The Future of Greenup County Football

PureFan

What kind of activities do you think will go on all year round from 9 - 9? It is not like the movie, that stated, "build it and they will come." There has never been that many activities, and I don't think just because you have a turf field that this will make it any different. Besides, you can't rely on this for revenue.

What do you mean "won't hurt the budget"! Right now no one really knows what the budget is. The turf will cost around $650,000. If the board finances this it will cost $100,000 a year. Then approx. after 12 years you are out another $350,000 to upgrade. As I see it you are never out of a payment for more than a year or two. But why would you care, because you will be done after 2 or 3 years. How can you say that this is a good idea?

You also keep stating that kids are going to other schools. Have we forgotten about education? If parents really care about their kids, our schools, and the community, then they would see that the money be spent on something besides turf, like the future of our kids as they grow to become self sufficient adults making their own way.

Have you been to any of our schools? Teachers are teaching classes of 28 - 30 elementary grade students. Thus, they need more help. The art and music teachers do not even have their own rooms, the travel on a cart. We are looking at cutting teachers, and the money that the turf would come from, could be used for some of these things. Teachers use there own money to buy supplies for their classes, and you don't even hear them complain, but if the money goes for something like turf, I'm sure you will hear some feedback.

At the board meeting last night there was only 1 member who seemed to support the turf idea. It did not even get a motion made.

Outsider, I just about didn't even comment on this post but I had too.

My mother was in education for 27 years as a music teacher, my uncle was in the superintendents office in Fayette County Schools for 30 years so yes, I have been in a classroom and I for one feel our teachers are the most underpayed professional we have, bar none.

I have done a lot of research in this matter and the folks that have field turf have not only paid for it but doubled their money invested in it by the activities that take part on the complex and through savings in maintenance costs. We are looking at 50K per year for 20 years to have field turf, what are we paying now each year to maintain the facility? If you want names of organizations I will be glad to PM them to you.

The only thing I want to do is whatever I can to make our community the best it can be in every aspect. My children were born and raised in Greenup County, I want them after they get their education to come back to Greenup County and raise their children. We as leaders need to do everything we can to increase the economic dynamic of our community, that is in healthcare, education, business opportunities and recreation and leisure opportunities. If we want people to stay in Greenup County we need to do everything we can to improve Greenup County to make it attractive to folks with families.

The turf is something that when it gets right down to it, no, we don't need it but why shouldn't Greenup County have something nice for our kids, and outsider, you are dead wrong about build it and they will come, we have built many facilities within the county of Greenup that were not available and it has increased revenue at these facilities in a recession time because we are offering things that were not offered before due to the new facilities. When you add something that is going to better the community, you have to look at the long range benefit and I really beleive that it will be a huge benefit to the county and especially GCHS.

I do think there is a time and place for a business manager to speak about the finances and I do not think it was time for him to interupt the presenter while he was taking questions and embarrassing him in stating the things he did, he was playing on the emotions and fears of the folks in the room, completely uncalled for and very unprofessional and should have been done in executive session or when it will be voted on, not at that time.

I will continue to do whatever I can to make our community the best it can be, Greenup County is my home and I will continue to do whatever I can to help GCHS in any way I can and hopefully have grandchildren going to school there one day and playing on that field turf.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't believe football is the biggest, I believe it is Cheerleading - I know they have to bring in the bucks so that they can compete. :idunno:

Cheerleading only brings in money for itself, it does not contribute any funds to the athletic budget so that Greenup can have sports like golf, tennis, track, volleyball, soccer, etc.

Cheerleading only brings in money for itself, it does not contribute any funds to the athletic budget so that Greenup can have sports like golf, tennis, track, volleyball, soccer, etc.

Speaking as a parent of a cheerleader for the past 5 years, yes it is very expensive to compete and be a part of the team and has been well worth it for my daughter but as Purefan stated, I do not beleive that any money goes back into the athletic fund for our other sports at GCHS.

Football and basketball are the two that keep the athletic revenue coming in to the school and help keep the other sports going and the band makes concession money on the football games which helps them with their expenses too.

The more we can do to improve our athletic complex to generate more activity it will benefit the entire athletic program at GCHS through the extra revenue generated through the improvements, upgrades and added programs at the complex.

We need to upgrade our facilities to not only compete at a high level but to maintain our expenses for the other sports and to do this we have to add the additional revenue producing programs that can only be done if we improve our facilities to be able to host such programs and activities.

It is time for the athletic complex to get what it is due, as a coach stated at the board meeting, it still looks the same as it did in the 80's, everything with exception of the scoreboard and the press box. The BOE needs to invest into this complex so we can take not only our entire athletic program to the next level but GCHS as well.

Edited by recpark

I don't believe football is the biggest, I believe it is Cheerleading - I know they have to bring in the bucks so that they can compete. :idunno:

Wow, people, I knew that it was a joke concerning how much money they do raise for themselves, believe me I know how much this program costs and education costs.

I'm all for helping the students at Greenup County High School, I guess I'm old school the reason for a school is education not sports.

Wow, people, I knew that it was a joke concerning how much money they do raise for themselves, believe me I know how much this program costs and education costs.

I'm all for helping the students at Greenup County High School, I guess I'm old school the reason for a school is education not sports.

True Mom55 but it all comes down to money and extra revenue comes from extracurricular activities such as sports.

You are absolutely right about school being for education.But I believe that all students that are playing sports have to keep up their grades in order to play.So with that being said it gives the kids some who otherwise would not even try in school make better grades to be able to keep playing the sport they love.I know for our house the boys have to make A's and B's or the sports are not an option.In other words what I'm saying is sports helps give the kids incentive to get a education.JMO

:thumb:

You are absolutely right about school being for education.But I believe that all students that are playing sports have to keep up their grades in order to play.So with that being said it gives the kids some who otherwise would not even try in school make better grades to be able to keep playing the sport they love.I know for our house the boys have to make A's and B's or the sports are not an option.In other words what I'm saying is sports helps give the kids incentive to get a education.JMO

:thumb:

Outsider, I just about didn't even comment on this post but I had too.

My mother was in education for 27 years as a music teacher, my uncle was in the superintendents office in Fayette County Schools for 30 years so yes, I have been in a classroom and I for one feel our teachers are the most underpayed professional we have, bar none.

I have done a lot of research in this matter and the folks that have field turf have not only paid for it but doubled their money invested in it by the activities that take part on the complex and through savings in maintenance costs. We are looking at 50K per year for 20 years to have field turf, what are we paying now each year to maintain the facility? If you want names of organizations I will be glad to PM them to you.

The only thing I want to do is whatever I can to make our community the best it can be in every aspect. My children were born and raised in Greenup County, I want them after they get their education to come back to Greenup County and raise their children. We as leaders need to do everything we can to increase the economic dynamic of our community, that is in healthcare, education, business opportunities and recreation and leisure opportunities. If we want people to stay in Greenup County we need to do everything we can to improve Greenup County to make it attractive to folks with families.

The turf is something that when it gets right down to it, no, we don't need it but why shouldn't Greenup County have something nice for our kids, and outsider, you are dead wrong about build it and they will come, we have built many facilities within the county of Greenup that were not available and it has increased revenue at these facilities in a recession time because we are offering things that were not offered before due to the new facilities. When you add something that is going to better the community, you have to look at the long range benefit and I really beleive that it will be a huge benefit to the county and especially GCHS.

I do think there is a time and place for a business manager to speak about the finances and I do not think it was time for him to interupt the presenter while he was taking questions and embarrassing him in stating the things he did, he was playing on the emotions and fears of the folks in the room, completely uncalled for and very unprofessional and should have been done in executive session or when it will be voted on, not at that time.

I will continue to do whatever I can to make our community the best it can be, Greenup County is my home and I will continue to do whatever I can to help GCHS in any way I can and hopefully have grandchildren going to school there one day and playing on that field turf.

Glad you posted, just stating facts. As far as the finances go, this is public record, and I'm glad it was put out there. I am for Greenup County, but as I said before this is just not the right time for such a big project. (Lights and bleachers yes, turf no)

No, people won't just "Show up magically to use the field!" BUT, if handled properly, there could be activities going on at all times to help finance this project. Perhaps a "Usage Committee" should be formed with representatives from the community, soccer, band, football, etc. to explore/schedule the type of activites needed to finance this project.

I do understand that Greenup needs to put more money into Education, books, technology, teachers, etc. There are plenty of grants, both public and private to finance these types of things. There is also money in the Stimulus bill for education. Money for construction/Facility improvement can only come from one "pot".

You mention that Teachers are being cut, but at the Board meeting it was said that teachers will still get their scheduled raise next year. I also thought some of the "Teacher cuts" are related to a change in how Greenup does its' allocations, in order to bring us more in line with other districts. I am all for improving conditions for our teachers, but again, I thought these funds are from different sources.

Your comment, "But why would you care, because you will be done after 2 or 3 years." is not only arrogant it is completely untrue. Some of Greenup County's biggest supporters do not even have children in our school system. RecPark is huge supporter of Greenup County, and I am confident he will remain so, long after his son has graduated. As a member of the business community he is interested in what is best for Greenup County over the long term, and improving our facilities, is part of that.

You, and others, are welcome to share an opinion about this matter, but personally attacking someone for no other reason than to detract from what is trying to be accomplished is sophmoric. In my opinion, you owe RecPark an apology.

-The pot for the turf is general funds, which can be used for many things, needed things.

-Also, I never intended for this to be about teachers and improving things for them, but about kids and their education.

-As far as the budget, nothing has been decided because the state has not sent this information out yet.

-I do not feel that I owe anyone an apology. When I stated that he would not be around in 2 or 3 years, you misunderstood. Most people move on when their kids move on. Lives change and families do too. Why would you want to spend time with something that doesn't even involve you. Most pass it on to the next group of parents/generation as they should.