Best Coach in NKY

Well, my son played 2 years for him while he was coaching the Lions and he'll tell you that he learned more baseball from him than any other coach he played for. For that matter, I'll tell you that. All Myerhoff wants is kids who want to be there and are willing to get dirty, just not go through the motions. He's direct and to the point. I don't have a problem with that.

For all the people saying how great Myerhoff is, I hear twice more who either played for him or had a child who played for him who think he is one of the worst coaches to play for. I have not heard near as many who disliked Krumpelbeck. No dog in this fight, but just my two cents..

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all the people saying how great Myerhoff is, I hear twice more who either played for him or had a child who played for him who think he is one of the worst coaches to play for. I have not heard near as many who disliked Krumpelbeck. No dog in this fight, but just my two cents..

Sounds like you are talking to the wrong people.:D

Seriously though, Meyerhoff is NOT warm and fuzzy. And if your kid isn't playing as much as you like ... well, I haven't seen any "that a boy" stickers on the Beechwood gear. Now that I think about it, maybe the Reds could use a dose of Coach M.

That could be debatable.:D

you appear to be reinforcing my opinion. Myerhoff does more with less. He takes football players and makes them baseball players.

2008-2009 KHSAA enrollment shows Covington Catholic to have 513 boys to 196 boys at Beechwood. The girls enrolled at Beechwood amount to 130 bringing total enrollment up to 326. Moreover, Beechwood is a public system meaning they rely more on in-district athletes. Krumps is a good coach, no doubt. But considering all the facts, Myerhoff is the best coach, hands down, IMO.

LOL.....There's always a few who go out of district, but you can say that about the majority of schools in Northern Kentucky, public or private. But for a school with 196 boys in grades 9-12, it's safe to say they don't make a living off out-of-district kids. The ones they have are there for football anyway, so who are we kidding.

Look, my kid didn't go there. I wish he had. But I wasn't going to sell my home and move all for the sake of finding a preferential place to play high school baseball. I just feel like the numbers speak for themselves.

Edited by Texas Leaguer
Rule 8

Coach M I can say is the best teacher of baseball I have ever been around. Have not bee around Coach K at all. However Coach M spends his offseason coaching summer league players but also works with younger players in the Bluegrass organization. One thing I think most people do not realize is that he works with 11 - 18 year old kids in the winter and I can tell you I have seen what he can do with an 11 year old pitcher this past season. It is phenominal what he teaches them.

:thumb: Absolutely correct. Coach Myerhoff lives and breathes baseball 365 days per year. He teaches the very same players that are going to due battle against him during the high school season. Pitchers, catchers, 1st basemen, infielders, outfielders.....he's got drills for them all.

Coach M I can say is the best teacher of baseball I have ever been around. Have not bee around Coach K at all. However Coach M spends his offseason coaching summer league players but also works with younger players in the Bluegrass organization. One thing I think most people do not realize is that he works with 11 - 18 year old kids in the winter and I can tell you I have seen what he can do with an 11 year old pitcher this past season. It is phenominal what he teaches them.

texas, who would you consider the best players to play at BW in the last

10 years or so? Curley and Elliott would be at the top of my list. I believe they are from Campbell and Boone Counties. I believe Three of their top four players on next years' team are non-district, including another Boone

kid that played summer ball for M prior to going to BW. I agree, all schools

have them, but Coach M does not rely on molding young Ft. Mitchell football players into baseball players as stated earlier. Regarding your earlier post: wouldn't any tie breaker in sports be head-to-head competition? CCH has won about 9 of the last 12 district championships. I believe they've won 4 or 5 Regionals in that time frame, and one state championship. This is a question and not a facetious comment, how has BW fared in the All A State Tournament? You said that Coach M has done more with less. Not to parse your words, but in fact he has done less with less. Factually speaking, Krumps has done more. Krumps has put about 44 players into college or pros, not all of them came to him with that much talent, like Patrick Krumme this year. Another question, how has Coach M done in that regard?

texas, who would you consider the best players to play at BW in the last

10 years or so? Curley and Elliott would be at the top of my list. I believe they are from Campbell and Boone Counties. I believe Three of their top four players on next years' team are non-district, including another Boone

kid that played summer ball for M prior to going to BW. I agree, all schools

have them, but Coach M does not rely on molding young Ft. Mitchell football players into baseball players as stated earlier. Regarding your earlier post: wouldn't any tie breaker in sports be head-to-head competition? CCH has won about 9 of the last 12 district championships. I believe they've won 4 or 5 Regionals in that time frame, and one state championship. This is a question and not a facetious comment, how has BW fared in the All A State Tournament? You said that Coach M has done more with less. Not to parse your words, but in fact he has done less with less. Factually speaking, Krumps has done more. Krumps has put about 44 players into college or pros, not all of them came to him with that much talent, like Patrick Krumme this year. Another question, how has Coach M done in that regard?

I think you may be wrong about a Boone Co. kid who played for M in the summer then went to BW. I cannot think of him.

What year in the last 12 has CCH won state? They have not won region in the last 4 years ( 3 of which having the most talent,IMO. Ryle was close in talent, but not NCC or BW the last 2). BW has won twice in the last 4 if I am not mistaken, once losing in the championship.

In the ALL A the last 4 years: BW has won it once and lost in the championship once. I am not sure what they did 3 years ago.

Maybe a good way to word it would be Coach M has done a lot with less talent.

BTW, I am curious, who are some of the CCH grads that are in the pros?

Played for both, coached against both. They are both out of the same mold when it comes to teaching baseball fundamentals, pitching, hard work, hustle, demanding respect for the team and the game, and winning. The obvious difference is personality - Coach M is not afraid to get fired up and Krumps just grunts his orders. Krumps' time and work on the field is second to none, Coach M's time and dedication to scouting/studying the opponent is also second to none. You either love them or hate them, but both have my respect. :notworthy: You do have to respect their success, but I give Krumps the slight edge especially if you look the coaching tree that he has built - Wilhoit, Roesel, Beiger, Meier, Ecks (before he came back), etc. (did I miss any Old Guy) - all went on to build winning programs at schools in NKY.

Played for both, coached against both. They are both out of the same mold when it comes to teaching baseball fundamentals, pitching, hard work, hustle, demanding respect for the team and the game, and winning. The obvious difference is personality - Coach M is not afraid to get fired up and Krumps just grunts his orders. Krumps' time and work on the field is second to none, Coach M's time and dedication to scouting/studying the opponent is also second to none. You either love them or hate them, but both have my respect. :notworthy: You do have to respect their success, but I give Krumps the slight edge especially if you look the coaching tree that he has built - Wilhoit, Roesel, Beiger, Meier, Ecks (before he came back), etc. (did I miss any Old Guy) - all went on to build winning programs at schools in NKY.

Arlo...at Conner.

I

What year in the last 12 has CCH won state? They have not won region in the last 4 years ( 3 of which having the most talent,IMO. Ryle was close in talent, but not NCC or BW the last 2).

CCH won state in 2002.

They won region in 2005 on the walk-off homer by Quast off of Curley.

I think the fact that there is even a discussion about this says a lot about Meyerhoff. Beechwood's baseball success under Meyerhoff as a mid size 1A school is pretty amazing. There is no doubt that Meyerhoff is working with less just based on the big difference in number of students you are drawing from as was post earlier. And the out of district comments are very ironic, and amusing, when comparing private school CCH against small public school Beechwood. Let there be no doubt that many recognize the all around quality of Beechwood so there are more out of district students at Beechwood than most public high schools. I would guess there are still not nearly as many "out of district" students at Beechwood as there are at CCH.

I think both are obviously great coaches and have the track records to back it up. It is an argument that can't be won by either side.

I think the fact that there is even a discussion about this says a lot about Meyerhoff. Beechwood's baseball success under Meyerhoff as a mid size 1A school is pretty amazing. There is no doubt that Meyerhoff is working with less just based on the big difference in number of students you are drawing from as was post earlier. And the out of district comments are very ironic, and amusing, when comparing private school CCH against small public school Beechwood. Let there be no doubt that many recognize the all around quality of Beechwood so there are more out of district students at Beechwood than most public high schools. I would guess there are still not nearly as many "out of district" students at Beechwood as there are at CCH.

I think both are obviously great coaches and have the track records to back it up. It is an argument that can't be won by either side.

Theoldguy up on his soapbox

Clearly Beechwood passes themselves off as the small public grade/high school from tiny Ft. Mitchell, Kentucky and to the causal observer of HS sports in Kentucky that is what they are but in reality they are no different than St. X, Trinity, CovCath, and NDA. The big difference between Beechwood and the others mentioned, is we (taxpayers) have to support them with our tax dollars and the students who attend Beechwood from out of District get to bring their money (state) with them (in most cases)!

I have no problem with what Beechwood does,but it just bugs the heck out of me when I read about how all the Catholic Schools are evil (btw, it isn't done by any of the above mentioned schools) and it isn't fair, but yet no one complains about schools like Beechwood doing the same very thing but having the taxpayers footing the bill.

Theoldguy getting down off of his soapbox

Edited by Ram
Rule 4

Theoldguy up on his soapbox

Clearly Beechwood passes themselves off as the small public grade/high school from tiny Ft. Mitchell, Kentucky and to the causal observer of HS sports in Kentucky that is what they are but in reality they are no different than St. X, Trinity, CovCath, and NDA. The big difference between Beechwood and the others mentioned, is we (taxpayers) have to support them with our tax dollars and the students who attend Beechwood from out of District get to bring their money (state) with them (in most cases)!

I have no problem with what Beechwood does, but it just bugs the heck out of me when I read about how all the Catholic Schools are evil (btw, it isn't done by any of the above mentioned schools) and it isn't fair, but yet no one complains about schools like Beechwood doing the same very thing but having the taxpayers footing the bill.

Theoldguy getting down off of his soapbox

Soapbox reply from VOR - The vast majority of students at Beechwood are typical public school kids, most of whom would never be able to attend a private school. As to those 5 or so new out of district students in each freshman class that pay tuition, they see something they like at Beechwood and are willing to pay for it. There are other students some may look at and call out of district who actually have paid tuition at Beechwood since early elementary years. Just because someone lives out of district doesn't mean they just showed up freshman year to play a sport.

So why are these tuition students paying to go to a public school? Is it facilities? Don't make me laugh, because Beechwood's facilities are medicre at best (outside the turf field paid for by donor generosity). The football locker and weight room would shock anyone who hasn't seen it. The elementary school is a Class 5 distressed facility that finally is getting updated now. The baseball field finally got renovated through private donor contributions this year. Prior to that, Beechwood's baseball field was barely usable as a varsity field. In fact, a couple of years ago Beechwood didn't even use their own home field and played home games at Ft. Mitchell Park.

Bottom line, Beechwood is one of the top 500 academic high schools in the United States. The staff and curriculum at Beechwood is incredible. For example, you want high school to include 4 years of Latin? Attend Beechwood. The small school environment creates a great atmosphere and community between everyone affiliated with the school. Yes, Beechwood gets out of district students. I am surprised there aren't more trying to get in. Since this is a baseball related thread, I will end my soapbox statement with this - Build it, and they will come.

Edited by Ram
Rule 14

Highlands and Beechwood are very similar in the same ways. I think it is funny how people always make a big deal out of the tuition students that go to these schools. Ft. Thomas schools have an enrollment of about 2,500 K-12 and of these 2,500 there are about 100 tuition students..Cracks me up...:lol: