The economic situation, private schools and football

jbwill2

I find it interesting that the only perspective that seems interesting to consider in the issue of the potential impact of the recession on private schools is football.

Being the BGP'er who started this thread, allow me to address this...

There has already been a TON written/said in the media about how the current economic situation is impacting various aspects of Americans' lives, and I thought it would be interesting to see if this situation is impacting private school education... and athletics is a part of education, both private and public.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being the BGP'er who started this thread, allow me to address this...

There has already been a TON written/said in the media about how the current economic situation is impacting various aspects of Americans' lives, and I thought it would be interesting to see if this situation is impacting private school education... and athletics is a part of education, both private and public.

All I meant was that on BGP, not one thread has been started in basketball, etc, or even general discussion or P&R. I found that interesting.

I think without a doubt that some kids who would normally go to private schools may end up in public schools due to the current economic situation. I do not think that it will affect the large private schools significantly. It may hurt the smaller private schools, especially if there is a good public school system nearby.

All I meant was that on BGP, not one thread has been started in basketball, etc, or even general discussion or P&R. I found that interesting.

That's because it is playoff season in basketball and they have better things to discuss.

GD is just a bunch of late nighters that have more topics then they know what to do with.

And P&R has Obama.

Your in the football forum and there is nothing to discuss but the economic impact on private schools.

IT IS A VERY SAD DAY, BUT SPRING FOOTBALL IS JUST AROUND THE CORNER.:dancingpa

I think most people are concerned about tuition having an impact on high school sports for private schools in general. I know of one private school that has had a waiting list for elementary for a few years.

As those elementary years draw near and say their child is ready to enter the first grade and the parents are now faced with a financial hardship unlike they were when they placed that childs name on the wait list, do they still place him or her in the private school or do they opt to place them in the public school due to their current financial situation?

Don't know the exact numbers, but a little birdie told me that Louisville Eastern has more than 800 applicants for their incoming Freshman class. He said that this is their most ever.

Most are there for "technology" classes. According to my staff source at Eastern, not much help envisoned for football.

Are you all aware that you can lock in and prepay monthly at Trinity as early as the sixth grade? Even younger may be negotiated. Currently, approximately $52,000.00 spread over 84 months will take care of your child. Tuition costs cannot exceed this number. If you change your mind, you may receive your money back less 2%. You may also apply for financial aid and get a rebate if the need is proven. You may see all the lock ins available at Trinity's website.

Edited by thsrocks
more information

Most are there for "technology" classes. According to my staff source at Eastern, not much help envisoned for football.

Are you all aware that you can lock in and prepay monthly at Trinity as early as the sixth grade? Even younger may be negotiated. Currently, approximately $52,000.00 spread over 84 months will take care of your child. Tuition costs cannot exceed this number. If you change your mind, you may receive your money back less 2%. You may also apply for financial aid and get a rebate if the need is proven. You may see all the lock ins available at Trinity's website.

$52k for 4 years tuition?

LexCath was about 'normal' for this school year. LC has never 'filled up' but has had a steady enrollment for the past few years.

But on a timing note - the serious stock market hit occurred after the school year started and large scale layoffs, bonus cuts or elminations and salary freezes did not hit until late late 2008 and early 2009. So this past school year may have looked fairly normal. However, I believe that next school year there will be very tough decisions by parents and school administrators in the private/religous school sector.

Growth is all but out of the question, holding steady enrollment would be a major acomplishment and some downturn would seem all but inevitable. The most likely question on administrators mind right now is probably 'How big will the downturn will be?'

Well, the Freshmen Placement exam and makeups being complete, more 8th graders filled out the paperwork and took the exam than last year, and maybe more than the year before. Will that translate into a 100% enrollment? Don't know. But at least those numbers are promising.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, I thought it was $7-8k a year at Trinity, thats at least $20k more than I thought 4 years would cost. Has the tuition increased that much?

I checked the THS website. Tuition for this current school year is about $9200. That's much higher than you would pay in NKY. I'd guess tuitions in NKY range from 5000+ to $6500.

If you want to start paying now for your 6th grader who plans on enrolling at T you can pay $624 per month for 84 months which comes to about $52k.

Don't know about the technology thing, I'd like to know how they screened that. How do they know that they are "technology" kids and not athletes?

Don't know about the technology thing, I'd like to know how they screened that. How do they know that they are "technology" kids and not athletes?

Eastern is a technology magnet. Their magnet program is VERY good, and VERY strong. Could some of those tech students be athletes? Very likely. But, Eastern offers a specific program, and an athlete with that interest would surely be drawn to that school.

Eastern is a technology magnet. Their magnet program is VERY good, and VERY strong. Could some of those tech students be athletes? Very likely. But, Eastern offers a specific program, and an athlete with that interest would surely be drawn to that school.

I can only tell you the coaching staffs know full well where the Middletown Eagles are going to attend high school. This goes for the Lobos, Fern Creek teams, Highview teams, West End Louisville teams, etc. I don't disclose coaches identities. I am fortunate to be familiar with many coaches and their staffs. Coaches understand where the life blood for their programs are leaning, from Western High School to Ballard High School.