The Future of Greenup County Football

PureFan

I am curious. I have heard from some of my patients that are employees of the school system and parents that are a little confused and upset that the amount of money and allocations can be approved for athletic improvements in light of certain pending layoffs and cut backs. With all of the things that the BOE has approved and the superintendant has allowed, will this fly without an uprising? Just asking.............

Doc, I agree with the current things going on in the economy, times are tough, that is for sure but our facilities are in very bad shape and the BOE wants this to be done for our kids, this will be for every kid in the county that plays soccer, football or a band instrument. We will have activities on the "complex" all year round from 9 a.m. - 9 p.m. 7 days a week and with the revenue generated from the activities the facility will pay for itself during the time of the financing of the facility if managed and scheduled properly, it is being done at other facilities that have installed the turf. This will not only make GCHS a first class facility but it will also give the community something to be very proud about and will keep our kids from going up the river and possibly bring more kids to GCHS in the soccer, football and music programs which will increase the federal dollars for the school which will in turn allow the BOE to hire more teachers. It is a vision that we have and we are looking at a 2-3 year plan to get it all done.

The turf can be done on a finance plan over an 8 year period which will not hurt the budget that much with initial costs, the other things will be done over a 2-3 year period.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doc, I agree with the current things going on in the economy, times are tough, that is for sure but our facilities are in very bad shape and the BOE wants this to be done for our kids, this will be for every kid in the county that plays soccer, football or a band instrument. We will have activities on the "complex" all year round from 9 a.m. - 9 p.m. 7 days a week and with the revenue generated from the activities the facility will pay for itself during the time of the financing of the facility if managed and scheduled properly, it is being done at other facilities that have installed the turf. This will not only make GCHS a first class facility but it will also give the community something to be very proud about and will keep our kids from going up the river and possibly bring more kids to GCHS in the soccer, football and music programs which will increase the federal dollars for the school which will in turn allow the BOE to hire more teachers. It is a vision that we have and we are looking at a 2-3 year plan to get it all done.

The turf can be done on a finance plan over an 8 year period which will not hurt the budget that much with initial costs, the other things will be done over a 2-3 year period.

:thumb:

And spending money only stimulates the economy, right? :D

Seriously, I am excited about these changes, and as I understand it, spending money on facility upgrades comes from a different budget than teacher salaries, so if Greenup has the money, they should do it now, rather than see the program continue to falter.

:thumb:

And spending money only stimulates the economy, right? :D

Seriously, I am excited about these changes, and as I understand it, spending money on facility upgrades comes from a different budget than teacher salaries, so if Greenup has the money, they should do it now, rather than see the program continue to falter.

Or see it drained into a state account for their use. All state ran board has had a percentage of its savings taken in the name of state budgeting. I know this because I am on the KY Board of Chiropractic Examiners and it has happened twice in my first term/appointment.

Or see it drained into a state account for their use. All state ran board has had a percentage of its savings taken in the name of state budgeting. I know this because I am on the KY Board of Chiropractic Examiners and it has happened twice in my first term/appointment.

Great things are coming to GCHS, we are going to stay positive and focused on doing everything we can to make great things happen for our program. Coach Copley is very excited and I spoke to one of his assistants today, Tim Champlin, Defensive Coordinator, and he is jacked up as well, they will be at the game Saturday.

Coach Champlin runs a 4-3 and loves smash mouth football...

I am posting this to let everyone in GC land that I am sorry that my posts are bringing out the ire in some. I have been informed that some posters are upset with me regarding my posts as being "negative". I am sorry that my opinions are taken as negative. They were either questions asked of me by parents and/or teachers in the GC system. I am proud to have graduated from Greenup and I love the kids and have always done anything and everything to help them. I do many things for the school that none of you would know, especially since I don't go around bragging about it. I don't need anyones praise.

I will no longer post on Greenup threads, period. Again, I am sorry that my questions and opinions are deamed negative. I will no longer do anything to aid in this portrayal of me or my reputation.

Good luck, Greenup County.

I am posting this to let everyone in GC land that I am sorry that my posts are bringing out the ire in some. I have been informed that some posters are upset with me regarding my posts as being "negative". I am sorry that my opinions are taken as negative. They were either questions asked of me by parents and/or teachers in the GC system. I am proud to have graduated from Greenup and I love the kids and have always done anything and everything to help them. I do many things for the school that none of you would know, especially since I don't go around bragging about it. I don't need anyones praise.

I will no longer post on Greenup threads, period. Again, I am sorry that my questions and opinions are deamed negative. I will no longer do anything to aid in this portrayal of me or my reputation.

I don't think you're negative Doc. just somebody that wants to see GC do well. Keep posting. It would be boring without you!:dancingpa

Hey now, that isn't right. We all have our love of GCHS and we all feel things differently, I myself have been very negative on some regards but that doesn't keep me from rooting these boys on. It's not for us it's for the boys and we all need to keep that in mind. I don't think we should spend money on Turf IMO but I know a lot of people want it. The money could be used in a better fashion - LIGHTS - SEATS - RESTROOMS - A BETTER LOCKERROOM - but that's just me.

Please keep posting on these threads or I will have to follow you to the Raceland site to hear about the recipes and Senior dinners.

The one, combined team may work, but my concern is: Greenup County is a 4A school, and has to compete with like sized schools, thus numbers are important. I worry that only having one team will mean that Greenup County will only be receiving 20 football players at the freshmen level. That is not enough for a school the size of Greenup County. I honestly think that it would be better to try to boost the numbers at the two middle schools to support two teams, that would send 40 football players to the high school each year and be more in line with the numbers needed for a 4A school. Now, with that said, if you don't have the numbers, then you don't have the numbers.

I don't know the number for the other 4A schools, but I would say that most have more then one Junior High team. Beating Raceland and Russell would be nice for Greenup County, but the bottom line is, Greenup County has to be able to beat the 4A teams in their district, region, and the entire state. To do that numbers are important.

Just my opinion, nothing else.

Ram: A very thoughtful post as always. I don’t know about most 4A schools either. But, Boyd Co. just has one middle school and Lawrence Co. just has one middle school. Ashland is 5A and they just have one middle school. I have long thought that Ashland combining Coles and Putnam hurt their athletics. But, it may be that declining numbers have had a bigger impact. I know that Blazer's graduating classes are less than half of what they were in the early 70’s when they had two junior high schools. Two middle school teams would be great if you have the numbers to make it work.

I sincerely hope that Greenup Co. can get their football program turned around. It would be good for the whole area.

Ram: A very thoughtful post as always. I don’t know about most 4A schools either. But, Boyd Co. just has one middle school and Lawrence Co. just has one middle school. Ashland is 5A and they just have one middle school. I have long thought that Ashland combining Coles and Putnam hurt their athletics. But, it may be that declining numbers have had a bigger impact. I know that Blazer's graduating classes are less than half of what they were in the early 70’s when they had two junior high schools. Two middle school teams would be great if you have the numbers to make it work.

I sincerely hope that Greenup Co. can get their football program turned around. It would be good for the whole area.

This is interesting, I wonder how many other 4A schools have just one middle school?

This is interesting, I wonder how many other 4A schools have just one middle school?

Thanks for the complement and information Graybeard, your help is always appreciated.

PureFan, why don't you start a thread and ask, I am interested in the answer myself.

Youll be back, you cant stay away from me and you know it.:lol::lol::lol: