Highlands Austin Collinsworth - All American

DMZ76

You are in the minority in that you obviously understand what value a great education has.

Some of these other jokers who don't understand an Ivy League education or a Stanford education versus an education from an SEC school (exception: Vanderbilt), I find comical.

I fully understand that Austin Collingsworth's mother went to UK and father went to Florida, two SEC schools. In my opinion, if both he and Tate Nichols have scholarship offers from Stanford and they can academically qualify (it isn't easy, even for recruited athletes), they ought to STRONGLY consider.

I read somewhere that of appoximately 100,000 seniors playing football in high schools about 200 of them make it to the NFL. That is about 0.2%. My guess would be the percentage of high school seniors who are able to academically qualify at Stanford University is less than that.

:thumb:

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are in the minority in that you obviously understand what value a great education has.

Some of these other jokers who don't understand an Ivy League education or a Stanford education versus an education from an SEC school (exception: Vanderbilt), I find comical.

I fully understand that Austin Collingsworth's mother went to UK and father went to Florida, two SEC schools. In my opinion, if both he and Tate Nichols have scholarship offers from Stanford and they can academically qualify (it isn't easy, even for recruited athletes), they ought to STRONGLY consider.

I read somewhere that of appoximately 100,000 seniors playing football in high schools about 200 of them make it to the NFL. That is about 0.2%. My guess would be the percentage of high school seniors who are able to academically qualify at Stanford University is less than that.

The problem with the logic that every kid should attend the best academic school they can get into is that you completely discount other factors. Its not that simple. They should "strongly" consider it but they should not go there simply because of its academic reputation. Kids are not robots.

You seem to be equating a kid choosing an academic institution to continue their education to being a robot. WOW!

You could not be further from reality.

Take a minute and re-read the post. The "robot" comment meant that the decision is not simply an "If then " equation.

Are you saying that AC or Tate should go to Stanford if offered?? Lets assume they are not offered free rides to an Ivy.

I believe the average ACT score to qualify for Stanford is a 30 composite. According to the ACT Website 6% of graduating Seniors would qualify.

http://www.actstudent.org/scores/norms1.html

Even if half of those did not qualify that would still be 3%.

I believe the average ACT score to qualify for Stanford is a 30 composite. According to the ACT Website 6% of graduating Seniors would qualify.

http://www.actstudent.org/scores/norms1.html

Even if half of those did not qualify that would still be 3%.

We are getting off the thread, but consider this.

According to the ACT website you mention, 96% of college students score a 30 composite or below on the test. Each year, only about 1 million of the approximately 3 million high school seniors even take the test. That is why the percentage is very small.

Stanford can be very selective in their academic recruiting process.

Take a minute and re-read the post. The "robot" comment meant that the decision is not simply an "If then " equation.

Are you saying that AC or Tate should go to Stanford if offered?? Lets assume they are not offered free rides to an Ivy.

I think that Austin Collingsworth's mother and father, both having attended law school, understand and emphasize education and both are probably tickled pink that their son might have the opportunity to go to such a prestigious university as Stanford and it be paid for due his academic/athletic accomplishments.

I am sure the same can be said for the Nichols family.

Selfishly, I would like to see the University of Kentucky get all the best recruits in the state of Kentucky.

However, I do understand that unique student athlete who can academically qualify to go to Division I schools such as Stanford, Duke, Northwestern, Rice, Vanderbilt, etc. and chose one of these schools over a football powerhouse or a team in the best conference in the country.

By the way, Stanford University is the highest ranked academic institution that plays Division I football........the Ivy League schools do not.

I think that Austin Collingsworth's mother and father, both having attended law school, understand and emphasize education and both are probably tickled pink that their son might have the opportunity to go to such a prestigious university as Stanford and it be paid for due his academic/athletic accomplishments.

I am sure the same can be said for the Nichols family.

Selfishly, I would like to see the University of Kentucky get all the best recruits in the state of Kentucky.

However, I do understand that unique student athlete who can academically qualify to go to Division I schools such as Stanford, Duke, Northwestern, Rice, Vanderbilt, etc. and chose one of these schools over a football powerhouse or a team in the best conference in the country.

By the way, Stanford University is the highest ranked academic institution that plays Division I football........the Ivy League schools do not.

You still haven't addressed my point. Just because one is academically qualified to attend any of the schools you listed does not mean it should be the choice the make. Its but one of many factors that go into the decision.

Just out of curiosity, what are the minimum academic qualifications for Stanford? Anybody know?

Just out of curiosity, what are the minimum academic qualifications for Stanford? Anybody know?

Middle 50% of those accepted scored between a 29 and 33 on the ACT or a SAT Match score between 680 and 790.

10% of applicants were accepted last year.

Absolutely. Its just not the only one nor should it be.

What started this line of discussion though, was basically that UK was being compared to Stanford, and IMO (and I believe in most people's opinions), there is no comparison. It's like comparing Lexus and Pontiac. A Pontiac will most definitely move you down the road, but how nice was the ride, and how much is the Pontiac worth at the end of it all? Now if you compare a Lexus and an Acura (read Florida), well, the question gets tougher.

While I'm sure there are people out there who when given their choice of free vehicles would take a Grand Am over an LS400, I think we can all agree that it's probably not the best choice over the long haul.

What started this line of discussion though, was basically that UK was being compared to Stanford, and IMO (and I believe in most people's opinions), there is no comparison. It's like comparing Lexus and Pontiac. A Pontiac will most definitely move you down the road, but how nice was the ride, and how much is the Pontiac worth at the end of it all? Now if you compare a Lexus and an Acura (read Florida), well, the question gets tougher.

While I'm sure there are people out there who when given their choice of free vehicles would take a Grand Am over an LS400, I think we can all agree that it's probably not the best choice over the long haul.

You should be a car salesman....I am ready to buy a car!!!!

Your post does make alot of sense: