doubt and a few bad calls isn't what caused a team to lose a game. It is usually execution, defense, or coaching that normally affects the outcome of the game. I don't know if you where present for this game, but Manual's best player to be ejected at the 3 minute mark of the 4th quarter was rediculous and did affect this game. :puke:

What was the reason for the ejection?

Well, there is no list of words used listed in the rulebook that would automatically warrant a T so its a judgment call. We all have different tolerance levels. Certain words are going to warrant a T. However, I'd have to think long and hard of what I would have to hear in order to issue a flagrant T.

Again, we all have different opinions of what constitutes a flagrant so in that official's mind it obviously crossed HIS line.

LOL. Well I've only found one person that thinks it warranted a flagrant T and it was the only one that counted. This is the same ref that called a majority of the fouls in this contest. The other two did a decent job officiating. If you were at the game, you would understand how blatent this guy was at calling fouls against Manual. Don't take my word for it, just ask anyone else that was at the game. I've never seen it like that before at any contest. Live and learn

It is what it is and all anyone can do is move forward. I'm sure it's behind Manual and they are concentrating their efforts towards districts and regionals.

Who and how are officials rated? Is there an official's supervisor who will admonish an official for a call that is blatantly bad? Does a coach have someone he/she can go to with a complaint about an official?

They're rated based on their mechanics and not their judgement.

Who and how are officials rated? Is there an official's supervisor who will admonish an official for a call that is blatantly bad? Does a coach have someone he/she can go to with a complaint about an official?

They're rated based on their mechanics and not their judgement.

A coach can always go to the region assignor with a problem/complaint.

At the end of the year coaches rate officials before the tournaments begin. This , along with the ratings from the assignor, factor into which officials get tournament games.

Since coaches could care less about mechanics and since they are rating officials its not true that officials are rated solely on mechanics.

I too have seen bad officiating but i also know that i'm atleast 50ft away i am not sure what the officials see and nobody else on here is either, heck you could question every call. And some officails thank the fans are there to see them officiate, those are the one's that do not give the kid's a fair game, and yes some officials should find another another hobby.

A coach can always go to the region assignor with a problem/complaint.

At the end of the year coaches rate officials before the tournaments begin. This , along with the ratings from the assignor, factor into which officials get tournament games.

Since coaches could care less about mechanics and since they are rating officials its not true that officials are rated solely on mechanics.

I would think that most coaches don't take the time to do this.