The economic situation, private schools and football

jbwill2

I have a question... will the recent economic downturn affect the private school football programs in KY? With the tuition required to attend these schools, have kids with athletic potential gone to public schools, who would probably go to private schools in better economic times? I am especially thinking about NKY, where there are very good private AND public schools in the area.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that its been happening for a few years in areas where there are strong alternatives.

I can't help but notice that '07 and '08 CovCath have not been on par with what they used to be in previous years... does this happen to have anything to do with the economy, or is it just a coincidence?

In Jefferson County, I believe that Manual has prospered due to the high cost of Private schools more than anyone due to the "perceived" excellence of education and no tuition. However, we all know you get what you pay for, or, what you don't pay for.

Those that choose private schools usually do this with out the cost as a consideration, but, the quality of education and the quality of the athletic programs. Manual has gotten more parochial school kids in recent years than any one outside the private system.

I can't help but notice that '07 and '08 CovCath have not been on par with what they used to be in previous years... does this happen to have anything to do with the economy, or is it just a coincidence?

You're asking the unknown. The current SR and JR class are not deep by CCH standards. Are there kids that maybe would be there but decided the money was too much? Who knows.

I don't think the "Economy" has anything to do with what kids go to public or private schools.

Really? Because the economy has a lot to do with many (and perhaps most) aspects of Americans' lives. It just seems to me that if people have less money to spend, the chances of some families being able to afford paying tuition for private school education are diminished.

I don't think the "Economy" has anything to do with what kids go to public or private schools.

I would agree to a point with you however, this current sub 7,600 Market and the rate of job loss, etc., can start to make some people look at the public school market as an option to save costs. I know there are some that are wealthy enough to continue and there are some that will sacrifice in other areas to keep their kids in private schools, especially for religious reasons. There will be some that make the sacrifice so that their kids can continue private school for sports, too. I just think if the market continues on it's downturn, and most say it will get worse before it is over, you'll see some of these kids back in public school. Jmo.

Really? Because the economy has a lot to do with many (and perhaps most) aspects of Americans' lives. It just seems to me that if people have less money to spend, the chances of some families being able to afford paying tuition for private school education are diminished.

I disagree. And most of the reason is for the Politics and Religion Forum, but I don't think that you will see many, if any, students going to a public school from a private school because of the economy, now you may hear that as the reason, but I don't think that it is the real reason. Now, every year there are students that leave a public school for a private school, or vise verse, and some of it may be because of financial hardship, but that happens every year, not just this one.

Check with some of the private school supporters and see if enrollment is down this year. And by "down" I mean worse then, say, the last 10 years, I bet there no change other then normal fluctuation that occurs from time to time.

I will agree with what Ram wrote! If you truly want to send your child/children to a Catholic school for all the right reasons (and trust me, 99.99999% of parents who send their kid to a Catholic school, do it for all the correct reason, whether those in the public sector what to believe me or not), you as a family will find a way! Why? Simply put, our parents found a why to send us to a Catholic School and we will do/did the same for our kids too.

If you truly need the help, the schools will help you out. My wife and I cleaned the bathrooms at the school we sent our daughter to for years to help pay for her tuition (note I said help pay, as we still had to pay half of the tuition). It was hard, dirty work and it really wasn't fun to get off work and go to the school to clean the toilets at her school everyday, but it was worth it to us for her education.

BTW our daughter never played on a sports team at her school, but I can proudly tell you she was a four year member of the Academic Team.:thumb:

I just want to clarify something in my original post... I am not saying that athletics is the reason these kids would be going to private schools in the first place... what I am saying is that there may be less kids able to go to a private school with the current economic situation, and some of the affected kids are bound to be involved in athletics.

In Jefferson County, I believe that Manual has prospered due to the high cost of Private schools more than anyone due to the "perceived" excellence of education and no tuition. However, we all know you get what you pay for, or, what you don't pay for.

Those that choose private schools usually do this with out the cost as a consideration, but, the quality of education and the quality of the athletic programs. Manual has gotten more parochial school kids in recent years than any one outside the private system.

The subtext being that Manual is in fact LACKING in excellence of education because of it's lack of tuition?

:ohbrother:

Nevermind... too much potential for threadjacking.

I don't think the economic crisis has hurt the Jefferson County private sector so much, but I can't speak for NKY.

I will agree with what Ram wrote! If you truly want to send your child/children to a Catholic school for all the right reasons (and trust me, 99.99999% of parents who send their kid to a Catholic school, do it for all the correct reason, whether those in the public sector what to believe me or not), you as a family will find a way! Why? Simply put, our parents found a why to send us to a Catholic School and we will do/did the same for our kids too.

If you truly need the help, the schools will help you out. My wife and I cleaned the bathrooms at the school we sent our daughter to for years to help pay for her tuition (note I said help pay, as we still had to pay half of the tuition). It was hard, dirty work and it really wasn't fun to get off work and go to the school to clean the toilets at her school everyday, but it was worth it to us for her education.

BTW our daughter never played on a sports team at her school, but I can proudly tell you she was a four year member of the Academic Team.:thumb:

TOG

GReat post. Way to put things into perspective. Hopefully that will give pause to the 'private bashers' -- to really consider the much bigger picture.:thumb:

You're asking the unknown. The current SR and JR class are not deep by CCH standards. Are there kids that maybe would be there but decided the money was too much? Who knows.

How many took the entrance exam and then didn't enroll in the fall? How does this compare to previous years? That's the telltale sign.

Trinity usually retains 80% of those who take the entrance exam in December.

No, the economy did not have any impact on the '07 and '08 CCH teams. I know of only a couple of players that went to Catholic middle school and then went to a public high school. And the couple I know of, it wasn't the economy that caused them to go public.