Why can't the public school powers that be get this one through their thick skulls?

theguru

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When private or other successful athletic schools want something they fund raise.

The only sugar daddy is Uncle Sam.

You mean those 100's of hours I spent fundraising for my public school was simply a waste of my time? Because Uncle Sam would have given it to me. WOW. Someone needs to tell us these things in the public school because we sure don't know about.

So what your telling me is this kids choose to pay thousands of dollars to go to a high school when they can go to a public high school free of tuition? I dont know cause they arent any private schools around this area but that is what i have heard. But yeah i guess all the players that play for the N. Kentucky teams are from the state of Kentucky arent they! :rolleyes:

Yes, families choose to pay. You know why they choose to pay? Because it's about MORE than football. There are NO free rides. No family receives more than 40% assistance, and the applications are anonymous, and evaluated and awarded by an outside, third party.

You mean those 100's of hours I spent fundraising for my public school was simply a waste of my time? Because Uncle Sam would have given it to me. WOW. Someone needs to tell us these things in the public school because we sure don't know about.

Yeah, didn't you know the taxes paid for the turf at Beechwood and Highlands. All the extras on public school uniforms are tax paid. All the extras that every school has is tax paid.

vs. NCC football field and baseball field which is tax paid and given to use?!

Right?!

Come on Guru, be consistent.

No, you are taking it out of context. Read the post I quoted again. All I am saying if "some rich booster" is a sugar daddy then what is Uncle Sam?

No, you are taking it out of context. Read the post I quoted again. All I am saying if "some rich booster" is a sugar daddy then what is Uncle Sam?

Gotcha. As one person pointed out earlier, there is a limit on how much taxes can be raised in one year without it going to the public on a vote.

I do have a question. With Title IX, how was it balanced in with the girls sports when alumni raised money to put the synthetic surfaces down at Highlands and other schools? Any idea?

Gotcha. As one person pointed out earlier, there is a limit on how much taxes can be raised in one year without it going to the public on a vote.

I do have a question. With Title IX, how was it balanced in with the girls sports when alumni raised money to put the synthetic surfaces down at Highlands and other schools? Any idea?

I'm not a turf expert but I would guess that Band activites and PE classes are held on turf fields which is a benefit to both boys and girls. Also schools that have soccer have the possibility of having both Boys and Girls soccer teams play on them.

Guru;

The only way for this open enrollement to work is for the great USA to stop cumpulsary education. If we stop making kids go to schoo then everything is equal.

Who realy gets hurt in this equation are the inner city schools. What would happen to Newport, and Covington in Nky? Those who can play a sport and have a perent who backs them will send them elswhere. Those kids who can play and their parents do not support them (which occurs too much in inner city schools) will lose any chance at all of getting a scholorship in his/her sport because they will play for a horrible team. This would kill almost any chance of that student making it out of the inner city.

Open enrollment is a disaster for inner city schools.

Those kids who can play and their parents do not support them (which occurs too much in inner city schools) will lose any chance at all of getting a scholorship in his/her sport because they will play for a horrible team. This would kill almost any chance of that student making it out of the inner city.

If a kid can truly play, a coach will find him, horrible team or not.

What is the problem with no boundaries for all schools?

I don't see it as being possible. They are not going to do this in a state full of Dems. You know that. And when you look at the "no boundaries" system, football should be the last issue. Your taking a secondary issue and making it the main issue. This is the problem with this debate, and why both sides have problems.

Guru;

The only way for this open enrollement to work is for the great USA to stop cumpulsary education. If we stop making kids go to schoo then everything is equal.

Who realy gets hurt in this equation are the inner city schools. What would happen to Newport, and Covington in Nky? Those who can play a sport and have a perent who backs them will send them elswhere. Those kids who can play and their parents do not support them (which occurs too much in inner city schools) will lose any chance at all of getting a scholorship in his/her sport because they will play for a horrible team. This would kill almost any chance of that student making it out of the inner city.

Open enrollment is a disaster for inner city schools.

Open enrollment seems to be working in Jefferson County. Inner city kids end up going to school in all corners of the County. Just go to the Fairdale web site, a far southend school, they have an activity bus that picked up athletes in the westend so they could go to summer football practice. If you are not familar with Jefferson County, the west end is inner city, and Fairdale has received plenty of good atheletes from there.

Open enrollment seems to be working in Jefferson County. Inner city kids end up going to school in all corners of the County. Just go to the Fairdale web site, a far southend school, they have an activity bus that picked up athletes in the westend so they could go to summer football practice. If you are not familar with Jefferson County, the west end is inner city, and Fairdale has received plenty of good atheletes from there.

So this is fine, but a kid goes from Fairdale to Trinity, and they need to be banned?? :confused:

I’ve spent years debating this issue, and I’m so disappointed in the mentality of the public schools who are proposing these ideas, that I can’t even speak of it. I’m angry too. You know why I’m angry? Here’s a quote from today’s C-J article:

Sexton characterized Proposal 20 as "a last-ditch effort by the public schools to send a message that we're tired of students that don't reside, that don't belong to you representing" private schools.

WHEN WILL SCHOOLS STOP LOOKING AT STUDENTS AS PROPERTY? You know what will help the public schools more than anything? The end of funding “per student”. Maybe then schools will look at their students and investments into the future of their schools, both academically and athletically. Right now, these schools want the warm bodies that represent dollars. Where’s the effort to make your school something that students WANT to attend? Where’s the effort to build a tradition that spawns a supportive alumni base? You know, the kind of alumni base that comes back to volunteer for you, donate money to your special projects, teach in your schools? Students go to school, they graduate, and they never give a thought about that school afterward. They move on, send their kids to other schools, and so on and so on.

You think that kids will stop coming to the private schools if these proposals pass? THINK AGAIN! I’d say at least 1/3 of the football players on Trinity’s team would be at another school right now, if it weren’t for something MORE than football. It’s amazing to me, or maybe it isn’t, that those who support this proposal can’t see that kids attend schools like Trinity, St. X., DeSales, Mercy, Assumption, Sacred Heart, etc for FAR more than a sport. If the Male, Manual, etc contingent think they’ll have a better shot at getting players from the Catholic feeder system….read Catholic grade schools….I hope they plan to be accused of openly recruiting.

Here’s a little story….I tried to enroll my daughter @ Manual and Male for her freshman year of high school. She attended K-8 @ at a Catholic grade school. We were told, by an administrator, that there were only a few slots open for Catholic grade school kids. I wonder if she had been a standout volleyball player, or a basketball player, if anything would have been different. She attended Assumption, after shadowing both Assumption and Sacred Heart, and we had looked into Seneca as an option. You know why she chose Assumption over Seneca? Because she felt like the Assumption staff CARED that she succeeded. You know what? She was right. They did. They made every penny of the ~$7,000/year I spent worth it.

Here’s another story….My son was born to a Trinity grad. His dad never played football, but my son grew up playing football, and DREAMED of playing for Trinity. It had nothing to do with football, it had to do with REPRESENTING Trinity. His playing days have ended, but that boy still attends the games, and roots on his classmates and represents his former teammates in the stands. When a kid puts on the Trinity uniform, it’s not about the playing time…it’s about TRINITY. Think of how Rudy felt about playing for Notre Dame. I know you won’t believe it, but we have a little storied tradition happening at Trinity. My son is in his Senior year now, and this is his first year since he was in 3rd grade that he hasn’t played football. Trinity is the only place that I can imagine he would be able to be as happy as he is, without football. He LOVES his school.

From a parent’s perspective, the classes my daughter took her sophomore year called Affective Skills, and the accompanying Parent’s classes were invaluable in teaching her life skills she’ll need as a woman….conflict resolution, recognizing abuse, etc. My son was in Dr. Mullen’s Scripture/Social Justice class last year, he came home one day to tell me about visiting a homeless shelter, talking to the resident’s there, being taken to a nearby grocery store with the goal of planning 3 meals for a family of 4 including a baby, on $20. The fact that these schools require the students to serve the community as a part of their graduation requirements is also gratifying. The kids are taught that there are more people in the world than just themselves, and that helping others is the Christian way.

Here’s another quote:

And yet another proposal would prohibit private schools from providing more than 75 percent of a student's tuition and fees in financial aid. Some critics claim private schools entice athletes by offering to cover their entire costs.

This is simply a fallacy. This is against the KHSAA rules, and it’s not happening. If a school thinks it is, they should report that school to the KHSAA. This rule is already in place, and I don’t think another rule is needed.

I’ve considered about 20 different ways to express my outrage. I’ve probably done each of them, in some fragmented way in hundreds of posts here on BGP over the years. I’m done with this issue. This is my last post on it. I choose, at this point, to devote my time and energies to helping the schools I support succeed, not just specifically Trinity and Assumption, but private schools in general.