Caldwell County 14 Mayfield 10

9 total fumbles for Mayfield, 0 for Caldwell. Honestly, I was a bit worried they might be a little flat after an emotional win over the Rockets last week. Take that, the slop and the fumbles and Mayfield was still in position to win it with a minute left. 1st and goal from the 4 with 60 seconds and an untimely personal foul pushed them back to the 19 where the QB promptly fumbled the ball as he was sacked. Caldwell takes a knee and that's that. Time to refocus Mayfield, this game only means you won't go undefeated. The big prize is still out there for the taking and it starts next week.

Mayfield was up 10-0 at the half with Caldwell basically doing nothing, 27 yrds of offense in 1st half. Once they got the botched punt deep in Cardinal territory and pulled within 10-7, it sparked new life in the Tigers and although they still didn't do much offensively, they capitalized again on another Cardinal fumble deep in there territory and went up 14-10. Mayfield had an opportunity late in 4th but fumbled again after they had the ball at the 5 with just over a minute to play. Kudos to the Tigers. They played under the same elements and took better care of the ball, took advantage of Cardinal miscues and wanted it more than Mayfield did. You hate to lose and ruin an undefeated season, but, at least it wasn't a district game that means anything in the bigger scheme of things. Put this one behind you and move on to the next and keep your eye on the prize...

9 total fumbles for Mayfield' date=' 0 for Caldwell. Honestly, I was a bit worried they might be a little flat after an emotional win over the Rockets last week. Take that, the slop and the fumbles and Mayfield was still in position to win it with a minute left. 1st and goal from the 4 with 60 seconds and an untimely personal foul pushed them back to the 19 where the QB promptly fumbled the ball as he was sacked. Caldwell takes a knee and that's that. Time to refocus Mayfield, this game only means you won't go undefeated. The big prize is still out there for the taking and it starts next week.[/quote']

This will make you tougher. The team will work harder now knowing things can happen. This season is over. Now a new one begins. The good thing is, you don't have to win 10 in a row to be champs.:D The only problem is each week gets a little harder. So refocus Mayfield High. Trust me you got a bunch of die hard fans that demand nothing but perfection. I know all to well:lol::D

Yep, I agree with everybody else, congrats to caldwell, seems like they are a curse to Mayfield. They never dropped the ball, amazing on a night like this where the field was underwater. They were able to capitalize on our fumbles and put the score in. Hats off to the Mayfield defense, you guys played great tonight, we just couldn't get our quick-strike offense going in these conditions.

This will only keep Mayfield grounded. They will roll in playoffs.

I agree, Fort Campbell lost a meaningless final game of the season last year to Franklin-Simpson. The Falcons then played with a chip on their shoulder through the playoffs, making every opponent pay for the loss. I expect much of the same from Mayfield. Mayfield was up for the Crittenden game last week and probably thinking about the playoffs next week. Losing a slop-fest in a game that has zero impact on the playoffs is nothing to worry about.

I look for Mayfield to bring the 1A title back to Western Ky.

Yep, I agree with everybody else, congrats to caldwell, seems like they are a curse to Mayfield. They never dropped the ball, amazing on a night like this where the field was underwater. They were able to capitalize on our fumbles and put the score in. Hats off to the Mayfield defense, you guys played great tonight, we just couldn't get our quick-strike offense going in these conditions.

Yup, same for Crittenden. I believe it was in 85, that both Mayfield and Crittenden only lost 1 game each while winning state. Both lost to Caldwell, which coincidently only won those 2 games that year:idunno:

I'm just glad a little air came out of the bubble during the regular season (non district game) and not one of the playoff games. I remember 2 years ago when Mayfield got their "revenge" on Fulton City in the playoffs after losing to them in the regular season. The following week, went to Frankfort... laid an egg. Sometimes it can be hard to get teenagers to look ahead week-in, week-out after spending so much emotion on a victory a week early. Sometimes teams are talented enough to get around a lackluster effort, but deep into the playoffs that becomes a very tough chore against the better opposition.

.............................................Mayfield ...................Caldwell

First Downs ................................7............................. 4

Rushing atts. .............................40 ............................33

Rushing yards ............................125 ...........................79

Passing .................................4-15-0 .......................4-13-0

Passing yards ............................17 ..............................8

Total yards ..............................142............................. 87

Fumbles/lost .............................7/2............................ 0/0

Penalties/yards 4-55 3-40

INDIVIDUAL LEADERS

Rushing: Mayfield – Murrell 27-134, Schultz

4-18, Guhy 8-(-19), Wynstra 1-(-8). Caldwell

– Sigler 618-56, Glover 10-34, Phelps 2-3,