Moving Away To College

saint4

No matter how drunk you got the night before, no matter how tired you are, no matter how much you hate the class, go every time.

It will suck at the time, but you will ingratiate yourself to your professors. If you're there all the time, you are much more likely to receive the benefit of the doubt. And that's what it's all about.

I usually followed that method when I was in college, but there were a few times where I absolutely could not go. :lol:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still trying to figure out if Maysville to Highland Heights qualifies as "moving away to college".:D I suppose so, even in this day and age where communication with just about anyone is a couple of thumbs away. I may be dating myself, but the only piece of electronics I took to school in the fall of 1973 was a Texas Instruments calculator that (gasp) had a square root function. And it only cost $79.95!

You've received some good advice so far, here's a little more.

Have fun, but overdo it. Everything in moderation. Too many folks go crazy the first time they're away from home, and too many of them come back home to stay way too soon.

Early classes are not that big a deal. Nothing wrong with a bit of preparation for life in the big bad world.

I know you're a sports fan; take advantage of the (probably) free sporting events. My (now, not then) wife and I went to everything - even track, swimming, etc. Rarely missed a baseball, basketball or football game. Excluding soccer and tennis - there is a limit.

Become part of a campus organization or club. There should be lots of choices.

Go Greek if you're inclined, but don't feel pressured if you don't think it's for you.

Cultivate many friendships, with students and instructors alike. The connections you make in college could serve you very well after campus life.

Don't feel like you have to run home every couple of days (easy to say when you went to school 500 miles from home as I did). A word of advice - that first trip back home as a college student - after you've set up in your college dorm - will feel a little strange.

First and foremost, go to class and soak everything in. Ultimately, that's why you are there. Have a great first semester!

The first class I went to in college, the professor put everything into perspective. It was an advanced chemistry class for freshman.

He asked, "How many of you are academically above average?". Everyone in the room raised their hand. He then replied, "Half of you are wrong".

If you don't already know what Natty, The Beast, and The Stones are...you need to learn ASAP. VOB will practically mix with anything and while still nasty...it can be had for cheap. If you cook a pizza in the oven under no circumstances should you throw away the box...it's not trash...it's a paper plate. With enough hot sauce anything can be edible...including Ramen.

In all seriousness, NEVER skip class and make sure you take it all in.

No matter how drunk you got the night before, no matter how tired you are, no matter how much you hate the class, go every time.

It will suck at the time, but you will ingratiate yourself to your professors. If you're there all the time, you are much more likely to receive the benefit of the doubt. And that's what it's all about.

And in 4 years, come back and tell us all what ingratiate means...

Call your mom, call your mom, call your mom, did I say it enough times, call your mom just to let her know you are ok. I haven't heard from my sons in a couple of days, I'm really missing them.

Have fun, study hard, party some and keep your self open to everything college has to offer.

Ditto ditto ditto...and dont forget to call your mom.