The Future of Greenup County Football

PureFan

Take Tyler Boyles, one of the best athletes in the area, and one of the best to come threw the area, 4.0 GPA, he is going to college to play a sport, but he gave up baseball to focus on football and basketball, and I have seen a great improvement in him in both sports this year. Would he have been as good in basketball and football if he continued to play baseball? Maybe, maybe not. But, he was mature enough to know that he was missing to many workouts in basketball and football to improve at the rate that he wanted to/needed to.

I would agree if you have goal in one sport then focus on it. Also if looking scholarship money football and basketball is alot better than baseball.:thumb:

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would agree if you have goal in one sport then focus on it. Also if looking scholarship money football and basketball is alot better than baseball.:thumb:

Agreed. I didn't mean to get to far off the subject, just saying............

Are we talking about next year's juniors? (Hampton's class) If so, then many of them play more than just football.

Corey Lyle Football/Basketball

Jordon Hamilton Football/Basketball

Nick Thornton Football/Track

Any others?

I also, don't feel I was being negative in my post, when I stated my opinion about multiple sports players or players coming out for Football after an extended absence. I have always been positive in my support of Greenup County, even when suggesting changes, or stating my opinion on matters concerning the program.

Are we talking about next year's juniors? (Hampton's class) If so, then many of them play more than just football.

Corey Lyle Football/Basketball

Jordon Hamilton Football/Basketball

Nick Thornton Football/Track

Any others?

I also, don't feel I was being negative in my post, when I stated my opinion about multiple sports players or players coming out for Football after an extended absence. I have always been positive in my support of Greenup County, even when suggesting changes, or stating my opinion on matters concerning the program.

No, this year's Juniors that will be Seniors next year. You probably wasn't negative. Just encourage the kids to try out and let see what happens. Coach Copley will make the calls.:thumb:

Question will Hampton be under age limit his senior year to play any sports? One time I heard he would be ninteen his senior year.

As long as he is 19 after August 1, he is OK.

Bylaw 3. Age

A student who becomes nineteen (19) years old before

August 1 shall be ineligible for interscholastic athletic

competition. A student who becomes nineteen (19) on or after

August 1 shall remain eligible for the entire school year. The

Board of Control and the Commissioner may not adopt

administrative procedures that allow for waiver of this rule

under any condition.

(Case situations related to this bylaw appear on pages 19

through 43 of this Handbook)

IMO if the coaches would be a little more supportive then you would have boys playing more than one sport. I know a freshmen who absolutely loves basketball and was very good he played football this year and by the time it was over the basketball coaches had all ready picked their teams and did not really give the new boys a chance. I do however believe if you are talented in a sport then give it all you got. But it also helps to play other sports and stay in shape until the next one arrives. But like I said JMO.

On another note there will be a Touchdown meeting tomorrow night at 6pm.We had several new faces at the last one and lots of people eager to help support the team and the coach.New officers were elected and now we have lots of planning to do,so everyone try and make it out.Things are looking really good for the team this year.Can't wait for the season to start.:clap:

On another note there will be a Touchdown meeting tomorrow night at 6pm.We had several new faces at the last one and lots of people eager to help support the team and the coach.New officers were elected and now we have lots of planning to do,so everyone try and make it out.Things are looking really good for the team this year.Can't wait for the season to start.:clap:

I thought this meeting was scheduled for Tuesday night, February 17th. That was the date given to Coach Copley, I believe.

There will be a Touchdown Club Meeting on Feb. 17 and Coach Copley will be there to meet with all interested people. The TD does have new officers and they will do an excellent job for the program and for the boys of Greenup County. Hope to see you there.:thumb:

I know that I will get hammered on this, I normally do, but.......

Playing three sports is very difficult now. It used to be common, but there were distinct seasons then. With basketball now having the regular season, the AAU season, summer open gyms, and players are expected to attend camps, it is hard to stay on top if you are playing multiple sports. Football is the same way, with the season, winter programs, spring practice, 7 on 7, and pre-season workouts and practice. Likewise, baseball it the same, the season, summer teams, fall teams, showcases, and winter clinics.

I am not saying that is can't be done, but you are going to miss a lot if you are playing multiple sports, and it is hard to excel on a team, or in a sport, when you are missing pretty much everything except the pre-season and season.

I gave up baseball and basketball, and football became "My sport", and I improved very much over the first year that I was not playing multiple sports. Likewise, I played with some players who were great athletes, that play all three. They never truly reached their potential, because they were missing a lot of workouts in all three sports. One player was one of the best athletes to play any sport in this area, but he never truly became dominate in any one sport, because he was missing a lot of workouts in all three sports.

Like I have said before, you can have anything that you want in this world, but you can't have it all. Something is going to suffer, and if you try to do to much, everything will suffer.

Sounds like Ram may be getting nerveous about the new coach and the talk of kids coming out to play. It may not be so easy for the Rams this fall.