The Future of Greenup County Football

PureFan

Last year, with the two seperate teams we still only had a freshman class of about 20. Same thing the year before! I do think it is a numbers issue, the word on the street was that Wurtland might not even have enough players for a team next year.

Beating Raceland and Russell would be more than nice, it would be FANTASTIC! but, you are right we have to win in our district!

Like I said, if the number aren't there, the numbers aren't there. But, I think the priority should be getting the numbers there. If they have to combine, then that, of course, is the best action.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one, combined team may work, but my concern is: Greenup County is a 4A school, and has to compete with like sized schools, thus numbers are important. I worry that only having one team will mean that Greenup County will only be receiving 20 football players at the freshmen level. That is not enough for a school the size of Greenup County. I honestly think that it would be better to try to boost the numbers at the two middle schools to support two teams, that would send 40 football players to the high school each year and be more in line with the numbers needed for a 4A school. Now, with that said, if you don't have the numbers, then you don't have the numbers.

I don't know the number for the other 4A schools, but I would say that most have more then one Junior High team. Beating Raceland and Russell would be nice for Greenup County, but the bottom line is, Greenup County has to be able to beat the 4A teams in their district, region, and the entire state. To do that numbers are important.

Just my opinion, nothing else.

If you look at GC's roster from the past 4years you see that they only have around 50players every year and that's Freshmen thru Senior's. I'm sure they would love to have 20players in every grade which would lead them to around 80players for the 4grades. With them combining the middle school's everything will be first class and won't be water'd down. For the 7th and 8th grade next season they'll have around 30 to 40players for each grade. With the JFL growing like it is, I'd say GC will have the numbers in a couple of years.

Like I said, if the number aren't there, the numbers aren't there. But, I think the priority should be getting the numbers there. If they have to combine, then that, of course, is the best action.

Coach Copley has expressed a desire to be involved in both the middle school and JFL Football. We do have a large JFL, and hopefully with a general excitement about football in Greenup County the numbers will increase. I am not sure how the JFL numbers compare to other programs, but I believe after a few years of downturn, they are finally rising again. Coupon would know the number more accurately.

Coach Copley has expressed a desire to be involved in both the middle school and JFL Football. We do have a large JFL, and hopefully with a general excitement about football in Greenup County the numbers will increase. I am not sure how the JFL numbers compare to other programs, but I believe after a few years of downturn, they are finally rising again. Coupon would know the number more accurately.

It's been my experience, that most players quit playing football, or any sport for that matter, between 6th grade and their freshman year of high school. I would say that most programs have a drop off in junior high, that seems to be the time that kids decide if they are going to play a particular sport in high school or not. That has been the way it happens at Raceland and several other schools in the area. You have large numbers in JFL, and good numbers in high school, but Jr high is where you loose some players from JFL. That is why JFL is so important, if you have 30 on a team in JFL, you will likely have 20 of them on the Jr High team and about 18 of them on the high school team. If you start with a lower number in JFL, you drop off and have even less in high school.

I'd say one of the problems that it was at one end of the county instead of at the high school more so than not having a JFL program.

I wasn't implying that it being at McKell was a problem. Wurtland tried on several attempts to organize a team but there was never enough interest. The ones that wanted to play came to McKell and we were all content. I am saying that it's a numbers game now. I looked at my old 7-8th grade team photos and there were as many playing as there are currently on the high school team. That is why I brought up the elementary basketball program from the 80's. Eleven teams with 6-8 boys playing, prepared them for trying out in high school. That would be a minimum of 66 boys properly prepared for their Freshman year of basketball IF they wanted to try out. Football, as Ram stated, is all about numbers, too. Especially at the 4A level. If you want to increase the number of boys playing in the grade schools past JFL, I think one middle school team is a mistake. I have read in a post by Coupon21, that there were something like 166 boys playing JFL football in the Greenup system. Why are they not continuing to play on the Middle school teams? I think there is a bigger question to answer prior to reducing the participation to a single team. In my opinion, you need to find a way to increase the number of teams to allow these 160 plus kids the chance to advance their football abilities instead of reducing it to essentially 20-30 boys on one team. Again, just my opinion.

Just a thought, nothing more. Do you believe that the boys get "burned" out by the time they are 9th grade, they have played football since 3rd or 4th grade that is 5 years before getting to high school. Now, don't get mean about it but could this be the case?:idunno:

Just a thought, nothing more. Do you believe that the boys get "burned" out by the time they are 9th grade, they have played football since 3rd or 4th grade that is 5 years before getting to high school. Now, don't get mean about it but could this be the case?:idunno:

It is a very good point. Parents and coaches have to find a way to keep the fun in the game to keep them wanting to play. Ram is right AGAIN when it comes to the drop off being somewhere between the 6th and 9th grades. Find a way to keep young men's interest in this 3 year gap, and you'll explode with numbers. Heck, Raceland needs to do the same thing! We have numbers, we just have to keep them interested.

I don't think they get burned out in football, basketball and baseball maybe, because those sports are virtually year around even at the elementary level now. You are always going to have a drop off from elementary to high school, mainly because there are so many things for kids to do now, and in Jr High they start deciding if they are going to be more focused on baseball, basketball, or football. Some will play all three, but most will only play one or two, and they start deciding what sports they are going to play in high school, in Jr high.

I wasn't implying that it being at McKell was a problem. Wurtland tried on several attempts to organize a team but there was never enough interest. The ones that wanted to play came to McKell and we were all content. I am saying that it's a numbers game now. I looked at my old 7-8th grade team photos and there were as many playing as there are currently on the high school team. That is why I brought up the elementary basketball program from the 80's. Eleven teams with 6-8 boys playing, prepared them for trying out in high school. That would be a minimum of 66 boys properly prepared for their Freshman year of basketball IF they wanted to try out. Football, as Ram stated, is all about numbers, too. Especially at the 4A level. If you want to increase the number of boys playing in the grade schools past JFL, I think one middle school team is a mistake. I have read in a post by Coupon21, that there were something like 166 boys playing JFL football in the Greenup system. Why are they not continuing to play on the Middle school teams? I think there is a bigger question to answer prior to reducing the participation to a single team. In my opinion, you need to find a way to increase the number of teams to allow these 160 plus kids the chance to advance their football abilities instead of reducing it to essentially 20-30 boys on one team. Again, just my opinion.

The participation is a big part but getting beat 7 to 8 games out of 10 games get's old. Losing 7 to 8 games a year doesn't bring out many players just look at the high school. I know one grade at each school has more or less players than the other. Which again makes it hard to compete against other teams. With the combining you have a chance competing with bigger schools year in and year out.

I don't think they get burned out in football, basketball and baseball maybe, because those sports are virtually year around even at the elementary level now. You are always going to have a drop off from elementary to high school, mainly because there are so many things for kids to do now, and in Jr High they start deciding if they are going to be more focused on baseball, basketball, or football. Some will play all three, but most will only play one or two, and they start deciding what sports they are going to play in high school, in Jr high.

Another thought, Middle School or Jr High kids are going through so many changes at this time that is where you loose kids in any activities, school, sports, church, family, etc. This is a hard time for this age child that could be a reason behind. You are right about keeping it fun, with jfl and middle school football it isn't the olympics - I think IMO that parents take it way too seriously.:idunno:

Does anybody know anything on the field turf? I hear that the middle school 7th & 8th grade will be joining back in the EKC. This would allow them to have a chance to be in the KYMSFA. Which could possible have a middle school state championship. I know Morgan Co. 8th and Ashland Verity 7th grades competed from the area last year.

We are presenting the field turf to the BOE on Monday. We do have the BOE's ears on this but the main thing we need done is the lights and the bleachers, but the BOE wants to do it all and we have a plan to get it there.

We also have a private person interested in doing the fieldhouse as well.

We are presenting the field turf to the BOE on Monday. We do have the BOE's ears on this but the main thing we need done is the lights and the bleachers, but the BOE wants to do it all and we have a plan to get it there.

We also have a private person interested in doing the fieldhouse as well.

Any news on the weightroom?

I am curious. I have heard from some of my patients that are employees of the school system and parents that are a little confused and upset that the amount of money and allocations can be approved for athletic improvements in light of certain pending layoffs and cut backs. With all of the things that the BOE has approved and the superintendant has allowed, will this fly without an uprising? Just asking.............