Bengals Draft

Chris Perry, Kenny Irons, Chase Coffman, Jerome Simpson and on and on. If we were to keep score on drafted players that were very good, compared to those that were not, since Marvin, well it's not close. Really to be able to name four is pretty good considering the Bengals Draft history under Mikey boy.

Since Marvin has been here it has not been that bad. Palmer, Steinbach, Whitworth, Chris Henry, Pollack, Thurman, Peko, Bernard Scott, Magaluga, Hall, Josepth, Mediu Williams, Nduweke, Pat Sims, Huber, Rivers, Tab Perry. Andre Smith, and Coffman are two guys that could end up being great draft picks.

What really hurt them is the 2005 draft. They had a great draft that year, but had some bad luck with guys having career ending injuries in Pollack and Tab Perry. Then obviously you had Chris Henry and Thurman. Under Marvin they have done pretty decent.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TJ Houshmanzadeh was a 7th round selection. OchoCinco was another good draft pick.

Kenny Irons was injured, so that's just bad luck. Same with David Pollack. Similar story with Odell Thurman.

There's no excuse for Chris Perry and Jerome Simpson though. Overall, I agree with you. But let's not act like the Bengals haven't made SOME good choices.

I was very pleased with last year's draft, including Coffman. Hopefully he'll contribute next year.

They've done better:thumb: at least defensively.

Since Marvin has been here it has not been that bad. Palmer, Steinbach, Whitworth, Chris Henry, Pollack, Thurman, Peko, Bernard Scott, Magaluga, Hall, Josepth, Mediu Williams, Nduweke, Pat Sims, Huber, Rivers, Tab Perry. Andre Smith, and Coffman are two guys that could end up being great draft picks.

What really hurt them is the 2005 draft. They had a great draft that year, but had some bad luck with guys having career ending injuries in Pollack and Tab Perry. Then obviously you had Chris Henry and Thurman. Under Marvin they have done pretty decent.

Throw in a horrendous 2004 draft, and we see one of the reasons for not much happening after 2005.

I am a true Bengals fan , But still a proven fact we need a TE ,a safety and a yes help at the WR, but hopefully Coastal Carolina doesn't have another Jerome Simpson out there . Kelly doesn't cut it ,Coats can't catch a cold , who knows about Coffman (never seen the field this year ,Did he ?) Gotta to have some help in this position so Palmer don't look as bad next year as he did this year . Maybe Tebow or a Kicker ,with Mike Brown you never know .

I think we need to give Coffman a little more time before he is labeled a bust. He was an absolute stud at Missouri and caught everything thrown his way.

He had a very bad foot injury in his senior season and never really recovered from it last year. Everyone was thinking that all the extra reps he got in camp after Kelly and Utech went down were going to help him come along faster, but in the end it probably contributed to this wasted season as he never got fully healthy. I woud venture to say that it is awfully hard to block with a hurt foot, or any part of the lower body for that matter, because that is where your strength comes from.

I think Coffman will become a solid player and if Kelly comes back fully healthy maybe he can contribute next year on passing downs.

He's small but I don't see why he couldn't block. Maybe he won't ever be a top of the line run blocking TE but he could be adequate. I guess Dwight Freeney is too small to get a good pass rush or Drew Brees can't play QB? Hernandez did everything in college, and I know that it's a big difference at the next level but you'd have to think he'd put on weight. He'll be okay IMO.

What has Hernandez done that Coffman didn't do?

What has Hernandez done that Coffman didn't do?

Umm, well he has been the lead blocker for much of Florida's run game so he has alot of experience blocking DE's and LB's. Not NFL DE's but what league has better defenders in college than the SEC? UF's run game is very prostyled blocking-wise IMO so he has experience in the power game.

I don't think that Missouri's 7 yard shotgun, no-back pass, heavy attack does the same thing for a TE but maybe some do?

Also Hernandez doesn't have Coffman's size but he is way more athletic IMO. He was a tough cover for people even if Tebow wasn't accurate with the football all of the time.

Umm, well he has been the lead blocker for much of Florida's run game so he has alot of experience blocking DE's and LB's. Not NFL DE's but what league has better defenders in college than the SEC? UF's run game is very prostyled blocking-wise IMO so he has experience in the power game.

I don't think that Missouri's 7 yard shotgun, no-back pass, heavy attack does the same thing for a TE but maybe some do?

Also Hernandez doesn't have Coffman's size but he is way more athletic IMO. He was a tough cover for people even if Tebow wasn't accurate with the football all of the time.

Just from viewing Hard Knocks it was obvious that Chase was behind the curve when it comes to the blocking aspect of the NFL game. I just don't think the Bengals are in a position to draft a 1st round TE when they have more pressing needs, and may have a solid TE in Coffman, only time will tell but he needs to progress quickly.

Just from viewing Hard Knocks it was obvious that Chase was behind the curve when it comes to the blocking aspect of the NFL game. I just don't think the Bengals are in a position to draft a 1st round TE when they have more pressing needs, and may have a solid TE in Coffman, only time will tell but he needs to progress quickly.

Oh I don't think they should go TE either. But, I do like Hernandez and think that he'll be a good pro. I was big on him even before Big Spikes was so I want to see him do well.

I am a true Bengals fan , But still a proven fact we need a TE ,a safety and a yes help at the WR, but hopefully Coastal Carolina doesn't have another Jerome Simpson out there . Kelly doesn't cut it ,Coats can't catch a cold , who knows about Coffman (never seen the field this year ,Did he ?) Gotta to have some help in this position so Palmer don't look as bad next year as he did this year . Maybe Tebow or a Kicker ,with Mike Brown you never know .

I disagree about Kelley. He is regarded as a very good run blocking tight end. But I get what you mean, they haven't had a receiving threat, to speak of, at TE for a long time. I'm hoping Coffman can become that kind of player instead of having to used another really high pick on a TE. Most teams don't use high picks on TE's.