Dodgers 3 Cubs 1

The Dodgers went 19-8 over their final 27 games entering the playoffs and are a different team with Manny than early in the season when they struggled.

The Dodgers also had a better September record (17-8) than the Red Sox (16-10).

Fact is, most people picked the Cubs or the Angels to win the World Series. While the Angels will not go out as quick as the Cubs, if they lose in the first round, including both games at home, it's a similar choke job.

However, it's not as fun to pile on the Angels as it is the Cubs because of the Cubs' past failures. However, the Angels are the AL version of the Cubs, with the Donnie Moore blown save and the monumental September collapse that allowed the Mariners to claim the division.

But I guess only one team is allowed to "choke"

If the Angels lose in 4 games, it's a choke. Teams that win 100 games aren't supposed to lose in the first round. Period.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Dodgers went 19-8 over their final 27 games entering the playoffs and are a different team with Manny than early in the season when they struggled.

Fact is, most people picked the Cubs or the Angels to win the World Series. While the Angels will not go out as quick as the Cubs, if they lose in the first round, including both games at home, it's a similar choke job.

However, it's not as fun to pile on the Angels as it is the Cubs because of the Cubs' past failures. However, the Angels are the AL version of the Cubs, with the Donnie Moore blown save and the monumental September collapse that allowed the Mariners to claim the division.

If the Angels lose in 4 games, it's a choke. Teams that win 100 games aren't supposed to lose in the first round. Period.

Not quite, the Angels do own a World Series Championship this decade, heck even in the last 100 years. Also, the Dodgers are for sure a better team with Manny but they still only own the 8th best record in the league. Besides it was Manny necessarily that beat the Cubs. James Loney had more RBIs than the entire Cubs team.

It is very easy for a 100 win team to lose in the first round to a team that won 95 games, is the defending champs and owns 2 out of the last 4 World Series. For the Angels to pull what the Cubs did they would have to get swept by the Indians (8th best record in AL who were also very hot in September)--not the defending World Series Champions.

Besides, the Angels at least had the heart to come up off the mat and win Game 4 instead of rolling over and breaking out the golf clubs. I don't think they'll be an easy out tonight or in a Game 5 either. The Cubs were only even competative in one game of the 3--all 3 of the Sox/Angels games have been nailbiters.

To be fair the majority of the fans on this site are fans of NL Central teams...be it the Reds, Cubs, or Cards. No one on here cares if the Angels lose because AL West fans are non exsistent on here. If the Reds made like the Cubs and choked like the Cubs we would be piling on them, same for the Cards. I am not putting you in this boat but most MLB fans I know do not root for teams in their divison if their team doesn't make it.

You can justify it however you want, but let me clarify a few things.

The Angels are NOT the AL version of the Cubs. The Angels won the World Series in 2002.

I would argue that some would not even consider the Red Sox beating the Angels an upset. The Red Sox play in a much tougher division, so it follows that their record would not be as impressive; similarly, the Red Sox have won 2 World Championships in the past 4 years, including last year's World Series. If anything, that makes them the team to beat in the AL.

A Wild Card team the team to beat? I know WCs have had some success but I dont remember any of them being the favorite to win the World Series.

The Angels won one World Series. I guess it puts them in the same neighborhood as the Atlanta Braves. How times did we hear the term "choke" with them.

The Angels finally winning ended decades of frustration of not being able to win the big one. Much like the Red Sox first WS title did the same, ending nearly 90 years of frustration.

What is everyone's record since the Manny trade? That's the Dodgers team in the playoffs, not the one that struggled in April and May.

And I'm sure everyone in the middle of the lineup has better numbers since late July.

Since you asked for it. Since the Manny Ramirez trade:

Cubs 32-20 .615

Dodgers 30-24 .555

Red Sox 34-19 .642

Angels 32-22 .593

So that shoots your theory of who is the better team now based on their current compostion down--the Dodgers still easily had the worst record. As a matter of fact if what happened since the trade is more important than what happened in April, May, etc. then it really isn't an upset at all that the Red Sox are up on the Angels since they had the best winning percentage of the 4 teams since the trade. By your own words this is correct, is it not? :thumb:

A Wild Card team the team to beat? I know WCs have had some success but I dont remember any of them being the favorite to win the World Series.

The Angels won one World Series. I guess it puts them in the same neighborhood as the Atlanta Braves. How times did we hear the term "choke" with them.

The Angels finally winning ended decades of frustration of not being able to win the big one. Much like the Red Sox first WS title did the same, ending nearly 90 years of frustration.

Not necessarily the wildcard team being the team to beat, but the defending world champions are the team to beat.

The Wildcard team won the World Series in 2002 (Angels), 2003 (Marlins), & 2004 (Red Sox). The Marlins were also the Wildcard team when they won in '97.

In 2000, the Mets were the Wildcard team. They lost in the World Series to the Yanks.

In 2001, the Cardinals were the Wildcard team. They lost to the eventual world champions, the Arizona Diamondbacks.

In 2002, the Giants were the Wildcard team. They lost in the World Series to the Angels.

In 2003, the Marlins were the Wildcard team and won the World Series.

In 2004, the Astros were the Wildcard team & lost to the Cardinals, who eventually lost to the BoSox (AL Wildcard) in the WS.

In 2005, the Astros were the Wildcard team & lost in the World Series to the White Sox.

In 2007, the Rockies were the Wildcard team and lost to the Red Sox in the World Series.

The American League's WildCard team has not had the same type of success. Only the Detroit Tigers (2006) have reached the World Series - and they lost to St. Louis.

What is everyone's record since the Manny trade? That's the Dodgers team in the playoffs, not the one that struggled in April and May.

And I'm sure everyone in the middle of the lineup has better numbers since late July.

Since you asked for it. Since the Manny Ramirez trade:

Cubs 32-20 .615

Dodgers 30-24 .555

Red Sox 34-19 .642

Angels 32-22 .593

So that shoots your theory of who is the better team now based on their current compostion down--the Dodgers still easily had the worst record. As a matter of fact if what happened since the trade is more important than what happened in April, May, etc. then it really isn't an upset at all that the Red Sox are up on the Angels since they had the best winning percentage of the 4 teams since the trade. By your own words this is correct, is it not? :thumb:

No comment on this? As you can see the Cubs losing was much more of an upset than the Red Sox beating the Angels--by your own criteria.