Best Coach in NKY

Soapbox reply from VOR - The vast majority of students at Beechwood are typical public school kids, most of whom would never be able to attend a private school. As to those 5 or so new out of district students in each freshman class that pay tuition, they see something they like at Beechwood and are willing to pay for it. There are other students some may look at and call out of district who actually have paid tuition at Beechwood since early elementary years. Just because someone lives out of district doesn't mean they just showed up freshman year to play a sport.

So why are these tuition students paying to go to a public school? Is it facilities? Don't make me laugh, because Beechwood's facilities are medicre at best (outside the turf field paid for by donor generosity). The football locker and weight room would shock anyone who hasn't seen it. The elementary school is a Class 5 distressed facility that finally is getting updated now. The baseball field finally got renovated through private donor contributions this year. Prior to that, Beechwood's baseball field was barely usable as a varsity field. In fact, a couple of years ago Beechwood didn't even use their own home field and played home games at Ft. Mitchell Park.

Bottom line, Beechwood is one of the top 500 academic high schools in the United States. The staff and curriculum at Beechwood is incredible. For example, you want high school to include 4 years of Latin? Attend Beechwood. The small school environment creates a great atmosphere and community between everyone affiliated with the school. Yes, Beechwood gets out of district students. I am surprised there aren't more trying to get in. Since this is a baseball related thread, I will end my soapbox statement with this - Build it, and they will come.

And that is why Beechwood is just like St. X, Trinity, CovCath and NDA. The students parents at the above Catholic School are willing to pay (and much more) for their children to attend those schools to get a great education. BTW how do you think CovCath got their new school, baseball and football fields, via a government grant? CovCath/NDA both are Blue ribbon School that offer a outstanding HS education.

See even more reasons that the Catholic schools and Beechwood are alike!

You make it sound like I am against Beechwood for what they are doing but you are far off base, as I am not all, I just wish some would realize that that there is no difference.

BTW more than you think parents of Catholic school kids have to make huge sacrifices for their children to attend a Catholic school.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Highlands and Beechwood are very similar in the same ways. I think it is funny how people always make a big deal out of the tuition students that go to these schools. Ft. Thomas schools have an enrollment of about 2,500 K-12 and of these 2,500 there are about 100 tuition students..Cracks me up...:lol:

:thumb:Exactly. Going back to theoldguy's post, "the big difference" is that there is an inherent advantage for a school with 500 tuition students versus a school with 450 public students and 50 tuition students. Highlands and Beechwood ARE very different from CCH, NewCath, Trinity, St. X because the vast majority of students are not paying tuition.

But we stray off topic here. If anyone wants to continue this discussion, better to create a new thread.

Old Guy, there is nothing wrong with parents choosing to pay tuition and send their children to a private school or public, for that matter, for reasons of education, faith, sports or whatever. But there is no guarantee of success in any of these areas by school choice, alone. My son is a graduate of Kenton County public schools and just finished his first year at UK with a 3.87 GPA. It all comes down to parenting, regardless of where you attend school. I let my kids know early on that anything less than their best efforts academically would result in no sports competition and severely curtailed extra-curricular activities, no exceptions. I have never had to exercise it in a major way, but have addressed it for minor infractions just to prove a point.

We are fortunate in NKY that we have, for the most part, good schools. Most, if not all, high schools here offer higher level, Honors and AP courses that benefit and prepare students for college and/or life beyond HS. Given this, we certainly don't have the problems here that a lot of inner-city or extreme rural situations may face. But I am a proponent that you can get a good education most anywhere as long as you want it. But, it all goes back to the parents.

And that is why Beechwood is just like St. X, Trinity, CovCath and NDA. The students parents at the above Catholic School are willing to pay (and much more) for their children to attend those schools to get a great education. BTW how do you think CovCath got their new school, baseball and football fields, via a government grant? CovCath/NDA both are Blue ribbon School that offer a outstanding HS education.

See even more reasons that the Catholic schools and Beechwood are alike!

You make it sound like I am against Beechwood for what they are doing but you are far off base, as I am not all, I just wish some would realize that that there is no difference.

BTW more than you think parents of Catholic school kids have to make huge sacrifices for their children to attend a Catholic school.

Old Guy, there is nothing wrong with parents choosing to pay tuition and send their children to a private school or public, for that matter, for reasons of education, faith, sports or whatever. But there is no guarantee of success in any of these areas by school choice, alone. My son is a graduate of Kenton County public schools and just finished his first year at UK with a 3.87 GPA. It all comes down to parenting, regardless of where you attend school. I let my kids know early on that anything less than their best efforts academically would result in no sports competition and severely curtailed extra-curricular activities, no exceptions. I have never had to exercise it in a major way, but have addressed it for minor infractions just to prove a point.

We are fortunate in NKY that we have, for the most part, good schools. Most, if not all, high schools here offer higher level, Honors and AP courses that benefit and prepare students for college and/or life beyond HS. Given this, we certainly don't have the problems here that a lot of inner-city or extreme rural situations may face. But I am a proponent that you can get a good education most anywhere as long as you want it. But, it all goes back to the parents.

Totally agree with your statements and your comment about going back to the parents, it hits the nail directly on the head. I just wish many on this site would realized this.

Congrats to your Son and a tip of my hat to you and your wife for a job well done.

Read my post about a Dixie Grad who was my "That is one brave person"!

Steven Dale Tanner

Edited by Theoldguy

OK, not going to get long winded again. Like you said, oldguy, I am not knocking any school and I don't think you are either. We both agree that these schools are good schools. I received an excellent Catholic school education myself. But the fact that only 5% of the students at Beechwood pay tuition and 100% (except those that get scholarships) pay tuition at CCH et al makes them very different in who makes up their student base. That is a fact that can not be denied. Please don't begrudge Beechwood their 5% who pay tuition.

Old Guy, you and i know each other. We used to see each other and talk baseball at the Colonels games, prior to this past year. We ate BBQ together at Memphis a couple of years ago (your duaghter, my son and us). Hope your daughter is doing fine. Does she still attend school at Murray?

Edited by Texas Leaguer
clarification

Maybe a good way to word it would be Coach M has done a lot with less talent.

BTW, I am curious, who are some of the CCH grads that are in the pros?

Well said Coaching, my point exactly.

I believe Rob Harmon is still in the minors. He pitched for

the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers last year (Seattle organization). I don't know where he is this year.