Best Coach in NKY

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beechwood has talent every year. If you look at he school, they can not win football titles year in and year out with out it. It just so happens that in the last 10 years or so lots of those guys are now playing multiple sports, like baseball. I know this started happening in baseball when Noel Rash the current head football coach was the head baseball coach. The talent pool might not be as large but talent is talent.

It would have been really nice if they would have tried to steal. The catcher that you are so uniformed about has a arm that they would have had trouble stealing on. That kid has played at that position plenty in the past and done it quite well. I was told that the reason he was even at that position that night was for the exact opposite of what you are saying.....HE COULD FLAT OUT THROW EM DOWN! Coach Myerhoff, as all can see, knew exactly what he was doing. Great job to #11 for a remarkable performance and great job to #23 for his sacrifice to the team as well.

Good luck Tigers----WIN STATE

It would have been really nice if they would have tried to steal. The catcher that you are so uniformed about has a arm that they would have had trouble stealing on. That kid has played at that position plenty in the past and done it quite well. I was told that the reason he was even at that position that night was for the exact opposite of what you are saying.....HE COULD FLAT OUT THROW EM DOWN! Coach Myerhoff, as all can see, knew exactly what he was doing. Great job to #11 for a remarkable performance and great job to #23 for his sacrifice to the team as well.

Good luck Tigers----WIN STATE

No need to take offense. He is a good ball player. But having just pitched the night before, coupled with the throws i saw him making in warmups throughout, there was no need for CCH to bunt. They could have simply stole Nutini over.

The Coach From Dayton don't know his name but doing a good job from what little talent he has. And I like the way he dont take backtalk from some of these kids. No matter if the kid was good player or not .He would sit them down right next to him. From 1 win to about 6 wins this year. He gets my vote

I like Walt Terrel. Very personable, knowledgeable, and respectful. Player growth and development are first and foremost with him and his staff (such a strange thing to see today). Krumps is my second with Bob in a very tight third.

The Coach From Dayton don't know his name but doing a good job from what little talent he has. And I like the way he dont take backtalk from some of these kids. No matter if the kid was good player or not .He would sit them down right next to him. From 1 win to about 6 wins this year. He gets my vote

Hasn't proven enough to warrant the best coach in NKY, or to be in the discussion IMO.

I like Walt Terrel. Very personable, knowledgeable, and respectful. Player growth and development are first and foremost with him and his staff (such a strange thing to see today). Krumps is my second with Bob in a very tight third.

It seems like no coach get his team ready to play in the postseason quite like Walt seems to do every year. His team walks through the season with an average (at best, at times) record, then they turn it on and surprise with a win here and there in the postseason. Excellent coach.

• 1 month later...

This year Meyerhoff beat Krumps at his own game. Not only at his own game but with less pitching as well. I personally thought strategically Meyerhoff couldn't have played it any better where as I don't understand why Krumps doesn't save Isler to the finals. It doesn't mean anything if you can't convert in the finals, your just another runner up and in this case 3 straight years.

But then again the whole pitching senario is debatable.

Also, on Krumps...This year's class was suppose to go to STATE no doubt in anyones minds. But with this unbelievable class they only showed for 3 straight 9th region runner ups? Now I know that this class was loaded this year but what happened?

This is why a "One and Out" style tournament in baseball is not necessarily the best format for proving a true champion. That's why we see the Little League World Series, the College Baseball World Series and the MLB World Series. Everybody's got their off-days...that's what happened.

Coaches sometimes are judged by their most recent season, or maybe the decisions made in the most recent big victory or loss. Coach M had the a huge victory, and has enjoyed a very successful career. BW pulled off an upset that no one could have imagined. However, Coach Krumps has had an incredible Hall of Fame career; use whatever barometer you choose. He has over 750 career victories; countless District, several Regional championships, and one state championship. Several dozen kids have gone on to play college or professional ball. One of the most telling benchmarks of success is the number of local head coaches that played and/or coached under him. This is a group that has also enjoyed their own success; Roesel (Ryle), Bieger (Cooper), Arlo (Conner) and Wilhoite (sp?, formerly at Boone). Much like Parcell's or Pitino's coaching family-tree, that is a true testament as to how well respected he is by other school principals, AD's and coaches. In many ways, he's in a no-win situation, as is evident by such threads on BGP; if he wins it's because he gets the talent, if he loses it's because of him. This year as an example; he enjoyed

one of the most successful regular seasons ever in the Ninth Region with

30 something victories, yet a coach that had roughly a .500 winning percentage was voted Coach of the Year. Coach Krumps has some old-school ways that will always be questioned, but IMHO he is the best coach in NKY.

Coaches sometimes are judged by their most recent season, or maybe the decisions made in the most recent big victory or loss. Coach M had the a huge victory, and has enjoyed a very successful career. BW pulled off an upset that no one could have imagined. However, Coach Krumps has had an incredible Hall of Fame career; use whatever barometer you choose. He has over 750 career victories; countless District, several Regional championships, and one state championship. Several dozen kids have gone on to play college or professional ball. One of the most telling benchmarks of success is the number of local head coaches that played and/or coached under him. This is a group that has also enjoyed their own success; Roesel (Ryle), Bieger (Cooper), Arlo (Conner) and Wilhoite (sp?, formerly at Boone). Much like Parcell's or Pitino's coaching family-tree, that is a true testament as to how well respected he is by other school principals, AD's and coaches. In many ways, he's in a no-win situation, as is evident by such threads on BGP; if he wins it's because he gets the talent, if he loses it's because of him. This year as an example; he enjoyed

one of the most successful regular seasons ever in the Ninth Region with

30 something victories, yet a coach that had roughly a .500 winning percentage was voted Coach of the Year. Coach Krumps has some old-school ways that will always be questioned, but IMHO he is the best coach in NKY.

Couldn't agree more.:thumb:

Baseball is life, you seem to be reinforcing my point. Krumps wins because he

gets the talent, Meyerhoff wins because he's a great coach?! They both get

talent, they both are very successful. While Krumps may get more talent,

he's also enjoyed more success. It seems to be a circular argument.

Meyerhoff did have three kids that will be playing college ball (Smith, Snyder,

Hyde), so it's not like he won with smoke and mirrors. I respect

your opinion, and also respect the job that Coach M has done at BW, I

just give Krumps the nod. As I said, Coach Krumps' "old school" tactics seem to unnerve the most ardent CCH fan at times; but he has cranked out 20 W's for 23 straight years, even when he doesn't have the most talented teams.

banana slug, you appear to be reinforcing my opinion. Myerhoff does more with less. He takes football players and makes them baseball players.

2008-2009 KHSAA enrollment shows Covington Catholic to have 513 boys to 196 boys at Beechwood. The girls enrolled at Beechwood amount to 130 bringing total enrollment up to 326. Moreover, Beechwood is a public system meaning they rely more on in-district athletes. Krumps is a good coach, no doubt. But considering all the facts, Myerhoff is the best coach, hands down, IMO. :cool:

Baseball is life, you seem to be reinforcing my point. Krumps wins because he

gets the talent, Meyerhoff wins because he's a great coach?! They both get

talent, they both are very successful. While Krumps may get more talent,

he's also enjoyed more success. It seems to be a circular argument.

Meyerhoff did have three kids that will be playing college ball (Smith, Snyder,

Hyde), so it's not like he won with smoke and mirrors. I respect

your opinion, and also respect the job that Coach M has done at BW, I

just give Krumps the nod. As I said, Coach Krumps' "old school" tactics seem to unnerve the most ardent CCH fan at times; but he has cranked out 20 W's for 23 straight years, even when he doesn't have the most talented teams.

For all the people saying how great Myerhoff is, I hear twice more who either played for him or had a child who played for him who think he is one of the worst coaches to play for. I have not heard near as many who disliked Krumpelbeck. No dog in this fight, but just my two cents..

banana slug, you appear to be reinforcing my opinion. Myerhoff does more with less. He takes football players and makes them baseball players.

2008-2009 KHSAA enrollment shows Covington Catholic to have 513 boys to 196 boys at Beechwood. The girls enrolled at Beechwood amount to 130 bringing total enrollment up to 326. Moreover, Beechwood is a public system meaning they rely more on in-district athletes. Krumps is a good coach, no doubt. But considering all the facts, Myerhoff is the best coach, hands down, IMO. :cool:

That could be debatable.:D