How many people have 3 or more kids...

RockPride

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have three kids also. Beechwoodfan nailed it. Mine are now grown and partially gone! girl 25, boy 23, boy 20. The hardest for me was going from one to two. It didn't last very long, and in the blink of an eye, it's over! Congratulations and good luck. Remember to laugh, or you'll go prematurely grey AND bald!

Oh, and like I know we all do, TRY to keep things even. I was told a few weeks ago that yes, they DO keep score, but some don't whine about it to us like others do!

My mom and dad were talking about this the other night.

They had three kids, me being the oldest. We were all born 5 years apart. By the time my youngest brother was born I was 10 years old and more than capable to help out with all the challenges of having 3 kids.

4. You will soon find that you have an invisible 4th child who does everything wrong in your house. With three, there is an extra margin of "reasonable doubt" in every "I didnt do that" sitiuation in the home.

I have three children and I know about that invisible fourth child. His name is "Not Me". You will hear it often. For example when you ask "who made this mess?" the answer you will get is "Not Me'. I would always respond with who is this "Not Me" person living in my house and does he have a Social Security number so I can claim him as a deduction on my taxes? :D

Going from a family of 4 to a family of 5 is a big deal (don't get me started on family of 7!) You can't fit comfortably at a square table or booth in a restaurant. In hotels, somebody has a blow up bed in the floor. You have to rent a minivan or SUV on vacation because there's not enough luggage room, etc, etc, etc. The modern world is not well-equipped for more than 2 children per family, so you have to make things work.

I will second the comments about kids being involved with stuff as they get older. With different genders and different sports, rarely do my husband and I see a game/match/meet together. We also have to enlist grandparents to help when we have 3 different places (usually in different towns) in one day or weekend. Getting people to practices is an absolute nightmare and takes a lot of foresight and scheduling on the driver, usually me. It makes family time even more important and we have a rule, we all try and go whenever possible to watch whoever is playing. That means the whole family has to go and watch the 5 year old play soccer at the Y and cheer for her, whenever possible. I think that keeps everyone from getting discouraged and or jealous of the time that others are getting. It takes a great deal of balance to make a large family work, but from what I can tell--it is more than worth it. When I sit in Mass and look down an entire pew and see all my 5 children and husband sitting there, it almost makes my heart burst with joy.

I have 4 boys. Really not much difference between 1 & 2. To me, 3 is a different world. Every task that you would do by yourself changes. Something as simple as going to the grocery store when your spose is working is an excursion and a challenge. I remember the days of carrying the youngest, next youngest in the cart, and oldest either holding my hand or holding on to the cart. 4 actually got a little easier than 3, but tougher than 2, because the oldest is there to help you out.

Congrats on your new addition.

I forgot about that! After my 3rd was born I remember often thinking "How badly do I really need that milk?" Getting 3 kids ready to go to the grocery and navigating the store was quite a job.

Oddly enough, I really miss that!