The economic situation, private schools and football

jbwill2

And you would be greatly mistaken.

Most parents give up a great deal to send their kids to private school.

Also 95% of the kids attending private school are not on any type of scholarship.

Is that true in the case of the school that you attend/attended or for all private schools in your opinion?

Is the situation with private schools in N. Ky different than for the private schools in other areas of the state?

Is it fair to think that with the high quality public schools (academically and athletically) in N.Ky, those kids that attend say CovCath are not attending the school because of the lack of quality alternatives; rather because the parents strongly want their kids to attend an all male, catholic school for religious reason? Is that the situation with private schools in Lex or Lou? I realize that Louisville has some schools like Manual that offer high quality academics and athletics but obviously not everyone can attend Manual. Is it fair to think that some parents choose to send their kids to X and T because they otherwise would have to send their kids to public schools that they find less than desirable (ie, they don't have the favorable public school options found in N. Ky)? Is that the case with the private schools in Lex? If so and if it's not so much about the religious aspect, as money becomes tight, are parents perhaps less likely or more likely in other areas to consider sending their kids to the public schools? Or is the exact inverse the case? With alternatives like Beechwood, Dixie and Highlands, are parents that had sent or were considering sending their kids to CovCath and NewCath more likely to send them to the public schools when money gets tight?

Not suggesting any answers to these questions, just interested in learning what people felt.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not a Private basher... but I will wholehearedly disagree with your comment regarding "you get what you pay for." There are some very fine public schools in this great state that are deemed Blue Ribbon Schools. I am not sure if Manual is one of these designated schools, but to make such an absurd comment without any fact is wrong. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. To some of us that trait is found in the public sector and to others it is found in the private.

My good friend, you are paying a lot to have your sons attend Highlands. Just look at your tax bill the next time you get one. :thumb: And if they don't modify SEEK sometime soon, you'll be paying more and more in the future. So perhaps the poster you quoted was correct: you do get what you pay for. You just pay it in higher taxes as opposed to tuition.

And you would be greatly mistaken.

Most parents give up a great deal to send their kids to private school.

Also 95% of the kids attending private school are not on any type of scholarship.

I agree with your first statements but the other factoid is off a little. CovCath made available this past year either "tuition assistance"(PSAS) or "scholarships" to 85 students. It's on their website. That's about 17%.

I would imagine most kids going to private schools not on any kind of scholarship are pretty wealthy. The economy probably isn't effecting them hardly as bad as more lower middle class families. But I am sure the economy has some effect.

Trinity students qualified for $2 million in assistance last year per a state approved third party company which independently handles who gets the financial aid blindly based on financial need only after analyzing tax returns, etc. Trinity had $1 million available due to the generosity of her alumni and supporters. That left a need of $1 million unmet. Tuition this school year is $9500.00. The fact is "most kids" qualify for tuition aid.

A St. Xavier staffer told me that more students and their families than ever before have applied for financial aid at their 144 year old institution. They are aware that they too will have a large shortfall.

Are you stating financial aid is the same as a scholarship? There are some academic scholarships at Trinity. Several $500.00- $1000.00 awards are given annually from funds donated for scholarships. All students are invited to apply for these. That's why they are legal under the KHSAA guidelines.

20% of Trinity students are non-Catholic.

Some families are leaving Catholic elementary schools and saving the tuition money so they may send their children to private high schools.

You have to consider the situation in Jefferson County is much different than most areas. JCPS can't hide the fact that 1 of 4 students drop out before they graduate high school. Their superintendent was bragging today about the 100,000 (all grades) which will be enrolled next year is a sign people are satisfied with JCPS. In reality, as the C-J reported, birthrates are up in Jefferson County and many people are sending their children to public school because they feel they have no other options. Free transportation is one factor. Certainly cost is a factor. But at what price does free education come? Which 25,000 will not make it to graduation day?

I agree with your first statements but the other factoid is off a little. CovCath made available this past year either "tuition assistance"(PSAS) or "scholarships" to 85 students. It's on their website. That's about 17%.

Again most kids who get tuition assistance are required to work for that assistance.

Would people familiar with other private schools care to indicate if that's the case with the 9th grade classes in their schools for this past year?

LexCath was about 'normal' for this school year. LC has never 'filled up' but has had a steady enrollment for the past few years.

But on a timing note - the serious stock market hit occurred after the school year started and large scale layoffs, bonus cuts or elminations and salary freezes did not hit until late late 2008 and early 2009. So this past school year may have looked fairly normal. However, I believe that next school year there will be very tough decisions by parents and school administrators in the private/religous school sector.

Growth is all but out of the question, holding steady enrollment would be a major acomplishment and some downturn would seem all but inevitable. The most likely question on administrators mind right now is probably 'How big will the downturn will be?'

LexCath was about 'normal' for this school year. LC has never 'filled up' but has had a steady enrollment for the past few years.

But on a timing note - the serious stock market hit occurred after the school year started and large scale layoffs, bonus cuts or elminations and salary freezes did not hit until late late 2008 and early 2009. So this past school year may have looked fairly normal. However, I believe that next school year there will be very tough decisions by parents and school administrators in the private/religous school sector.

Growth is all but out of the question, holding steady enrollment would be a major acomplishment and some downturn would seem all but inevitable. The most likely question on administrators mind right now is probably 'How big will the downturn will be?'

So is it safe to conclude that you would answer jbwill's 2 questions in the first post in the affirmative?

From the Courier Journal:

The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Louisville has seen enrollment at its 38 schools in Jefferson County decrease by about 1,500 students over the past five years, according to archdiocesan officials.

Leisa Schulz, superintendent of the Catholic schools, said yesterday that she believes the decrease is being caused by two factors.

"First of all, it's our demographics -- the number of school-aged children in our parishes is declining," she said. "We also know that the financial cost of our schools can be a challenge, even when the economic times are better than what they are right now."

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2009902240380

Ms. Shulz would know better than I do, so I'll assume she right. I have no evidence, but I'm guessing that the impact will be larger at the elementary school level.

There have been several comments about the quality of options in Jefferson County. There are several quality schools in the county. I know there are many problems with CATS scores, but they do provide some measure to compare schools. Using those as a guide: Ballard, Butler, & Eastern are comparable to Beechwood & Dixie. Male and Manual are outperforming Highlands. I'm not trying to diminish Beechwood, Highlands, & Dixie. They are excellent schools. I'm just saying there are excellent schools in Jefferson County as well.

So is it safe to conclude that you would answer jbwill's 2 questions in the first post in the affirmative?

In general, yes. Enrollments will definitely be under pressure. A slight decrease may not have noticable impact to 'the program' but a more substancial decrease of 10% or more probably does.

The thread title askls "will football be hurt" at the private schools. I am only familiar with Jefferson County. Holy Cross will be hurt the most. Then DeSales. Trinity and St. X are "almost" bullet proof. Christian Academy will maintain. Now it's off for some ashes to be applied to the old forehead.:D