Question for officials:

BuckNut

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How is the rule written? I don't think "on" is a penalty.

Let a defensive player put his hand "on" a runners facemask and see how many times it gets called compared to the other way around. I've seen RB's stick their hand under the bottom of the mask and push up and back without anything being called and this happens at all levels. It's hard to make a tackle with your eyes looking straight up in the sky.

Thanks for the backup Ram!

How is the rule written? I don't think "on" is a penalty.

Rule 9.4.3.h No Player shall grasp an opponants face mask or any edge of the helmet opening.

Touching is not a penalty, grasping is. I have called offense for it, actually a Quarterback.

Let a defensive player put his hand "on" a runners facemask and see how many times it gets called compared to the other way around. I've seen RB's stick their hand under the bottom of the mask and push up and back without anything being called and this happens at all levels. It's hard to make a tackle with your eyes looking straight up in the sky.

Thanks for the backup Ram!

What you list by the offense is not a penalty.

Here's one...........Offense gets A 80 yard run. 70 yards down field offense flaged for block in the back. (the yardage is marked off from the spot of the flag) 70 yards - 15 for penalty = 55 yards gained.

But at the end of the play the defense is called for a facemask penalty. What Happens? Off setting penaltys and re-do the down? if this is so...the offense lost 55 yards just because the defense had a penalty at the end of the play. The offense would have been better off if the defense was not flagged for a penalty. Is this right?

That is correct.

10-2-1...It is a double foul if both teams commit fouls, other than unsportsmanlike or nonplayer, during the same live-ball period in which:

a. There is no change of team possession...the penalties cancel and the down is replayed.

Ok answer this one for me. I was listening to the Franklin County and Woodford County game. It was late in the game and Woodford punted they called a block in the back on Franklin County, and instead of FC getting the ball with the penalty they allowed Woodford to keep the ball marked off the penalty and gave them a first down. Never heard of this before. I could understand if it was holding on Franklin at the line before the kick, but they called block in the back.

The foul occurred either behind the neutral zone (2-16-2h3), or simultaneous with the snap (2-16-2i).

Probably. Maybe?

Well when I was in high school about 20 years ago I was the first man down the field on a punt(I was on the kicking team) that was about to go into the endzone I dove around the 1 yard line and batted it back from the goal line and was penalized 15 yards for Batting the ball is there a such thing?

Well when I was in high school about 20 years ago I was the first man down the field on a punt(I was on the kicking team) that was about to go into the endzone I dove around the 1 yard line and batted it back from the goal line and was penalized 15 yards for Batting the ball is there a such thing?

Either the rules changed, or the officiating has gotten better.