Highlands Austin Collinsworth - All American

DMZ76

What started this line of discussion though, was basically that UK was being compared to Stanford, and IMO (and I believe in most people's opinions), there is no comparison. It's like comparing Lexus and Pontiac. A Pontiac will most definitely move you down the road, but how nice was the ride, and how much is the Pontiac worth at the end of it all? Now if you compare a Lexus and an Acura (read Florida), well, the question gets tougher.

While I'm sure there are people out there who when given their choice of free vehicles would take a Grand Am over an LS400, I think we can all agree that it's probably not the best choice over the long haul.

Unless you can tell me what a kid's desired major is and what he's looking for in a college/football life for four or five years the car analogy is useless.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I already gave up!

Anybody got a sledgehammer?

I'm not sure what you guys are giving up on. The thinking of some seems to be that education should be the be all end all when it comes to making this decision. That's fantasy land. There's no question Stanford is going to win an academic competition with 99% of the schools. However, AC , Tate, and others are looking at a school and using MANY factors to come to a decision.

That's the point. Otherwise, players offered by Stanford would never take a recruiting trip to Stanford or any other school.

I'm not sure what you guys are giving up on. The thinking of some seems to be that education should be the be all end all when it comes to making this decision. That's fantasy land. There's no question Stanford is going to win an academic competition with 99% of the schools. However, AC , Tate, and others are looking at a school and using MANY factors to come to a decision.

That's the point. Otherwise, players offered by Stanford would never take a recruiting trip to Stanford or any other school.

Your reasoning seems pretty clear to me. Even if I was offered a free ride to Stanford, I can think of at least five good reasons why I would still consider other scholarship offers from other schools. To base a college decision on simply one factor seems a little absurd to me.

Obviously there are several factors that any kid and his parents should consider when deciding what school to attend. Some factors matter more to some kids and his parents than other factors do. For some, getting to play quickly is a big deal. For some, playing in a particular conference is important. For some, the type of offense/defense played is a big deal. For some, the distance for home really matters. For some, the size of the school matters. For some, the relationship with the coaches is a big deal. For some, the quality of competition matters. For some, the preparation to play in the pros matters. For some, the academic reputation of a school and the perceived quality of education likely to be received matters (and inversely and unfortunately, for some, they put little or no emphasis on the quality of education they are likely to receive)

The point that many have been trying to make is that knowing Austin and his parents, the academic reputation and perceived quality of education to be received will be a very important factor. With Mom and Dad both being law school graduates, with paternal grandparents both being educators and with one maternal grandparent being an attorney and the other an educator, I have a very strong feeling that the academic factor will be a HUGE one and will in my opinion have a much higher priority than playing time, style of O or D and most if not all of other factors I listed. That's not to say that the other factors won't be considered. Not at all. But there are going to have to be some strong negatives next to Stanford's name on the sheet to outweigh the big academic positive.

Distance can be an issue for some people, but I think we need to keep in mind that we are talking about a very affluent family that can easily afford to fly back and forth to California every weekend to watch Austin play. Sure it would be more convenient for his family and friends to drive to Lex to watch AC play, but it would be foolish, just absolutely foolish to allow 4 or 5 years of convenience to outweigh the lifetime of benefits and advantages that a Stanford education could deliver.

Academics might not be the "end all" of "end alls", but it is a much, much important factor than you seem (at least to me) to be making it to be, or at least it is with some people and would be to me if Austin was my son. He makes All SEC or even All America playing at UK, UF etc. and suffers a career ending injury and what does he have? Squat. He gets a Stanford education and he may be set for life.

PS. Marines don't give up or surrender.

Distance can be an issue for some people, but I think we need to keep in mind that we are talking about a very affluent family that can easily afford to fly back and forth to California every weekend to watch Austin play. Sure it would be more convenient for his family and friends to drive to Lex to watch AC play, but it would be foolish, just absolutely foolish to allow 4 or 5 years of convenience to outweigh the lifetime of benefits and advantages that a Stanford education could deliver.

Stanford is an amazing place and if I was related to Austin I would have to encourage him to strongly consider it.

Distance may have to be considered though due to his father's work obligations that have a requirement that he be in New York on Saturday evenings. Though it may be possible, that is a challenging schedule to keep up for 4 years.

(If his dad would have been a marine maybe he could have handled it.)

Academics might not be the "end all" of "end alls", but it is a much, much important factor than you seem (at least to me) to be making it to be, .

I'm not discounting it all either in general or specifically for AC. You stated plenty of other factors that go into a decision. That's all I'm talking about.

I like the offer from UK ...The Big Blue ...for Austin. He won't have to buy a lot of new outfits.....He already has many Blue ones......

Rumor has it that AC was "the Dude" at the Sweetheart Dance in a PINK suit!! Obviously, he's a big supporter of breast cancer awareness!! :sssh: