The economic situation, private schools and football

jbwill2

In N. Ky. there is some serious concern and talk about the impact this economy will have. When you look at the real estate transactions and see half the homes being purchased by banks, things are bad. Private schools are genuinely concerned about losing students next year. Public schools are concerned and discussing this as well because they could have enrollment issues due to no capacity. If students living in a school district switch from private to public, the public school district has to take them which could easily push the public school over its enrollment limits. I know this issue is being discussed in both public and private schools.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Diocese of Covington Freezes Tuition and Wages

Parents who send their children to Catholic schools in Northern Kentucky are about to get some financial relief from the church, but it comes at a cost for church employees.

The Diocese of Covington has decided to freeze tuition rates and wages for employees as part of an effort to keep children in its Catholic schools during the economic crisis.

For the rest of the story click on the above link from the KyPost.com

Theoldguy comment;

I read about this Saturday in the Messenger the Diocesan of Covington Newspaper, but there wasn't a link until the Kypost.com picked up the story. I guess it is good for the families that send their children to the Catholic Schools but the employees of the Catholic School who already receive less pay than their counter parts in the public schools, it's going to be tough on them and I wonder if any will have to leave to be able to take care of their families.....I surely hope not, they (meaning our teachers) already sacrifice a lot to teach in the Catholic School and I for one can't thank them enough...

Edited by Theoldguy

There is always tuition assistance programs offered by the Diocese if parents need it. If eligible, tuition can be greatly reduced so that every child is afforded a Catholic Education if they want. I don't think the #'s will be affected very much even if there wasn't going to be a freeze on tuition and teacher raises.

I am at a disadvantage with respect to private school/public school debates and especially with regard to tuition and how it works. When I think of private school, I immediately think of Christian schools instead of Catholic schools. This is based primarily on my faith and upon the fact that the major private school in our area is Rose Hill Christian school. Ashland Holy Family is our local private Catholic school, but is small and does not offer high school athletics to my knowledge. I had posted earlier about soaring unemployment and the souring economy would force some to think of public school as a source of savings. I was not taking into account the many sacrifices and second jobs that many of you have mentioned to keep your children in Catholic school. My hats off to you keeping your children as a priority.:notworthy:

Parents who send their children to Catholic schools in Northern Kentucky are about to get some financial relief from the church, but it comes at a cost for church employees.

The Diocese of Covington has decided to freeze tuition rates and wages for employees as part of an effort to keep children in its Catholic schools during the economic crisis.

Theoldguy comment;

I read about this Saturday in the Messenger the Diocesan of Covington Newspaper, but there wasn't a link until the Kypost.com picked up the story. I guess it is good for the families that send their children to the Catholic Schools but the employees of the Catholic School who already receive less pay than their counter parts in the public schools, it's going to be tough on them and I wonder if any will have to leave to be able to take care of their families.....I surely hope not, they (meaning our teachers) already sacrifice a lot to teach in the Catholic School and I for one can't thank them enough...

If the Diocese is freezing tuition and teachers' salaries, is it logical to assume that the Bishop is of the opinion that the economy is having an impact on the ability of families to send their children to the Catholic schools, and the answers to JB's original questions may turn out being yes?

The most unfortunate impact is the loss of a job by one or both parents. This is obviously a serious blow and can force a very tough decision on specific families faced with that scenerio.

Possibly a more universal impact was last summer and fall - $4 a gallon gas. Since private school implies private transportation (at least in KY) that event was probably causing some to evaluate the situation. No matter how much you leverage car pools, etc. there is a definite and high cost associated with transportation and sports activities like football. The cost impact to our family was at least an $200 a month during football season.

For those BGP'ers associated with private schools, have you guys heard any word on whether your school is anticipating a drop in enrollment for the 2009-2010 school year? If this is a concern, I suspect that the school's teachers and administrators would be talking about it now.

For those BGP'ers associated with private schools, have you guys heard any word on whether your school is anticipating a drop in enrollment for the 2009-2010 school year? If this is a concern, I suspect that the school's teachers and administrators would be talking about it now.

no , they actually have had larger 9th grade classes lately than ever before.

In Jefferson County, I believe that Manual has prospered due to the high cost of Private schools more than anyone due to the "perceived" excellence of education and no tuition. However, we all know you get what you pay for, or, what you don't pay for.

Those that choose private schools usually do this with out the cost as a consideration, but, the quality of education and the quality of the athletic programs. Manual has gotten more parochial school kids in recent years than any one outside the private system.

I am not a Private basher... but I will wholehearedly disagree with your comment regarding "you get what you pay for." There are some very fine public schools in this great state that are deemed Blue Ribbon Schools. I am not sure if Manual is one of these designated schools, but to make such an absurd comment without any fact is wrong. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. To some of us that trait is found in the public sector and to others it is found in the private.

I am not a Private basher... but I will wholehearedly disagree with your comment regarding "you get what you pay for." There are some very fine public schools in this great state that are deemed Blue Ribbon Schools. I am not sure if Manual is one of these designated schools, but to make such an absurd comment without any fact is wrong. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. To some of us that trait is found in the public sector and to others it is found in the private.

Manual is among the top high schools in the country.

Theoldguy comment;

I also heard if a teacher leaves the school and a new teacher is hired, the new teacher will be hired at or below the salary of the teacher who left.

I would imagine most kids going to private schools not on any kind of scholarship are pretty wealthy. The economy probably isn't effecting them hardly as bad as more lower middle class families. But I am sure the economy has some effect.

And you would be greatly mistaken.

Most parents give up a great deal to send their kids to private school.

Also 95% of the kids attending private school are not on any type of scholarship.

Edited by C-BOY78