Christianity

thewalrus

Anyone else think nowadays to many preachers are watering down christianity to be a feel good, do good religion. Leaving out the hard on the ears sin, eternal punishment to non believers, and Jesus is coming back and you better be ready. Most people dont want to hear it and it seems more people will come give their money to the lord more if it is a feel good sermon...

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If one reads this very forum often, one can conclude that in today's mindset it is considered 'hate' to condemn a sin, a lifestyle, or an act. I think many ministers fear they would be preaching to an empty pew.

...they may be right.

I agree, this has been going on for decades in the U.S. Having traveled a bit, and dealt with missionaries in foreign lands where the Gospel is exploding, I sometimes wonder if we even preach or hear the same gospel Jesus intended.

The unfortunate corollary to preachers and followers being too warm and fuzzy and soft, are congregations where preachers and parishioners recognize this softness in others and become hypercritical or hyper judgmental of others. It's the old log and splinter parable. I know many who feel superior because they haven't missed a Sunday in five or ten years, or because they only wear their “Sunday best” to church, but turn around without a thought and spread unconfirmed gossip about or actively work to undermine a brother or sister they don't like or think is not doing things the right way.

Ironically, the end result is the same. The feel good church preaching a watered down Gospel clearly risks not informing and equipping its congregation with the full Gospel. The judgmental church risks being so critical that no one can possibly measure up. Both extremes place more emphasis on outside feelings, appearances or actions... all the while placing impediments between potential new Christians and their God.

Considering the fact that Jesus reserved His harshest criticism for the Pharisees and Sadducees, I have to believe that those who know the Word but use it to fuel their own feelings of superiority or to justify their harsh judgments will ultimately receive the same measure from their Creator. The warm and fuzzy church, that uses a watered down Gospel merely to fill the pews and boost “tithing” for new buildings and corporate executive equivalent salaries for preachers and staff are risking much as well. Both run the risk of producing “white washed sepulchers” beautiful on the outside, but full of dead men's bones and uncleanness.

Let me be clear, I do not endorse either approach in their extreme versions. I do however, believe there is solid ground between the extremes. We need to hear and preach the full Gospel , but we also need to keep in mind that the Gospel was intended to be “Good News” to those who hear it. I have seen many ways in which judgment and harshness have done harm, but I don’t know how we can go wrong with love and mercy based upon the Truth. :thumb:

I agree, this has been going on for decades in the U.S. Having traveled a bit, and dealt with missionaries in foreign lands where the Gospel is exploding, I sometimes wonder if we even preach or hear the same gospel Jesus intended.

The unfortunate corollary to preachers and followers being too warm and fuzzy and soft, are congregations where preachers and parishioners recognize this softness in others and become hypercritical or hyper judgmental of others. It's the old log and splinter parable. I know many who feel superior because they haven't missed a Sunday in five or ten years, or because they only wear their “Sunday best” to church, but turn around without a thought and spread unconfirmed gossip about or actively work to undermine a brother or sister they don't like or think is not doing things the right way.

Ironically, the end result is the same. The feel good church preaching a watered down Gospel clearly risks not informing and equipping its congregation with the full Gospel. The judgmental church risks being so critical that no one can possibly measure up. Both extremes place more emphasis on outside feelings, appearances or actions... all the while placing impediments between potential new Christians and their God.

Considering the fact that Jesus reserved His harshest criticism for the Pharisees and Sadducees, I have to believe that those who know the Word but use it to fuel their own feelings of superiority or to justify their harsh judgments will ultimately receive the same measure from their Creator. The warm and fuzzy church, that uses a watered down Gospel merely to fill the pews and boost “tithing” for new buildings and corporate executive equivalent salaries for preachers and staff are risking much as well. Both run the risk of producing “white washed sepulchers” beautiful on the outside, but full of dead men's bones and uncleanness.

Let me be clear, I do not endorse either approach in their extreme versions. I do however, believe there is solid ground between the extremes. We need to hear and preach the full Gospel , but we also need to keep in mind that the Gospel was intended to be “Good News” to those who hear it. I have seen many ways in which judgment and harshness have done harm, but I don’t know how we can go wrong with love and mercy based upon the Truth. :thumb:

I don't think I can improve on your answer. Thanks for taking the time to outline what is much more complex than some realize and much more involved than some really know. :thumb:

I've often been told, "Just step on my toes if you have to preacher." But what I've found is that those tend to scream and they mean the other person's toes, not theirs. Much of what is labeled as Biblical preaching on Sin deals with the sin of others that aren't even present that day.

What I believe is that for too many pastors, teaching biblical Truth is too darned hard.

While I agree with your sentiment... I find that "preaching" Biblical Truth is easy compared to actually "living" Biblical Truth.

IMO, too many settle for preaching and fingerpointing and gossip rather than actually putting what they know they should do into practice. Loving the unlovable ain't easy. Pointing out their sin and feeling good we're not caught in their particular sin is easy.

Pride doomed Lucifer and the Pharisees, why do we think we're any different?

When Jesus sent the 12 out he gave this as their instructions "Take nothing for the journey except a staff-no bread, no bag, no money in your belt. Wear sandles but not an extra tunic. Whenever you enter a house stay until you leave that town.And if any place will not welcome you or listen to you, shake the dust off your feet when you leave as a atestimony against. Mark6:8-11 (NIV).

I put this in here to make a point about the original pastors. But I wanted to get everyone elses thought.:confused:

Here is another food for thought

Luke 14:25-35 (NIV)

Large crowds were traveling with Jesus, and turning to them he said "If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, wife and children, his brothers and sisters-yes even his own life-he can not be my disciple. And anyone who does not carry his cross and follow me cannot be my disciple. Suppose one of you want to build a tower. Will he not first sit down and estimate the cost to see if he has enough money to complete it? For if he lays the foundation and is not able to finish it, everyone who sees it will ridicule him, saying 'This fellow began to build and was not able to finish.' Or suppose a king is about to go to war against another king. Will he not first sit down and consider whether he is able with ten thousand men to oppose the one coming against him with twenty thousand? If he is not able, he will send a delegation while the other is still a long way off and will ask for terms of peace. In the same way, any of you who does not give up everything he has cannot be my disciple. Salt is good but if it loses its saltiness how can it be made salty again? It is fit neither for the soil nor for the manure pile. It is thrown out. He who has ears to hear, let him hear!

Three questions:

Why do you not hear this message preached?

What is the point of this message?

Is this essence of discipleship, if not what is it?

Very good points. I guess this raises my biggest question: Why is it nearly impossible for churches to find the important balance needed to cover both angles of Christ's teaching?

Very good points. I guess this raises my biggest question: Why is it nearly impossible for churches to find the important balance needed to cover both angles of Christ's teaching?
Too many egos and pride in the way is my best guess.

There are many awesome churches very close to this perfect balance. They aren't quite perfect however, again because people are involved. :thumb:

I quit seeking the "perfect" church when I realized I'd ruin it just by joining. :lol:

IMO, the best thing to do is roll up our sleeves. get plugged in and start making a difference... even if it's just a tiny difference, and let the results belong to God, (instead of wearing them as some kind of crown or badge of our own accomplishments.)

Too many egos and pride in the way is my best guess.

There are many awesome churches very close to this perfect balance. They aren't quite perfect however, again because people are involved. :thumb:

I quit seeking the "perfect" church when I realized I'd ruin it just by joining. :lol:

IMO, the best thing to do is roll up our sleeves. get plugged in and start making a difference... even if it's just a tiny difference, and let the results belong to God, (instead of wearing them as some kind of crown or badge of our own accomplishments.)

The perfect church is Christ's church.