1 year removed from high school rule

SSC

^ And it is working wonders. The NBA game is already so much better than what it has been, and so is the college game, thus you get the best of both worlds. The NBA draft was getting to the point in which you had so many teams drafting guys on potential. With that it would take at least three years or longer for them to actually make an impact. Now with the guys coming in one year removed, they can step in, start, and make an instant impact. IMO its great for the NBA, also helps the college game out by giving it stud players, I'm all for it. (and I always thought it should have been two years instead of one.)

I agree with this assessment.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very good read here although he doesn't really cover anything to make the situation better. I see two things that can help improve the situation, and they are both directly tied to fixing the situation as much as possible right now.

1. Go towards the MLB model. Give kids the choice and if they don't go pro make them stay in college at least 2 years. Please stop comparing it to the NFL rule. They have to have that rule because kids under 3 years removed from high school would literally have their lives in danger playing in the NFL.

2. Figure out a way to make the NBDL relevant. If you want to make this work, there has to be a way pay the not quite ready kids enough to not just jump to Europe. I spent some time with a guy handling the recruitment of 5 star kid about 6 weeks back that warned how real the chance a lot of the momentum is shifting to kids going to Europe. I could tell stories on that for a few hours, but the bottom line is Sunny V is looking to get back at the people he feels turned their back and wants to do so by brokering multi million dollar deals overseas.

That's how you fix what Katz is talking about...

:thumb: This is what I would like to see.

^ And it is working wonders. The NBA game is already so much better than what it has been, and so is the college game, thus you get the best of both worlds. The NBA draft was getting to the point in which you had so many teams drafting guys on potential. With that it would take at least three years or longer for them to actually make an impact. Now with the guys coming in one year removed, they can step in, start, and make an instant impact. IMO its great for the NBA, also helps the college game out by giving it stud players, I'm all for it. (and I always thought it should have been two years instead of one.)

:thumb: I like it just 1 year for the league in evaluating the players but 2 years for the colleges and for the player. 2 years keeps the players in check and keep them student athletes, one year is good but keeps the colleges on the edge of trouble.

If I really got into things based solely on race, I'd be furious with the NCAA. The way that they run things is as close to slavery as anything else in the world (other than actual slavery). The millions and millions that universities make off of (predominantly) young, black athletes is disturbing. No where else can someone have a skill worth millions of dollars, and their deprived of that money and this is fully-supported by many. Then the NBA comes in and helps them with their legal theft and deprive often needy young men from the money they deserve. Un-frickin-believable...

The rule was put in place to weed out the Sebastian Telfairs and Kwame Browns of the world and to improve the overall quality of the NBA game. Do not think for a second the NBA (which pushed for the rule) is worried about the well being of these kids. College hoops has become the AAU circuit for the NBA. It makes a mockery of college athletics when kids that have no desire to do anything but play in the NBA are forced to play in college.

:thumb:

This move is all about the NBA looking at for it's own interests. This rule took a lot of pressure off NBA scouts and executives, giving them an extra year to scout these guys playing at a higher level.

They aren't looking out for the kids best interest, they're looking out for their own best interest. Take Kwame Brown, for example...is he better off having been a high pick, high paid NBA draft bust out of high school...or would he have been better off being exposed in college and never getting picked or paid that high?

Any affect it has or had on the college game is coincidence.

It's a ridiculous rule.

Also, GT is right...the comparison to football isn't applicable. That rule is in place as much for safety as anything. Not the case in the NBA.

And, I think we'll start seeing more guys head overseas.

And, I think we'll start seeing more guys head overseas.

And I know I am in the minority in this one, but I would much rather see some of these guys head overseas against good competition, instead of being forced in to going to college when they have no desire but to be there for a few months. Going to college should be a privilege and not a right (or requirement).

And I know I am in the minority in this one, but I would much rather see some of these guys head overseas against good competition, instead of being forced in to going to college when they have no desire but to be there for a few months. Going to college should be a privilege and not a right (or requirement).

Maybe. But this is one guy who agrees with you completely.

I do agree with you. I am not a fan of the one and done players. Not that I dislike the players. I just like to know a player is going to be around a least at couple of seasons. That doesn't mean that I am not excited with the players UK got that will probably be one and done. I would just rather the players go on into the league where they want to be. They should not be forced to play college ball.

Worst rule in all of sports.

Well, that and the BCS, but I digress. All this rule does is reduce the "scholar-athlete" to meaningless words and opens up the door for O.J. Mayo and Derrick Rose type scandals that involve one and done kids who could care less what happens to the school they played for for 1 year. If you can play pro baseball, pro hockey, tennis, golf, etc. at 18 right out of high school, then let them play pro basketball is what I feel.