Question for officials:

BuckNut

I would love to hear this one as well.

I remember when I was a Sophomore back in the 70's (Yes, we wore face masks then but played without shoes. :D).

This was prior to PSK (post scrimmage kick) enforcement which was added to the rules about 6 or 7 years ago. I believe if I remember correctly that was the correct enforcement back in the day.

:thumb:

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Offense throws a pass,defense is called for pass interference,offense takes the penalty when does the game clock start.

I'm no official, and I think I know what incident you might be referring to; (:D) but as I understand it the clock resumes depending upon what the previous play was. For example, if the previous play was a run, then the clock would be initiated once the ball was set. If it had been an incomplete pass, then the clock would remain stopped until the ball was put back into play.

I'm no official, and I think I know what incident you might be referring to; (:D) but as I understand it the clock resumes depending upon what the previous play was. For example, if the previous play was a run, then the clock would be initiated once the ball was set. If it had been an incomplete pass, then the clock would remain stopped until the ball was put back into play.

To quote my Granddaughter "you got me"!!!:lol:

you can not throw the ball away in high school football. The QB must appear to be throwing to a receiver, in other words a receiver must be in the area that the ball has been thrown. I know because I was one of those idiots who jumped all over a ref because our QB was outside of the tackles and threw the ball past the line of scrimmage. To the credit of the official I was jumping all over, he calmly said "coach this is high school not college and you can not intentionally get rid of the ball I don't care where your QB is!" I looked at him with a cold hard stare and said "oh, ok" and then ducked behind all of our players and didn't say anything the rest of the game! As a coach I can say that I know all of the rules right up to the point that an official corrects me!:D

you can not throw the ball away in high school football. The QB must appear to be throwing to a receiver, in other words a receiver must be in the area that the ball has been thrown. I know because I was one of those idiots who jumped all over a ref because our QB was outside of the tackles and threw the ball past the line of scrimmage. To the credit of the official I was jumping all over, he calmly said "coach this is high school not college and you can not intentionally get rid of the ball I don't care where your QB is!" I looked at him with a cold hard stare and said "oh, ok" and then ducked behind all of our players and didn't say anything the rest of the game! As a coach I can say that I know all of the rules right up to the point that an official corrects me!:D

:thumb: Thanks for the clarification on that one. I was confused, but you set me straight. I was cracking up while reading that BTW.........to funny.

Here's one...........Offense gets A 80 yard run. 70 yards down field offense flaged for block in the back. (the yardage is marked off from the spot of the flag) 70 yards - 15 for penalty = 55 yards gained.

But at the end of the play the defense is called for a facemask penalty. What Happens? Off setting penaltys and re-do the down? if this is so...the offense lost 55 yards just because the defense had a penalty at the end of the play. The offense would have been better off if the defense was not flagged for a penalty. Is this right?

Here's one I have trouble with and I know it is the rule, I just don't understand it. Why can a player in carring the ball stick their hand in the facemask of a defensive player? If its the other way around it is an instant penalty. I love a good stiff arm but when you see a defensive backs neck streched backward, I wonder about the rule.:idunno:

Here's one I have trouble with and I know it is the rule, I just don't understand it. Why can a player in carring the ball stick their hand in the facemask of a defensive player? If its the other way around it is an instant penalty. I love a good stiff arm but when you see a defensive backs neck streched backward, I wonder about the rule.:idunno:

Its not a penalty to hit an offensive player's facemask. The facemask rule is the same for both sides of the ball.

Its not a penalty to hit an offensive player's facemask. The facemask rule is the same for both sides of the ball.

Written? Yes. But, you seldom see a facemask penalty on a ball carrier, in fact, I don't know if I have ever seen one.