Question for officials:

BuckNut

A coach disagrees with a call and begins to argue with one and in doing so comes out on the field to the Numbers. The official throws a flag that has no effect on the coach who continues to the middle of the field and a second flag is thrown. No signal is ever given and no yardage is ever marked off.

My only conclusion is that is was 2 sideline warnings. Is that possible? I would have thought the second flag would have certainly resulted in a penalty.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A coach disagrees with a call and begins to argue with one and in doing so comes out on the field to the Numbers. The official throws a flag that has no effect on the coach who continues to the middle of the field and a second flag is thrown. No signal is ever given and no yardage is ever marked off.

My only conclusion is that is was 2 sideline warnings. Is that possible? I would have thought the second flag would have certainly resulted in a penalty.

The coach coming that far out on the field is not a sideline warning, whether it is first, second or third offense. That warning only occurs if they are in the restricted area (first two yards off the field) during the down, or have too many coaches in there during the non-restricted period. If the coach did as you described, it is unsportsmanlike conduct, by rule, and should have resulted in a foul immediately. A wise official would then have given the coach a reasonable time to leave the field and go back to the side. If he didn't, then any other official could throw another flag resulting in ejection. Coaches coming onto the field are prohibited by rule all the time, all the game, no ifs and or buts, if it involves objecting to an official's call.

The coach coming that far out on the field is not a sideline warning, whether it is first, second or third offense. That warning only occurs if they are in the restricted area (first two yards off the field) during the down, or have too many coaches in there during the non-restricted period. If the coach did as you described, it is unsportsmanlike conduct, by rule, and should have resulted in a foul immediately. A wise official would then have given the coach a reasonable time to leave the field and go back to the side. If he didn't, then any other official could throw another flag resulting in ejection. Coaches coming onto the field are prohibited by rule all the time, all the game, no ifs and or buts, if it involves objecting to an official's call.

Thank you, That is pretty much what I was thinking. Maybe the officials had a change of heart after throwing the flags.

I have another Question....Is there such a thing where as an official can say that's not my call or can they call anything from where ever? For instance the Line Judge calling pass interference 15 yards down field or the Back Judge calling holding on the center? Was just wondering if they had a certain territory? Thanks

I have another Question....Is there such a thing where as an official can say that's not my call or can they call anything from where ever? For instance the Line Judge calling pass interference 15 yards down field or the Back Judge calling holding on the center? Was just wondering if they had a certain territory? Thanks

We each have certain keys and then certain things we watch for. An example after a long pass for an interception, the white hat will usually look down field with this "what happened" look on his face. That is because he has no idea there was an interception, he was watching the QB the whole time and seeing any hits on him and such.

If my back judge calls a hold that is right in front of my umpire then two things, one the umpire had a much better view and saw no hold and two, who was watching the BJ's keys and areas while he was watchnig the center?

22 of them, 5 of us. Thanks for asking that question. Alot of people don't understand that and expect all 5 officials to see every foul. Helps to be able to explain. :)

Just depends on the Crew Calling the game. Most ref's have an area they stay in for example if I'm Back judge I wouldn’t be able to call and accurate false start because I couldn’t see who jumped off sides. The side judge would have to make that call.

I have a question then happened Friday night in Bourbon Vs. Owen Game. Owen was lined up offsides 3 plays in a row on the far side of the field. You could see it from our sideline. When the side line judge was asked he said it is not my call he is on the other side of the field. Is that correct?

I have a question then happened Friday night in Bourbon Vs. Owen Game. Owen was lined up offsides 3 plays in a row on the far side of the field. You could see it from our sideline. When the side line judge was asked he said it is not my call he is on the other side of the field. Is that correct?

The line of scrimmage is a shared responsibility between the two wings, the Linesman (Chains) and the Line Judge (Press Box Side) Either can enforce neutral zone issues all of the way across. However, there are times that it is difficult to see across the way due to field crowning and things of that nature.

The line of scrimmage is a shared responsibility between the two wings, the Linesman (Chains) and the Line Judge (Press Box Side) Either can enforce neutral zone issues all of the way across. However, there are times that it is difficult to see across the way due to field crowning and things of that nature.

Ok thanks for the clarification.

Ok answer this one for me. I was listening to the Franklin County and Woodford County game. It was late in the game and Woodford punted they called a block in the back on Franklin County, and instead of FC getting the ball with the penalty they allowed Woodford to keep the ball marked off the penalty and gave them a first down. Never heard of this before. I could understand if it was holding on Franklin at the line before the kick, but they called block in the back.

Ok answer this one for me. I was listening to the Franklin County and Woodford County game. It was late in the game and Woodford punted they called a block in the back on Franklin County, and instead of FC getting the ball with the penalty they allowed Woodford to keep the ball marked off the penalty and gave them a first down. Never heard of this before. I could understand if it was holding on Franklin at the line before the kick, but they called block in the back.

That should have been FC ball even if they did hold on the line of scrimmage that seems like a referee mistake there.

I would love to hear this one as well.

I remember when I was a Sophomore back in the 70's (Yes, we wore face masks then but played without shoes. :D).

Our opponent punted and we were called for a clip. The ref said the clip occurred while the ball was in the air and therefore we had not established possession. They marked it off and gave them a first down. They proceeded to keep the drive alive, score; and won the game 7-6.

I would love to hear this one as well.

I remember when I was a Sophomore back in the 70's (Yes, we wore face masks then but played without shoes. :D).

Our opponent punted and we were called for a clip. The ref said the clip occurred while the ball was in the air and therefore we had not established possession. They marked it off and gave them a first down. They proceeded to keep the drive alive, score; and won the game 7-6.

This was prior to PSK (post scrimmage kick) enforcement which was added to the rules about 6 or 7 years ago. I believe if I remember correctly that was the correct enforcement back in the day.