The Future of Greenup County Football

PureFan

I believe that they'll update the lights, stands, pressbox and Fieldhouse. The field turf will have to wait. I think GC football will have to pay it's due's before they get something like that. I would say a couple of district title's or a regional title and 7-3 or better season's. I look for the field turf in 1-3years.

Don't give up on the turf just yet, we are still working on things behind the scenes and the board is aware of what it can bring in if operated in the correct way.

We are currently waiting on some news right now on a straw poll that was done after the meeting to see where we stand.

Business manager was a negative tone last night, I realize he is the business manager and is looking at the $'s but I think he went way to far and overstepped his boundaries, probably because he graduated from a different high school, but that is just my opinion

Edited by recpark

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think every parent that talked was worrying about playing. The women that mentioned Mckell having 50players last year, didn't realize that number would be smaller around 30-40kids to each grade. The 7th grade players wouldn't have to cater to the 8th graders. Also they go from 8mins a quater to 12mins(JFL to Middle School). They're going to pass more which would cause the clock to stop. Special Teams(Kickoff & Return, Punt & Return and Field Goals). They're going to learning the High School plays offense and defense which it will be hard for some players to pick up at first. It should be offense of starters should be the defense of backups and the Defense of starters are the offense of backups(22starters and plus special teams). This would have the middle schools competing and be competive in every game.

You are absolutely right, RecPark, handled correctly, with seperate 7th and 8th grade teams, our boys should have additional playing time, not less! There will be so much more opportunity for the coaches to develop these boys in more specialized positions. Working hand in hand with Coach Copley, these boys will learn HS plays, most likely have an opportunity to play games at the High School and be part of a great future for Greenup County.

Don't give up on the turf just yet, we are still working on things behind the scenes and the board is aware of what it can bring in if operated in the correct way.

We are currently waiting on some news right now on a straw poll that was done after the meeting to see where we stand.

Business manager was a negative tone last night, I realize he is the business manager and is looking at the $'s but I think he went way to far and overstepped his boundaries, probably because he graduated from a different high school, but that is just my opinion

Not giving up on the Turf, I think this is something that needs to be done. Talking more to the Board and business manager about how this can create additional revenue generating opportunities is a core piece of the puzzle. Having bowl games, band camps/competitions, soccer, etc, generating additional revenue, will help pay for the field and future maintenance costs.

I totally agree with you on the business manager.Some of the things he said were way out of place and just as the guest speaker told him should be discussed at a later time.He was just there to present the turf not to hear how much money we do or don't have. Keep working behind the scenes and keep us posted .:thumb:

I totally agree with you on the business manager.Some of the things he said were way out of place and just as the guest speaker told him should be discussed at a later time.He was just there to present the turf not to hear how much money we do or don't have. Keep working behind the scenes and keep us posted .:thumb:

This is what we need to do:

I just heard from a board member and we have them leaning our way but we need to call all the board members and tell them that we support it and how we are going to generate revenue over a 20 year period that we will have the turf. 1 million over 20 years is the cost, if we pay 50K a year for maintaining our present facility that is 1 million and we still have the same thing we got now. You add turf you have all the revenue from gate from the JFL's, middle school programs, soccer youth leagues and then the camps from band, soccer and football plus the first class facility you have that instills the community pride, it is a win-win situation and it will not only pay for itself over the 20 years it will make us some money and also be an economic tourism dollar impact on the community as a whole, that is the big picture.

We need to call our board members and tell them these things, if you need their numbers PM me and I will get them to you.

This can happen but we need to make it happen instead of finding the reasons it can't.

Doc, I agree with the current things going on in the economy, times are tough, that is for sure but our facilities are in very bad shape and the BOE wants this to be done for our kids, this will be for every kid in the county that plays soccer, football or a band instrument. We will have activities on the "complex" all year round from 9 a.m. - 9 p.m. 7 days a week and with the revenue generated from the activities the facility will pay for itself during the time of the financing of the facility if managed and scheduled properly, it is being done at other facilities that have installed the turf. This will not only make GCHS a first class facility but it will also give the community something to be very proud about and will keep our kids from going up the river and possibly bring more kids to GCHS in the soccer, football and music programs which will increase the federal dollars for the school which will in turn allow the BOE to hire more teachers. It is a vision that we have and we are looking at a 2-3 year plan to get it all done.

The turf can be done on a finance plan over an 8 year period which will not hurt the budget that much with initial costs, the other things will be done over a 2-3 year period.

What kind of activities do you think will go on all year round from 9 - 9? It is not like the movie, that stated, "build it and they will come." There has never been that many activities, and I don't think just because you have a turf field that this will make it any different. Besides, you can't rely on this for revenue.

What do you mean "won't hurt the budget"! Right now no one really knows what the budget is. The turf will cost around $650,000. If the board finances this it will cost $100,000 a year. Then approx. after 12 years you are out another $350,000 to upgrade. As I see it you are never out of a payment for more than a year or two. But why would you care, because you will be done after 2 or 3 years. How can you say that this is a good idea?

You also keep stating that kids are going to other schools. Have we forgotten about education? If parents really care about their kids, our schools, and the community, then they would see that the money be spent on something besides turf, like the future of our kids as they grow to become self sufficient adults making their own way.

Have you been to any of our schools? Teachers are teaching classes of 28 - 30 elementary grade students. Thus, they need more help. The art and music teachers do not even have their own rooms, the travel on a cart. We are looking at cutting teachers, and the money that the turf would come from, could be used for some of these things. Teachers use there own money to buy supplies for their classes, and you don't even hear them complain, but if the money goes for something like turf, I'm sure you will hear some feedback.

At the board meeting last night there was only 1 member who seemed to support the turf idea. It did not even get a motion made.

I was at the meeting and the business manager as you called him was not oversteppping his boundaries, he was just "putting it like it is", THERE IS NO MONEY FOR THIS RIGHT NOW, and I don't see how others do not see this.

What kind of activities do you think will go on all year round from 9 - 9? It is not like the movie, that stated, "build it and they will come." There has never been that many activities, and I don't think just because you have a turf field that this will make it any different. Besides, you can't rely on this for revenue.

What do you mean "won't hurt the budget"! Right now no one really knows what the budget is. The turf will cost around $650,000. If the board finances this it will cost $100,000 a year. Then approx. after 12 years you are out another $350,000 to upgrade. As I see it you are never out of a payment for more than a year or two. But why would you care, because you will be done after 2 or 3 years. How can you say that this is a good idea?

You also keep stating that kids are going to other schools. Have we forgotten about education? If parents really care about their kids, our schools, and the community, then they would see that the money be spent on something besides turf, like the future of our kids as they grow to become self sufficient adults making their own way.

Have you been to any of our schools? Teachers are teaching classes of 28 - 30 elementary grade students. Thus, they need more help. The art and music teachers do not even have their own rooms, the travel on a cart. We are looking at cutting teachers, and the money that the turf would come from, could be used for some of these things. Teachers use there own money to buy supplies for their classes, and you don't even hear them complain, but if the money goes for something like turf, I'm sure you will hear some feedback.

At the board meeting last night there was only 1 member who seemed to support the turf idea. It did not even get a motion made.

I will understand completely if no turf is installed, but the matter of the fieldhouse, lighting and facility upgrades must be addressed. There has been money spent on all the other sports facilitys at GC, and none on the biggest money maker for the school..Football. It is my understanding that there is money set aside for construction only, it cannot be used for books, supplies, etc. If this is the case, The football facilities have waited 30 years to be upgraded, it is well overdue.

I will understand completely if no turf is installed, but the matter of the fieldhouse, lighting and facility upgrades must be addressed. There has been money spent on all the other sports facilitys at GC, and none on the biggest money maker for the school..Football. It is my understanding that there is money set aside for construction only, it cannot be used for books, supplies, etc. If this is the case, The football facilities have waited 30 years to be upgraded, it is well overdue.

In these days and times we all must be reasonable concerning money, and the BOE is just like the rest of us. I agree about the No turf but we do need some lights and bleachers - this is a must.

Like I said GC football is going to have to pay it's dues. But if football alone raised the money in the next 1-3years and had it installed/maintence. Should the band(high school/middle school), soccer(high school/middle school/grade school), track(shot/discus) and P.E. classes be allowed to use it. Too me it wouldn't be right. I believe that the field turf will happen with or without the board money in the next 1-3years. I also believe football should not have to cater to other sports. Like coupon21 said football is the money maker, it truely is at all levels of sports. In the next couple of years if we're competing with the Russell/Wheelersburg/West Portsmouth/Raceland all four of would bring big crowds year in and year out for revenue and playing in the playoffs. The big thing for GC football is paying it's dues.

No, people won't just "Show up magically to use the field!" BUT, if handled properly, there could be activities going on at all times to help finance this project. Perhaps a "Usage Committee" should be formed with representatives from the community, soccer, band, football, etc. to explore/schedule the type of activites needed to finance this project.

I do understand that Greenup needs to put more money into Education, books, technology, teachers, etc. There are plenty of grants, both public and private to finance these types of things. There is also money in the Stimulus bill for education. Money for construction/Facility improvement can only come from one "pot".

You mention that Teachers are being cut, but at the Board meeting it was said that teachers will still get their scheduled raise next year. I also thought some of the "Teacher cuts" are related to a change in how Greenup does its' allocations, in order to bring us more in line with other districts. I am all for improving conditions for our teachers, but again, I thought these funds are from different sources.

Your comment, "But why would you care, because you will be done after 2 or 3 years." is not only arrogant it is completely untrue. Some of Greenup County's biggest supporters do not even have children in our school system. RecPark is huge supporter of Greenup County, and I am confident he will remain so, long after his son has graduated. As a member of the business community he is interested in what is best for Greenup County over the long term, and improving our facilities, is part of that.

You, and others, are welcome to share an opinion about this matter, but personally attacking someone for no other reason than to detract from what is trying to be accomplished is sophmoric. In my opinion, you owe RecPark an apology.

Very well put Purefan:thumb:Why is it that when someone tries to do good for a community there is always someone who tries to knock them down? I would love to see the Turf but if not I do believe that the other projects are a must,Football is indeed the biggest money maker for the school.

Very well put Purefan:thumb:Why is it that when someone tries to do good for a community there is always someone who tries to knock them down? I would love to see the Turf but if not I do believe that the other projects are a must,Football is indeed the biggest money maker for the school.

You are so right about that! How much money over the past 30 years has the Football program brought in to support all of the other sports? And where was the outrage when the new Tennis court went in, or improvements to the Baseball Field, or new furniture bought for the administrative offices?

You are so right about that! How much money over the past 30 years has the Football program brought in to support all of the other sports? And where was the outrage when the new Tennis court went in, or improvements to the Baseball Field, or new furniture bought for the administrative offices?

I don't believe football is the biggest, I believe it is Cheerleading - I know they have to bring in the bucks so that they can compete. :idunno:

Edited by Mom55
corrected the wording