1 year removed from high school rule

SSC

Not sure if this should go in this forum or pro sports:

The rule that the NBA put in a few years back has been great for both College Basketball and the NBA. So on the surface it could be looked at as a success. The NBA had to adopt something like this b/c every year high school players were drafted and there was really no way of knowing what they were getting. This has helped the power conferences and the elite teams in the NCAA out tremendously. Most of the playes that would have gone on to the NBA directly go to one of those schools.

The problem becomes what does it do to the college game? To make a kid like Derek Rose, Cousins, or John Wall wait a year is dumb. They are obviously not going to take school seriously so why make them? The bigger problem is that they should cheat to get eligible. What is the worst that can happen if they get caught after they played a year? Would you rather be Derek Rose or Brandon Jennings right now? For the "handlers" around the player it's even more appealing to cheat. Why not find someone that helps your guy get eligible? Who cares if he gets caught after the fact?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's stupid for young basketball players to HAVE to go to school for a year. If they are really good enough to go straight out of high school, it is a waste of the players time, an opportunity to hurt themselves BEFORE they ever get paid, and it also puts the school they attend at risk. JMO.

Its pretty disturbing to me that we assume that all these elite athletes have to cheat to become eligible for college. All of these kids aren't in a situation where they have to resort to something like this! We see a few articles and we all assume that all these kids are academically inadequate.

I like the rule for one. It allows for another year of maturation for these kids. From your post you are proposing its the NBA's fault these kids are having to cheat to get into college. The blame shouldn't be placed on anyone but the individual who committed the act. The rule was intended to protect the young athlete's and the NBA franchises. In my opinion the rule should stay. It also shows the franchises these players go to what kind of character they have. Will they put in the work off the court and in the classroom to get themselves ready for the profession they want to pursue. Why should these kids be held to a lower standard than say a kid who wants to be a stock-broker. If you don't put in the time and effort you don't get what you want in life! The same should apply to these athletes.

Its pretty disturbing to me that we assume that all these elite athletes have to cheat to become eligible for college. All of these kids aren't in a situation where they have to resort to something like this! We see a few articles and we all assume that all these kids are academically inadequate.

I like the rule for one. It allows for another year of maturation for these kids. From your post you are proposing its the NBA's fault these kids are having to cheat to get into college. The blame shouldn't be placed on anyone but the individual who committed the act. The rule was intended to protect the young athlete's and the NBA franchises. In my opinion the rule should stay. It also shows the franchises these players go to what kind of character they have. Will they put in the work off the court and in the classroom to get themselves ready for the profession they want to pursue. Why should these kids be held to a lower standard than say a kid who wants to be a stock-broker. If you don't put in the time and effort you don't get what you want in life! The same should apply to these athletes.

The rule was put in place to weed out the Sebastian Telfairs and Kwame Browns of the world and to improve the overall quality of the NBA game. Do not think for a second the NBA (which pushed for the rule) is worried about the well being of these kids. College hoops has become the AAU circuit for the NBA. It makes a mockery of college athletics when kids that have no desire to do anything but play in the NBA are forced to play in college.

^ And it is working wonders. The NBA game is already so much better than what it has been, and so is the college game, thus you get the best of both worlds. The NBA draft was getting to the point in which you had so many teams drafting guys on potential. With that it would take at least three years or longer for them to actually make an impact. Now with the guys coming in one year removed, they can step in, start, and make an instant impact. IMO its great for the NBA, also helps the college game out by giving it stud players, I'm all for it. (and I always thought it should have been two years instead of one.)

I would have to agree with Bobby Knight on this one. Either make them go to school for two years or go straight to the league. His point is the kid only has to pass one semester of college to play and that is not being a student athlete.

I would have to agree with Bobby Knight on this one. Either make them go to school for two years or go straight to the league. His point is the kid only has to pass one semester of college to play and that is not being a student athlete.

:thumb:

:thumb:

You beat me to it. I was thinking the same thing. The NFL has a 3 year rule and it has worked out pretty good for college and pro football. Same could be said for the NBA and college.

I think it's stupid for young basketball players to HAVE to go to school for a year. If they are really good enough to go straight out of high school, it is a waste of the players time, an opportunity to hurt themselves BEFORE they ever get paid, and it also puts the school they attend at risk. JMO.

This remains the #1 reason I do not like this rule. And I maintain that there will be some terrible day that a player who would have otherwise been a lottery pick in the NBA will get injured in that one year and have his career ruined. Think if John Wall tears his ACL or something worse and drops from a #1 or #2 pick in this year's draft if allowed to enter to a second rounder.

These are my sentiments as well. I think Bobby Knight is right on with this one.

This remains the #1 reason I do not like this rule. And I maintain that there will be some terrible day that a player who would have otherwise been a lottery pick in the NBA will get injured in that one year and have his career ruined. Think if John Wall tears his ACL or something worse and drops from a #1 or #2 pick in this year's draft if allowed to enter to a second rounder.

That's why the elite players take out insurance policies. May not be what they would've made, but a couple million isn't too bad.

I would like the Bobby Knight rule.

I also agree with multiple years if a player decides to go to school. I also agree that if a player is ready, then they should be able to go to the NBA. Someone above mentioned going to school to be a stockbroker. If you had all the tools to be successfull at a job then there may be a company willing to give you a shot. Honestly, what would college have done for Lebron James? I also think that if an NBA team does not take a chance on you and you are forced to go to school to prove yourself, then you should be at school and be required to stay for multiple years. I do not like the one and done guys.