Officials - Bad Calls

I thought that the 10th and 11th both use officials from the Bluegrass Basketball Association.

They all come from the same pool. The way I understand it, there aren't officials dedicated to just the 11th or just the 10th, but the assigning secretary will try to keep them as close to home as possible. So, if "home" is Mt. Sterling or Maysville, they're probably not going to be doing any games in Frankfort or Berea.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about this, but that's how it was explained to me a few years ago.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They all come from the same pool. The way I understand it, there aren't officials dedicated to just the 11th or just the 10th, but the assigning secretary will try to keep them as close to home as possible. So, if "home" is Mt. Sterling or Maysville, they're probably not going to be doing any games in Frankfort or Berea.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about this, but that's how it was explained to me a few years ago.

Incorrect. If you are an official in the BBA, you have no say in where you go. So, guys that live in Frankfort for example have no choice to drive to Maysville and work if they are assigned the 10th Region tournament. Just ask Kirk Hudson.

Incorrect. If you are an official in the BBA, you have no say in where you go. So, guys that live in Frankfort for example have no choice to drive to Maysville and work if they are assigned the 10th Region tournament. Just ask Kirk Hudson.

The regionals are an obvious exception. I was speaking more to regular-season games. If the BBA's assigning secretary was making a regular habit of sending its officials 2-3 hours one way for a game, there would be some serious objections.

The regionals are an obvious exception. I was speaking more to regular-season games. If the BBA's assigning secretary was making a regular habit of sending its officials 2-3 hours one way for a game, there would be some serious objections.

Regular season is the same. However, I do think the assigner uses common sense and doesn't send guys who live in Maysville to Berea weekly or guys who live in Mt. Sterling to Scott High weekly. It does happen though.

So let me see if I understand this correctly. The 10 & 11 officials work their own regional tourney? Boy, now I would hate to do that as an official. I'm glad we switch with another region.

So let me see if I understand this correctly. The 10 & 11 officials work their own regional tourney? Boy, now I would hate to do that as an official. I'm glad we switch with another region.

That is correct. The coaches elect to keep them (again, because they are the best in the state).

Don't think that's how it works for the "region" tourney. The top 6 from each region, regardless of a coaches scratch is who makes the region tourney. Does the 10 & 11 switch officials for the region tourney?

Unfortanately BEZ, The Bluegrass Basketball Association Assigning Secretaries have always honored the coaches scratches even in the District and Regional Tournaments. I know several of the top officials that have not worked the regional finals because of a certain school making it to the final.

Last year was a prime example as 4 of the top 6 rated officials were not working the regional FINALS. This is not what the scratch system is all about. Thoses guys and gals work hard all year long to get top games and top regional games and for them to get scratch from the finals is not deserving to them. They should get what they deserve. The teams do.:sssh:

At the end of the day, a lot of folks forget that officials work for the schools and, thus, if a school playing doesn't want that official then, since they are the employer, don't have to have that official. It's really that simple.

Unfortanately BEZ, The Bluegrass Basketball Association Assigning Secretaries have always honored the coaches scratches even in the District and Regional Tournaments. I know several of the top officials that have not worked the regional finals because of a certain school making it to the final.

Last year was a prime example as 4 of the top 6 rated officials were not working the regional FINALS. This is not what the scratch system is all about. Thoses guys and gals work hard all year long to get top games and top regional games and for them to get scratch from the finals is not deserving to them. They should get what they deserve. The teams do.:sssh:

That's what you get when you don't switch with another region. Plus I'd put the top 12th region guys against anyone in the state!

At a game in the 14th Region last night, a crew of 3 officials called back to back Girls and Boys varsity Games. Which I have stated in the past about this pratice and the officials ability to properly call both games. But the situation was that there was a contact between two players that was a no call from the officials with one players injured with a cut lip and having to leave the game. The one ref. in front of the scores table talking to the coach about the know call and waiting for him to enter a sub. in the game, while his two fellow officials put the ball in play to the team that only had 4 players on the floor with the player driving the full lenght of the of the court and scoring a layup before a whistle was blown stopping play. The red faces and the looks on the 2 refs. were priceless. This goes back to the point of refs. calling back to back games. Fatigue does play a factor. Sorry for the lone post , but I had to make my point.Good luck to whom ever we trade refs. with for the Regionals.

At a game in the 14th Region last night, a crew of 3 officials called back to back Girls and Boys varsity Games. Which I have stated in the past about this pratice and the officials ability to properly call both games. But the situation was that there was a contact between two players that was a no call from the officials with one players injured with a cut lip and having to leave the game. The one ref. in front of the scores table talking to the coach about the know call and waiting for him to enter a sub. in the game, while his two fellow officials put the ball in play to the team that only had 4 players on the floor with the player driving the full lenght of the of the court and scoring a layup before a whistle was blown stopping play. The red faces and the looks on the 2 refs. were priceless. This goes back to the point of refs. calling back to back games. Fatigue does play a factor. Sorry for the lone post , but I had to make my point.Good luck to whom ever we trade refs. with for the Regionals.

Another reason not to switch. Why should Region A, who has pretty decent officials get Region B's officials, who let's say "struggle"?

Never will or I have never seen this happen.........a scenario that makes no sense......so you want those guys...# 11,12, and 13 to call your regular season games too because you have to make those scratches during your pre-season ratings.....you can't just scratch before tourney......

And not only did they probably call 2 varsity games in a row, there is also a tourney going on at the new Knott Sportsplex where they probably called 4 or 5 games over their before going to do varsity games. This happens every weekend too, this is the only way some people can afford to feed their family, and pay the bills, not to mention their is a shortage of officials in this area to help out these kids to get games in. Quit complaining about how many game these officials are calling, if you want to help out, get a whistle and try getting on the floor, and if you don't shut the heck up complaining about these guys that are out their night in and night out giving these kids an opportunity to play this game. Yes some are better than others, but at least they are out there while people up in the stands like you are bashing them for trying to make a living and doing these teams a service for even being their. :isurrender:

Another reason not to switch. Why should Region A, who has pretty decent officials get Region B's officials, who let's say "struggle"?

That is my question too, our top 12 guys here in the 14th are by far better than the whole 13th and 15th region guys. So why in the world would our guys be going to the 13th to call their regional tourney and their guys go to the 15th and the 15th guys are coming to the 14th, ridiculous. Not good for our teams to have to put up with such pitiful officiating in the regional tourney, leave our guys here and let them call our tourney. They call all year long and then call the districts too, why would the region be any different.:ylsuper:

Master of Hardwood :isurrender:Sorry I was not trying to put down anyone, but stating a fact that I see as the truth and have a right to my on opinion. IMO the games at the Knott Sport Plex is a good place for some young refs. to better their experience. Then there such a thing as an obligation to their first prior for Varsity Refs. should be the High School games. Back off a little and don't take everything so personal. But again in your position maybe you can't.